Cricket 24/7  

Welcome to the Cricket 24/7.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. There are also more forums available to members, such as the Lounge - where members chat about just about anything under the sun except cricket!

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.


Go Back   Cricket 24/7 > Cricket Discussion Forums > The Kim Jones Domestic Cricket Forum
Register FAQDonate Members List Calendar Casino Articles Terms of Use Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 29th September 2016, 01:26   #61
1000yardstare
Posting Goddess
 
1000yardstare's Avatar
JA 795 Wagner 118 TCurran 7 SCurran 0 Cummins 101
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: London
Posts: 20,230
How did Lyth get in there. 1133 runs at 40.66.

Hameed 1198 at 49.91
Gubbins 1409 at 61.26
Trescothick 1239 at 51.62

or Dawson 33.89/43.85

Sam Curran 39.33/27.85
1000yardstare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th September 2016, 07:53   #62
Minor Maggie
Buttleresque
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Leeds
Team(s): Lancashire, England
Posts: 26,678
Surprised that Hameed didn't get in there with his test call up.
Minor Maggie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th September 2016, 08:35   #63
Sir Virgs and Zamora
Posting God
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 18,531
Lyth over gubbins lol.

One from the top two teams and three warks bowlers who could have been relegated as we started the last matches. Funny old game.
Sir Virgs and Zamora is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th September 2016, 08:37   #64
Sir Virgs and Zamora
Posting God
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 18,531
Jake ball could carry on being a bit miffed too. Carried an attack (when he played) all summer.
Sir Virgs and Zamora is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th September 2016, 08:46   #65
Ali TT
Posting God
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 16,697
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir Virgs and Zamora View Post
Lyth over gubbins lol.

One from the top two teams and three warks bowlers who could have been relegated as we started the last matches. Funny old game.
For his courageous and sporting decision on the last day at Lords that created such an exciting climax to the season?
__________________
WARNING
Reading the above post may cause bouts of nausea.
Ali TT is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 29th September 2016, 08:47   #66
cabinboy
Posting God
 
cabinboy's Avatar
Do Gooder
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 13,096
Good choice, I couldn't see anybody but Lyth.
cabinboy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 29th September 2016, 08:50   #67
Sir Virgs and Zamora
Posting God
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 18,531
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ali TT View Post
For his courageous and sporting decision on the last day at Lords that created such an exciting climax to the season?
Don't worry I am over it now. I have accepted that Somerset doctored their pitches which is just the same. This is why we picked up two 23 point wins in the last two games.
Sir Virgs and Zamora is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th September 2016, 10:41   #68
Summer of '77
World Class
 
Summer of '77's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: London-Essex
Team(s): Kent, Essex, Surrey Stars
Posts: 7,580
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1000yardstare View Post
How did Lyth get in there. 1133 runs at 40.66.

Gubbins 1409 at 61.26
Gubbins' performance is even more admirable when filtered to show his stats against the teams that finished in the top four places of the table, below Middx:

Somerset: 109: 67, 76
Yorkshire: 43: 125, 93
Durham: 60: 145
Surrey: 91: 82, 5

896 runs in 11 innings, ave 81.45. 3 centuries, 6 fifties, one single figure score. Should arguably have been, in both senses of the term, the first name on the teamsheet.
Summer of '77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th September 2016, 11:29   #69
Notts Exile
International Cricketer
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Location: Berkshire
Team(s): Notts and Forest
Posts: 2,061
Bizarre. Or maybe not? Lyth is obviously a bigger name so many of his fellow pros would vote for him instead. Many of the Division Two players may know little about Gubbins but would know Lyth from his time with England and the fact that he has received far more press coverage.
Notts Exile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th September 2016, 11:40   #70
D/L
World Class
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Leeds
Team(s): Yorkshire CCC & England, Wakefield Trinity RLFC, Leeds Carnegie RUFC
Posts: 6,611
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1000yardstare View Post
How did Lyth get in there. 1133 runs at 40.66.

Hameed 1198 at 49.91
Gubbins 1409 at 61.26
Trescothick 1239 at 51.62

or Dawson 33.89/43.85

Sam Curran 39.33/27.85
Perhaps it wasn't a judgment based purely upon a mathematical calculation and innings contexts were taken into account.

Any road up, an interesting and refreshing change from a frequent dose of ICC rankings.
D/L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th September 2016, 11:49   #71
Summer of '77
World Class
 
Summer of '77's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: London-Essex
Team(s): Kent, Essex, Surrey Stars
Posts: 7,580
Quote:
Originally Posted by Notts Exile View Post
Bizarre. Or maybe not? Lyth is obviously a bigger name so many of his fellow pros would vote for him instead. Many of the Division Two players may know little about Gubbins but would know Lyth from his time with England and the fact that he has received far more press coverage.
There's probably some truth in that.

Only one Kent player featured, but got the big one of Player of the Summer.
Summer of '77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th September 2016, 11:55   #72
Prince of Denmark
International Material
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Sydenham Hill
Team(s): Surrey CCC, Dulwich Hamlet FC, England
Age: 51
Posts: 1,793
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1000yardstare View Post


Prince couldn't get in with 1478 runs and Root didn't play one game for Yorks.

At least Tom Curran received Young Player of the Year.
Someone bearing a remarkable resemblance to Root scored a double century and participated in an all time county record for any wicket when I visited Headingley for the Championship match against Surrey.

Presumably all matches count in all formats for county and country.

Tom Curran was Surrey's highest scorer on that polling scale. Played every match I think in all three competitions (except when he was on Englnad Lions duty, with those matches also counting I presume), had a steady season, bowled more overs than anyone else in many games. It looks like the whole thing is based on game time and consistently contributing something rather than eyecatching performances in specific matches.
Prince of Denmark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th September 2016, 11:57   #73
Essexfan
Club Cricketer
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 152
The team of the year was based on the whole of the English summer. Test matches, ODIs, CC, 50 overs and T20 Blast. Gubbins for instance had a very poor season in white ball cricket. It's also based on the PCA rankings they have throughout the summer.
http://www.thepca.co.uk/competition-...l?comp=overall

I have no idea how they factor the England players in this or why Joe Leach isn't in it but this is the tweet put out

Congratulations to this 11, captained by @root66 who have won the @GreeneKingIPA Team of the Year based on the @PCAmvp
Essexfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th September 2016, 12:03   #74
Summer of '77
World Class
 
Summer of '77's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: London-Essex
Team(s): Kent, Essex, Surrey Stars
Posts: 7,580
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prince of Denmark View Post
Someone bearing a remarkable resemblance to Root scored a double century and participated in an all time county record for any wicket when I visited Headingley for the Championship match against Surrey.
1000YS's comment was from last September (hence the reference to Prince) !
Summer of '77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th September 2016, 12:06   #75
Summer of '77
World Class
 
Summer of '77's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: London-Essex
Team(s): Kent, Essex, Surrey Stars
Posts: 7,580
Quote:
Originally Posted by Essexfan View Post
The team of the year was based on the whole of the English summer. Test matches, ODIs, CC, 50 overs and T20 Blast. Gubbins for instance had a very poor season in white ball cricket. It's also based on the PCA rankings they have throughout the summer.
http://www.thepca.co.uk/competition-...l?comp=overall

I have no idea how they factor the England players in this or why Joe Leach isn't in it but this is the tweet put out

Congratulations to this 11, captained by @root66 who have won the @GreeneKingIPA Team of the Year based on the @PCAmvp
Thanks for explaining that, Essexfan.

Now that I know that T20 stuff is included, I can happily lose interest !
Summer of '77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th September 2016, 12:14   #76
geoff_boycotts_grandmother
Posting God
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 27,159
Quote:
Originally Posted by Summer of '77 View Post
There's probably some truth in that.

Only one Kent player featured, but got the big one of Player of the Summer.
Eh?


Quote:
Originally Posted by Essexfan View Post
The team of the year was based on the whole of the English summer. Test matches, ODIs, CC, 50 overs and T20 Blast. Gubbins for instance had a very poor season in white ball cricket. It's also based on the PCA rankings they have throughout the summer.
http://www.thepca.co.uk/competition-...l?comp=overall

I have no idea how they factor the England players in this or why Joe Leach isn't in it but this is the tweet put out

Congratulations to this 11, captained by @root66 who have won the @GreeneKingIPA Team of the Year based on the @PCAmvp
Joe Root wasn't in the top 100 according to that, so how did he make it?
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michelle Fivefer
It was a poor innings by Bell with the bat.
geoff_boycotts_grandmother is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th September 2016, 12:27   #77
Essexfan
Club Cricketer
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 152
Quote:
Originally Posted by geoff_boycotts_grandmother View Post
Eh?




Joe Root wasn't in the top 100 according to that, so how did he make it?
http://www.thepca.co.uk/competition-...=international

This is the England international version from this summer. They obviously factored this in somehow.
Essexfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th September 2016, 12:32   #78
Notts Exile
International Cricketer
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Location: Berkshire
Team(s): Notts and Forest
Posts: 2,061
Quote:
Originally Posted by D/L View Post
Perhaps it wasn't a judgment based purely upon a mathematical calculation and innings contexts were taken into account.
So tell me, did Lyth perform really well in Yorkshire's big games?
I don't think so, in the final two games, just for starters, when Middlesex needed him Gubbins stood up to be counted whereas Lyth didn't.

As usual your Yorkshire bias blinds you from the obvious, that the outcome here had little to do with performances or context, and more to do with being a "name".
Notts Exile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th September 2016, 12:36   #79
Essexfan
Club Cricketer
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 152
Quote:
Originally Posted by Notts Exile View Post
So tell me, did Lyth perform really well in Yorkshire's big games?
I don't think so, in the final two games, just for starters, when Middlesex needed him Gubbins stood up to be counted whereas Lyth didn't.

As usual your Yorkshire bias blinds you from the obvious, that the outcome here had little to do with performances or context, and more to do with being a "name".
http://www.thepca.co.uk/competition-...l?comp=overall

It was to do with the fact he was the second highest ranked opener, after Jennings, in the PCA rankings.
Essexfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th September 2016, 12:37   #80
Summer of '77
World Class
 
Summer of '77's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: London-Essex
Team(s): Kent, Essex, Surrey Stars
Posts: 7,580
Quote:
Originally Posted by geoff_boycotts_grandmother View Post
Eh?
Tamsin Tiley Beaumont
Summer of '77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 17:45.



Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Cricket247.org