Cricket 24/7  

Welcome to the Cricket 24/7.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. There are also more forums available to members, such as the Lounge - where members chat about just about anything under the sun except cricket!

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.


Go Back   Cricket 24/7 > Cricket Discussion Forums > England
Register FAQDonate Members List Calendar Casino Articles Terms of Use Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 19th May 2016, 09:00   #161
Sir Virgs and Zamora
Posting God
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 20,390
Quote:
Originally Posted by cabinboy View Post
No reason why Kerrigan wouldn't. People place too much emphasis on one off nightmare performances. I would pick Kerrigan without blinking especially as the batsman/spinner strategy is failing.
On what basis is it failing? Losing the ashes? Losing in South Africa? We had two spinners in uae and lost. Losing at home to India?

Oh no we won those. And if we win vs Sri Lanka and Pakistan this summer then we will hold all the test trophies. Not exactly failing is it?

If Kerrigan is a far better bowler than I am all for picking him. Or at least he should be tried this winter. But it might be that he fell apart in England environment and not just in the match. Didn't I read similar happened to Napier with squad?
Sir Virgs and Zamora is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th May 2016, 10:00   #162
Redmachine
International Material
 
Join Date: Jan 2016
Posts: 1,217
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir Virgs and Zamora View Post
On what basis is it failing? Losing the ashes? Losing in South Africa? We had two spinners in uae and lost. Losing at home to India?

Oh no we won those. And if we win vs Sri Lanka and Pakistan this summer then we will hold all the test trophies. Not exactly failing is it?

If Kerrigan is a far better bowler than I am all for picking him. Or at least he should be tried this winter. But it might be that he fell apart in England environment and not just in the match. Didn't I read similar happened to Napier with squad?
Yeah that's fair enough. I was at the oval in 2013 and to be honest his body language in the field was all wrong before he bowled. He looked like a young 3rd Xl colt who had been roped into playing for the 1st Xl due to a late injury.
Redmachine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th May 2016, 15:51   #163
Jock McTuffnel v3
World Class
 
Jock McTuffnel v3's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Cambridge
Team(s): England
Posts: 6,626
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir Virgs and Zamora View Post
On what basis is it failing? Losing the ashes? Losing in South Africa? We had two spinners in uae and lost. Losing at home to India?

Oh no we won those. And if we win vs Sri Lanka and Pakistan this summer then we will hold all the test trophies. Not exactly failing is it?

If Kerrigan is a far better bowler than I am all for picking him. Or at least he should be tried this winter. But it might be that he fell apart in England environment and not just in the match. Didn't I read similar happened to Napier with squad?
Losing 0-3 away to Pakistan ? Failing to beat the Windies away and NZ at home.

Dreadful results.
__________________
Jock McTuffnel v3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th May 2016, 11:11   #164
Sir Virgs and Zamora
Posting God
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 20,390
Jack leach takes his 50th first class wicket. His average is 31. Not bad for a spinner.
Sir Virgs and Zamora is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th May 2016, 11:36   #165
Bestie
International Material
 
Join Date: May 2016
Location: Exeter
Posts: 1,409
Yep looks like he might be a decent prospect. Only a couple of months older than Ansari.
Bestie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th May 2016, 11:38   #166
Ali TT
Posting God
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 18,785
Can be bat?
__________________
WARNING
Reading the above post may cause bouts of nausea.
Ali TT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th May 2016, 11:40   #167
Notts Exile
International Cricketer
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Location: Berkshire
Team(s): Notts and Forest
Posts: 2,386
11 wickets @ 32 this season?

Samit has 14 @ 27!!
Notts Exile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th May 2016, 14:11   #168
Fatslogger
Self Confessed Mentalist
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Hitchin
Team(s): England and Liverpool
Age: 42
Posts: 43,374
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ali TT View Post
Can be bat?
Not so as you'd notice, no.
__________________
Work is the curse of the drinking classes - Wilde
Fatslogger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th May 2016, 14:26   #169
Sir Virgs and Zamora
Posting God
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 20,390
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ali TT View Post
Can be bat?
Made hundreds for the seconds but not really.
Sir Virgs and Zamora is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th May 2016, 14:46   #170
Jock McTuffnel v3
World Class
 
Jock McTuffnel v3's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Cambridge
Team(s): England
Posts: 6,626
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fatslogger View Post
Not so as you'd notice, no.
The incumbent test "spinner" averages 23 with the bat and 48 with the ball in the last 12 months - not a high bar to clear.
__________________
Jock McTuffnel v3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th May 2016, 14:59   #171
Sir Virgs and Zamora
Posting God
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 20,390
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jock McTuffnel v3 View Post
The incumbent test "spinner" averages 23 with the bat and 48 with the ball in the last 12 months - not a high bar to clear.
Too high for Adil who averaged 20 and 70 but got a five fer so all good.
Sir Virgs and Zamora is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th May 2016, 15:16   #172
Jock McTuffnel v3
World Class
 
Jock McTuffnel v3's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Cambridge
Team(s): England
Posts: 6,626
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir Virgs and Zamora View Post
Too high for Adil who averaged 20 and 70 but got a five fer so all good.
In their last 3 tests

Rashid : 8 wickets, 1 5 fer , ave 69.50

Moeen : 3 wickets 0 5 fer , ave 71.33



Craig White had a century and 3 5 fers by his 30th and last test.
Derek Pringle had none and 3 5 fers by his 30th and last test.

Moeen has one and one after 24.

Will he England's worst all rounder to play 30 tests ?
__________________
Jock McTuffnel v3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th May 2016, 15:28   #173
slop
Posting God
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Cambridge
Team(s): South Africa
Age: 42
Posts: 18,805
slop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th May 2016, 19:48   #174
Ali TT
Posting God
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 18,785
Quote:
Originally Posted by slop View Post
I still can't view this as anything other than bald men fighting over a comb.
__________________
WARNING
Reading the above post may cause bouts of nausea.
Ali TT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th May 2016, 10:49   #175
Bestie
International Material
 
Join Date: May 2016
Location: Exeter
Posts: 1,409
Noticed the much-vaunted Mason Crane had decent figures for Hants against Notts - 6/89 in the match. Got the impression his star had waned a touch after his spectacular start at the end of last season with a fairly quiet winter with the under 19s and an innocuous start to the season. I would quite like to get to see him play but haven't had the chance yet so I don't really know how good he is. Obviously still going to be years away from the finished article.
Bestie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th May 2016, 11:48   #176
Ali TT
Posting God
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 18,785
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bestie View Post
Noticed the much-vaunted Mason Crane had decent figures for Hants against Notts - 6/89 in the match. Got the impression his star had waned a touch after his spectacular start at the end of last season with a fairly quiet winter with the under 19s and an innocuous start to the season. I would quite like to get to see him play but haven't had the chance yet so I don't really know how good he is. Obviously still going to be years away from the finished article.
There's a few videos of him on YouTube. He has quite an open action which I guess allows him to drift the ball away on his leg break but may mean his googly is less effective. Seems a bit nippier than Rashid.

He's only nineteen, but I think he is already a better prospect than many of the other young spinners around.
__________________
WARNING
Reading the above post may cause bouts of nausea.
Ali TT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th May 2016, 15:17   #177
JRC67
International Material
 
Join Date: Oct 2015
Posts: 1,552
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jock McTuffnel v3 View Post
In their last 3 tests

Rashid : 8 wickets, 1 5 fer , ave 69.50

Moeen : 3 wickets 0 5 fer , ave 71.33



Craig White had a century and 3 5 fers by his 30th and last test.
Derek Pringle had none and 3 5 fers by his 30th and last test.

Moeen has one and one after 24.

Will he England's worst all rounder to play 30 tests ?
I think you'll find

Rashid 8 at 69.5
Ali 4 at 54

Batting

Rashid 20.66
Ali 30

I think you'll find you've used Ali's worst 3 match run not his last 3 matches. Ali's figures would have been better but for Bairstow's dropped catch.

Frankly your comparison with White and Pringle is not particularly insightful. Ali has already taken more wickets than White in 6 less tests and only 5 less than Pringle. He has a better batting average than White and a much better one than Pringle who only averaged 15. He also has the lowest strike rate per wicket.

The biggest difference when you look at the bowling is Ali has taken wickets in all bar 2 tests he's played, whereas White and Pringle both failed to take wickets in 7 plus. So yes Ali has fewer 5 wicket hauls but he more regularly chips in with some wickets and they are more often than not top-order batsman. Pringle played a reasonable number of tests as first change bowler and quite often in a 4 man attack, White in a few tests and Ali not at all, so both will have had more opportunity to take 5 wickets. Ali is also part of an attack with the best pace bowling partnership since Botham and Willis and possibly even before that, which does mean he gets relatively little opportunity to bowl at the tail - because any sane Captain will bring one or both on when the tail comes in and both are now excellent and clearing up the tail, particularly Broad. The only time Ali has taken tail end wickets recently was when Anderson was injured.

In terms of what they brought to the team Ali and White is the fairer comparison - as all rounders there records are well ahead of Pringle, although Pringle's bowling average is better than I remember. Both were mainly used as a 5th bowler, White once or twice as a 4th bowler. Ali's batting and bowling records are more consistent and White had occasional high batting scores but fewer decent innings - almost all of which came in his last 6 tests. Ali also has the more consistent bowling record, White more likely to take 5 wickets and also get none and go for a few. Both were/are decent cricketers who contributed something. Of the 3 Ali will have most runs, most wickets, the highest batting average, the lowest bowling strike rate but probably the highest bowling average by the end of the summer when he will have reached 30 tests. Both White and Ali actually took a lot of top order wickets, so the value of both as bowlers is a little understated by stats - if your bowling average is 40 and you mainly bowl at batsmen averaging 45 you aren't actually doing that badly.
JRC67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th May 2016, 16:46   #178
Jock McTuffnel v3
World Class
 
Jock McTuffnel v3's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Cambridge
Team(s): England
Posts: 6,626
Mail reports from the last chance saloon.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/cri...ket-needs.html

Ali's recent struggles with the bat are beginning to hang over his career like the sword of Damocles. Since hitting an unbeaten 72 from 46 balls in a Twenty20 international against Australia at Cardiff last summer, he has made 381 runs in 35 innings in all formats for England.

His average across that period is 14 and he has managed just one half-century. Sixteen times he has been dismissed in single figures, of which 10 innings have been either 1 or 0 – including last week's duck in Leeds.
__________________
Jock McTuffnel v3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th May 2016, 16:54   #179
Comte Nom de Plume
County 1st Team
 
Comte Nom de Plume's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Gloucestershire
Team(s): Worcs and Yorks CCCs
Posts: 445
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jock McTuffnel v3 View Post
Mail reports from the last chance saloon.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/cri...ket-needs.html

Ali's recent struggles with the bat are beginning to hang over his career like the sword of Damocles. Since hitting an unbeaten 72 from 46 balls in a Twenty20 international against Australia at Cardiff last summer, he has made 381 runs in 35 innings in all formats for England.

His average across that period is 14 and he has managed just one half-century. Sixteen times he has been dismissed in single figures, of which 10 innings have been either 1 or 0 including last week's duck in Leeds.
When does mindlessly repetitive commentary morph into a dangerous obsession? Please confine your answer to no more than 100 words.
Comte Nom de Plume is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th May 2016, 19:01   #180
square leg umpire
Legendary
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: yorkshire
Team(s): yorkshire
Posts: 8,543
Suppose if Ali is put at number 8 he'll bat like a number 8. Like when Stokes batted at 9 he played like one.
square leg umpire is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 07:19.



Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Cricket247.org