Cricket 24/7  

Welcome to the Cricket 24/7.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. There are also more forums available to members, such as the Lounge - where members chat about just about anything under the sun except cricket!

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.


Go Back   Cricket 24/7 > Cricket Discussion Forums > The Kim Jones Domestic Cricket Forum
Register FAQDonate Members List Calendar Casino Articles Terms of Use Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 6th May 2018, 21:26   #221
paulsre
World Class
 
paulsre's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: In a class 101 Met Cam time machine to the past
Team(s): Stockholm Taverners CC, Farsta BCCE, County cricket, MCCU cricket, England, Scarborough CC
Posts: 6,160
Attended Surrey v Worcs day 3 with Prince of Denmark & Summer of Ď77 in summer of Ď76 weather.
paulsre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th May 2018, 22:29   #222
Summer of '77
Legendary
 
Summer of '77's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: London-Essex
Team(s): Kent, Essex, Surrey Stars
Posts: 9,237
Quote:
Originally Posted by paulsre View Post
Attended Surrey v Worcs day 3 with Prince of Denmark & Summer of ‘77 in summer of ‘76 weather.
Nothing like as absorbing as Friday's fare but a lovely day nevertheless. Joe Clarke played with great assurance and no little class but, apart from a spate of well directed risers from his namesake Rikki, he wasn't overly tested by the benign surface and a less than optimum home attack. Amar Virdi's wicket celebrations - aeroplane gestures which saw him run half way to the cover boundary - were possibly the most memorable moments of the day. We mused over whether Worcs might daringly declare in arrears once the 110 overs were done, in order to move the game on. Today should rightly give them a fair bit of much needed confidence but, with nearly 30% of their Championship programme completed, they need some chunky points on the board pretty soon.

See you later in the season, Paul.
Summer of '77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th May 2018, 11:45   #223
paulsre
World Class
 
paulsre's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: In a class 101 Met Cam time machine to the past
Team(s): Stockholm Taverners CC, Farsta BCCE, County cricket, MCCU cricket, England, Scarborough CC
Posts: 6,160
Well that’s 4 of us accounted for - would be great to hear where some of the other 2,089 forum members might have been watching in this glorious weather.
paulsre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th May 2018, 14:27   #224
gmdf
County Pro
 
Join Date: Dec 2016
Posts: 693
Quote:
Originally Posted by paulsre View Post
Well thatís 4 of us accounted for - would be great to hear where some of the other 2,089 forum members might have been watching in this glorious weather.
As Kent were playing in Wales (and won in 3 days, I'm glad to say ), no cricket for me... No doubt it will be back to 12C and wet by Friday when we play at Canterbury.

[NB Yes, I know Kent Women are playing at Beckenham today, and the 2nds will be for the rest of the week...but 160+ mile round trip doesn't appeal, I'm afraid. If they were playing at Canterbury it would be a different matter!]
gmdf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 7th May 2018, 14:32   #225
Gabe
County 2nd Team
 
Gabe's Avatar
oopsupziderhead
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: M16
Team(s): Somerset CCC
Posts: 218
I'm at Old Trafford today.
Tell you what: it's a depressing reminder of how lacklustre an experience it is watching championship cricket as a non-member. I don't think OT is uniquely bad at this (though it certainly ain't great), but it is preposterous that, especially on a relatively sparsely attended day like today, there are multiple people who are employed literally to stand in the way of you spending money. I did eventually find the 1 bar that is open to non-members, though, of course, it only has terrible beer and bags of crisps on offer. I've watched a fair amount of baseball in America over the last few years and -- okay, okay, it's a whole lot easier to make things enjoyable for the punter when you're guaranteed tens of thousands of them -- but chalk and cheese doesn't even come close. (You'd be lucky to get a chalk sandwich, here.)
Oh, and I reckon Hildreth's lbw pitched outside leg, 'n'all.
Other than that, having a smashing time.
Gabe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th May 2018, 17:14   #226
Hector
Established International
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Southampton
Team(s): Deportivo Finance, Hampshire, Berkshire
Age: 39
Posts: 3,027
Quote:
Originally Posted by paulsre View Post
Well thatís 4 of us accounted for - would be great to hear where some of the other 2,089 forum members might have been watching in this glorious weather.
Watched a local league game at Lyndhurst in the New Forest. Absolutely glorious!
__________________
www.yahooovercowcorner.wordpress.com


@YahoooverCC
Hector is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th May 2018, 19:55   #227
Hector
Established International
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Southampton
Team(s): Deportivo Finance, Hampshire, Berkshire
Age: 39
Posts: 3,027
A few words on my trip to Hove last Friday:

https://wp.me/s84fFx-gosbts
__________________
www.yahooovercowcorner.wordpress.com


@YahoooverCC
Hector is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th May 2018, 11:48   #228
paulsre
World Class
 
paulsre's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: In a class 101 Met Cam time machine to the past
Team(s): Stockholm Taverners CC, Farsta BCCE, County cricket, MCCU cricket, England, Scarborough CC
Posts: 6,160
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gabe View Post
I'm at Old Trafford today.
Tell you what: it's a depressing reminder of how lacklustre an experience it is watching championship cricket as a non-member. I don't think OT is uniquely bad at this (though it certainly ain't great), but it is preposterous that, especially on a relatively sparsely attended day like today, there are multiple people who are employed literally to stand in the way of you spending money. I did eventually find the 1 bar that is open to non-members, though, of course, it only has terrible beer and bags of crisps on offer. I've watched a fair amount of baseball in America over the last few years and -- okay, okay, it's a whole lot easier to make things enjoyable for the punter when you're guaranteed tens of thousands of them -- but chalk and cheese doesn't even come close. (You'd be lucky to get a chalk sandwich, here.)
I suggest that you write to Lancashire about this.

This sort of thing is a long-standing gripe which I've written about on here too many times!

I actually wrote to Essex about this, and left a comment in their suggestion box. I notice now that they have improved the catering and set up a real ale pump in the public areas. They made a point of announcing this fact at the Essex v Yorkshire game.

I'm not claiming it's the result of my efforts, but I do think clubs are simply ignorant of how bad things can be. As you say with the 10,000 people thing, they open up all the facilities for big matches, and then just shrink them to the pavilion for other games.

The irony is that from my observations, it's the occasional/visiting spectator who is more likely to go to a game ready to spend a bit of extra cash, as the day is a treat for them, rather than for someone who attends 40-odd days at the ground a season, and quite reasonably doesn't plan to spend £25 on food and drink every time.

So it is an incredibly self-defeating approach, as effectively they are targeting the wrong group of customers.
paulsre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th May 2018, 13:16   #229
Arachibutyrophobic
International Material
 
Arachibutyrophobic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 1,543
A fantastic cricket weekend. Saw Notts v Hampshire from start to finish bar the Sunday morning session and my elder boy play an under 11 and an under 13 match.
For the 11s he took 4 wickets for 7 runs in his 4 overs and 48 with the bat. (caught on the boundary with 4 required off 2 balls)
For the 13s he was retired out on 35 took 1 wicket for 5 from 2 overs and two catches. His season average with the bat stands at 104. He is quite pleased with himself at the moment.

His younger brother has his first ever competitive game of hardball cricket tonight.
Arachibutyrophobic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th May 2018, 18:32   #230
Summer of '77
Legendary
 
Summer of '77's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: London-Essex
Team(s): Kent, Essex, Surrey Stars
Posts: 9,237
I thought I'd had a feast over the weekend but your cup runneth over, Arach. Great stuff.

Sounds like you have a talented lad there.
Summer of '77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th May 2018, 10:31   #231
Arachibutyrophobic
International Material
 
Arachibutyrophobic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 1,543
Quote:
Originally Posted by Summer of '77 View Post
I thought I'd had a feast over the weekend but your cup runneth over, Arach. Great stuff.

Sounds like you have a talented lad there.
He is a good player. He works at it too Ė he played indoor cricket/faced bowling machines/net sessions all Winter so he has started like a steam train whereas many of his opponents are just picking the game up again after the Winter.
Last night with little brother was slightly lower key. He aggravated a month old football injury tearing round the playground in the afternoon so didnít feel up to bowling, he is the new boy playing 2 years up so was down the order and didnít get a bat. He won and is through to the next round, big brother who got 4/7 and 48 was dumped out. Cricket is not fair!
Arachibutyrophobic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th May 2018, 11:57   #232
geoff_boycotts_grandmother
Administrator
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 28,376
Quote:
Originally Posted by paulsre View Post
I suggest that you write to Lancashire about this.

This sort of thing is a long-standing gripe which I've written about on here too many times!

I actually wrote to Essex about this, and left a comment in their suggestion box. I notice now that they have improved the catering and set up a real ale pump in the public areas. They made a point of announcing this fact at the Essex v Yorkshire game.

I'm not claiming it's the result of my efforts, but I do think clubs are simply ignorant of how bad things can be. As you say with the 10,000 people thing, they open up all the facilities for big matches, and then just shrink them to the pavilion for other games.

The irony is that from my observations, it's the occasional/visiting spectator who is more likely to go to a game ready to spend a bit of extra cash, as the day is a treat for them, rather than for someone who attends 40-odd days at the ground a season, and quite reasonably doesn't plan to spend £25 on food and drink every time.

So it is an incredibly self-defeating approach, as effectively they are targeting the wrong group of customers.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michelle Fivefer
It was a poor innings by Bell with the bat.
geoff_boycotts_grandmother is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12th May 2018, 00:01   #233
Summer of '77
Legendary
 
Summer of '77's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: London-Essex
Team(s): Kent, Essex, Surrey Stars
Posts: 9,237
Today, I was delighted to make my first trip to Lord's this season. Spent two sessions in the Grandstand but once the warm sunshine was replaced by cold wind, we relocated to the splendid new Warner Stand. Not quite so impressed by the new announcer, who advised that, after 'an uncontosted test', Middlesex would be batting.

I suspect that, like many a visiting side, Glos were fooled by the slight green tinge to the Lord's pitch when deciding to bowl first. Robson and Gubbins found very little menace in the new ball and scored crisply and regularly, a theme continued by the next three batsmen. Worrall was the one bowler to suggest a touch of danger and claimed each of his three wickets by drawing the batsman outside of off stump, including Gubbins, suddenly appearing impatient, for a 99 loaded with meaty square cuts. Malan played a series of upright and assured drives through mid-wicket in compiling 76, a score also achieved by Morgan in more typically busy fashion. The South African slow lefty van Buuren pulled back the scoring rate, arguably at the expense of wicket-taking potential, via a flattish leg stump line.

Middx's 356 was the second highest score of the day around the shires. I'd say it's a pretty decent pitch but, given Glos' paltry batting returns so far this season, the home side might already be in a very strong position.

Not a bad crowd, lightly peppered with kids on school trips and a tour party from the sub-continent. A satisfying day at HQ and I should return soon, depending on my enthusiasm for the B&H Cup.
Summer of '77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th May 2018, 18:35   #234
Hector
Established International
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Southampton
Team(s): Deportivo Finance, Hampshire, Berkshire
Age: 39
Posts: 3,027
Went to Bashley last Sunday for the first day of fixtures in the new Minor counties T20 competition. Here's a few words on the first match:

http://www.yahooovercowcorner.wordpr...ns-frontieres/
__________________
www.yahooovercowcorner.wordpress.com


@YahoooverCC
Hector is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th May 2018, 12:24   #235
Prince of Denmark
International Cricketer
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Sydenham Hill
Team(s): Surrey CCC, Dulwich Hamlet FC, England
Age: 52
Posts: 2,069
Eventful start at the Oval today. Root lbw to Curran in the first over and we've had 46 runs from the first 6 overs!
Prince of Denmark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th May 2018, 12:29   #236
Summer of '77
Legendary
 
Summer of '77's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: London-Essex
Team(s): Kent, Essex, Surrey Stars
Posts: 9,237
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prince of Denmark View Post
Eventful start at the Oval today. Root lbw to Curran in the first over and we've had 46 runs from the first 6 overs!
And now another wicket! Enjoy, Richard.
Summer of '77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th May 2018, 17:13   #237
Arachibutyrophobic
International Material
 
Arachibutyrophobic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 1,543
Quote:
Originally Posted by Summer of '77 View Post
I thought I'd had a feast over the weekend but your cup runneth over, Arach. Great stuff.

Sounds like you have a talented lad there.
Watched him again last night - retired not out on 35. I've just looked at the stats page of the Nottingham Youth Cricket league site and my boy is currently the top run scorer in Nottinghamshire for all age groups.

Sorry to go on about it but I am very proud of him!
Arachibutyrophobic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th May 2018, 23:39   #238
Summer of '77
Legendary
 
Summer of '77's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: London-Essex
Team(s): Kent, Essex, Surrey Stars
Posts: 9,237
Today was a landmark and thrilling one for this inveterate spectator - the first time this season I've travelled to a game by the means of public transport rather than minicab. I received my doctor's blessing on Thursday and the last three days have been stacked with anticipation, tinged with not a little apprehension. Engineering works on the London-Essex line created a more arduous odyssey than I'd have liked (bus, tube, coach, train, walk) but, thankfully, every component ran perfectly on time .

It nearly didn't happen, due to the BBC's forecast of torrential thunderstorms rising up from Europe through Essex. However, I noted the Met Office was predicting a more Westerly course and so resolved to go for it. Good job too, as there was not a spot of rain all day, just relentless sunshine and considerable warmth.

As for the cricket, well, Essex continued to bat as they have done during this competition so far - not at all badly, but seemingly always about a couple of dozen runs light. Chopra started brightly but then became bogged down and when he and the more lively Westley departed in the same over, the innings lost its potential grandness. Ravi played a typically busy and intelligent knock but a target of 295 never seemed enough once Roy and Elgar got into their stride. Nice knock by Foakes to accelerate the innings through to victory. Cook Junior was the pick of the home bowlers but, when Waggers isn't on the money, he really can go 'round the park.

So, not the most riveting contest but I'm just simply delighted to have got there and done so by myself. I'm shattered, sweaty and a tad achy but I don't think I've been so proud of myself since I scored 51* against Dulwich Hamlet Old Boys in 1986.

Now, where's that National Rail timetable?
Summer of '77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th May 2018, 10:23   #239
paulsre
World Class
 
paulsre's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: In a class 101 Met Cam time machine to the past
Team(s): Stockholm Taverners CC, Farsta BCCE, County cricket, MCCU cricket, England, Scarborough CC
Posts: 6,160
Quote:
Originally Posted by Summer of '77 View Post

So, not the most riveting contest but I'm just simply delighted to have got there and done so by myself. I'm shattered, sweaty and a tad achy but I don't think I've been so proud of myself since I scored 51* against Dulwich Hamlet Old Boys in 1986.
Great stuff! I listened to the whole match commentary and it sounded like a very lively, John Player-Leaguesque crowd. Though of course, we must remember that everyone today now suddenly has a limited attention span, etc etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Summer of '77 View Post


Now, where's that National Rail timetable?
Planning on some class 37 bashing?
paulsre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th May 2018, 11:16   #240
Summer of '77
Legendary
 
Summer of '77's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: London-Essex
Team(s): Kent, Essex, Surrey Stars
Posts: 9,237
Quote:
Originally Posted by paulsre View Post
Great stuff! I listened to the whole match commentary and it sounded like a very lively, John Player-Leaguesque crowd. Though of course, we must remember that everyone today now suddenly has a limited attention span, etc etc.
There was a group of about a dozen well watered young fellows, sporting sombreros and making a fearful racket. They got a series of half-hearted Mexican waves going, all good natured stuff.
Summer of '77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 19:30.



Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
© Cricket247.org