Cricket 24/7  

Welcome to the Cricket 24/7.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. There are also more forums available to members, such as the Lounge - where members chat about just about anything under the sun except cricket!

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.


Go Back   Cricket 24/7 > Cricket Discussion Forums > Other International Teams
Register FAQDonate Members List Calendar Casino Articles Terms of Use Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 7th March 2018, 15:16   #361
1000yardstare
Posting Goddess
 
1000yardstare's Avatar
JA 851 Cummins 149 Wagner 147 TCurran 21 SCurran 15
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: London
Posts: 21,074
http://www.espncricinfo.com/story/_/...-bcci-contract

Can't see how Sharma gets into the A+ category.
1000yardstare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th March 2018, 03:06   #362
MRNC4.0
International Material
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Melbourne
Team(s): Victoria
Posts: 1,960
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1000yardstare View Post
http://www.espncricinfo.com/story/_/...-bcci-contract

Can't see how Sharma gets into the A+ category.

In what version of this universe is Sharma an A+ and Ashwin isnt?
MRNC4.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th March 2018, 10:10   #363
1000yardstare
Posting Goddess
 
1000yardstare's Avatar
JA 851 Cummins 149 Wagner 147 TCurran 21 SCurran 15
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: London
Posts: 21,074
Quote:
Originally Posted by MRNC4.0 View Post
In what version of this universe is Sharma an A+ and Ashwin isnt?
Ashwin not likely to be selected for white ball cricket again now India have Chalal and Yadav?
1000yardstare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th March 2018, 13:51   #364
ConfusedMale
Established International
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Bangalore
Team(s): India
Posts: 3,240
Quote:
Originally Posted by MRNC4.0 View Post
In what version of this universe is Sharma an A+ and Ashwin isnt?
Trying to find reason in BCCI's workings?
__________________
A quote is quotable depending on who you are and not what you say
ConfusedMale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th March 2018, 14:27   #365
1000yardstare
Posting Goddess
 
1000yardstare's Avatar
JA 851 Cummins 149 Wagner 147 TCurran 21 SCurran 15
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: London
Posts: 21,074
Quote:
Originally Posted by ConfusedMale View Post
Trying to find reason in BCCI's workings?
I think Kohli must have had a say in that he wants his best player in all formats. I doubt if Sharma will have an A+ contract next year.
1000yardstare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th March 2018, 08:20   #366
ConfusedMale
Established International
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Bangalore
Team(s): India
Posts: 3,240
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1000yardstare View Post
I think Kohli must have had a say in that he wants his best player in all formats. I doubt if Sharma will have an A+ contract next year.
Well, he shouldn't have had one this year, but he still did.
__________________
A quote is quotable depending on who you are and not what you say
ConfusedMale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th March 2018, 19:08   #367
aNarcHy2day
County 1st Team
 
Join Date: Feb 2017
Location: India
Team(s): Mumbai Indians, Punjab Ranji Team
Posts: 315
I didn't want to create a whole thread for this but an instant classic in the Nidahas Trophy final. Karthick hitting a last ball six with 5 to win on his way to an 8 ball 29.

India needed 34 off the last two overs.
aNarcHy2day is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 8th May 2018, 14:03   #368
1000yardstare
Posting Goddess
 
1000yardstare's Avatar
JA 851 Cummins 149 Wagner 147 TCurran 21 SCurran 15
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: London
Posts: 21,074
India squad for Test against Afghanistan Thu Jun 14 - Mon Jun 18

Ajinkya Rahane (capt), Shikhar Dhawan, M Vijay, KL Rahul, Cheteshwar Pujara, Karun Nair, Wriddhiman Saha (wk), R Ashwin, Ravindra Jadeja, Kuldeep Yadav, Umesh Yadav, Mohammed Shami, Hardik Pandya, Ishant Sharma, Shardul Thakur

2 T20s v Ireland
3 T20s v England

T20 squad Kohli, Dhawan, Rohit, Rahul, Raina, Pandey, Dhoni, Karthik, Chahal, Kuldeep, Washington, Bhuvneshwar, Bumrah, Hardik Pandya, Siddarth Kaul, Umesh

3 ODIs v England

ODI squad: Virat Kohli (capt), Shikhar Dhawan, Rohit Sharma, KL Rahul, Shreyas Iyer, Ambati Rayudu, MS Dhoni (wk), Yuzvendra Chahal, Washington Sundar, Jasprit Bumrah, Hardik Pandya, Siddarth Kaul, Umesh Yadav, Shardul Thakur, Bhuvneshwar Kumar, Kuldeep Yadav
1000yardstare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th July 2018, 09:49   #369
1000yardstare
Posting Goddess
 
1000yardstare's Avatar
JA 851 Cummins 149 Wagner 147 TCurran 21 SCurran 15
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: London
Posts: 21,074
Lovely story of an India Under-19 player

https://indianexpress.com/article/sp...mpression=true
1000yardstare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th July 2018, 17:01   #370
ConfusedMale
Established International
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Bangalore
Team(s): India
Posts: 3,240
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1000yardstare View Post
Lovely story of an India Under-19 player

https://indianexpress.com/article/sp...mpression=true
Wow! Thanks for sharing. It is remarkable then if such players remain grounded when they make it big in cricket. Also, Indian cricket is filled with lots of such stories who did not really have a happy ending in that they just couldn't make it to the Indian team.

I wish him the very best!
__________________
A quote is quotable depending on who you are and not what you say
ConfusedMale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th July 2018, 17:47   #371
AJ101
International Material
 
Join Date: Oct 2016
Posts: 1,833
Quote:
Originally Posted by ConfusedMale View Post
Also, Indian cricket is filled with lots of such stories who did not really have a happy ending in that they just couldn't make it to the Indian team.
That's an interesting point, outside of the IPL how much do Indian FC cricketers get paid roughly?
AJ101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th July 2018, 03:18   #372
ConfusedMale
Established International
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Bangalore
Team(s): India
Posts: 3,240
Quote:
Originally Posted by AJ101 View Post
That's an interesting point, outside of the IPL how much do Indian FC cricketers get paid roughly?
These days, it has improved for our cricketers reaching the Ranji trophy stage. You go one level below that and the struggle starts. In short, unless and until you can get into either an IPL franchise or a FC team, you are going to struggle having cricket as a profession.
__________________
A quote is quotable depending on who you are and not what you say
ConfusedMale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th August 2018, 19:43   #373
cg3
County Pro
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 613
Its rare that I find myself agreeing with Sunil Gavaskar but I agree with everything he says here except the six batsmen bit. Whilst this is true in theory (and I used to be of the same mind), in reality India doesn't have six Test class batsmen in non-Asian conditions so Pandya/Ashwin/Karthik/Jadeja will be as good or bad as the sixth batsman.

http://www.espncricinfo.com/story/_/...-england-tests
cg3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th August 2018, 00:22   #374
AJ101
International Material
 
Join Date: Oct 2016
Posts: 1,833
Quote:
Originally Posted by cg3 View Post
Its rare that I find myself agreeing with Sunil Gavaskar but I agree with everything he says here except the six batsmen bit. Whilst this is true in theory (and I used to be of the same mind), in reality India doesn't have six Test class batsmen in non-Asian conditions so Pandya/Ashwin/Karthik/Jadeja will be as good or bad as the sixth batsman.

http://www.espncricinfo.com/story/_/...-england-tests

It's a very similar story for all sides these days, so few practice matches. It's less of an issue in matches between sub continent teams perhaps and Aus/SA where conditions are pretty similar although India using the SG ball lessens the similarity somewhat.

I don't get why they only played one warm up game and lessened it to three days at that! in 14 days, surely they could have scheduled 2 4 day games even if the one day bowlers took one of the games off.

Thanks for the reply CM I missed it before.
AJ101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th August 2018, 03:29   #375
aNarcHy2day
County 1st Team
 
Join Date: Feb 2017
Location: India
Team(s): Mumbai Indians, Punjab Ranji Team
Posts: 315
Either the players or (more likely) the team management has no clue whatsoever. As I keep repeating, they did the exact same thing before the South Africa tour and talked a big game about how they learned from it. But they clearly have no actual plan.

Ajinkhya Rahane, for instance... this is his workload post the IPL when there are, in my view, legitimate question marks over his temperament.

23 May 2018- last IPL match.
14 Jun 2018- Afg Test
16 Jul 2018- India A vs Lions
25 Jul 2018- vs Essex

Anyone else see the problem here?
aNarcHy2day is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 8th August 2018, 08:54   #376
ConfusedMale
Established International
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Bangalore
Team(s): India
Posts: 3,240
Quote:
Originally Posted by aNarcHy2day View Post
Either the players or (more likely) the team management has no clue whatsoever. As I keep repeating, they did the exact same thing before the South Africa tour and talked a big game about how they learned from it. But they clearly have no actual plan.

Ajinkhya Rahane, for instance... this is his workload post the IPL when there are, in my view, legitimate question marks over his temperament.

23 May 2018- last IPL match.
14 Jun 2018- Afg Test
16 Jul 2018- India A vs Lions
25 Jul 2018- vs Essex

Anyone else see the problem here?
I'll place a large portion of the blame on the team management for the problems Rahane is currently facing. As a VC, he should have been given clear directions on his role in the team. I feel his confidence isn't what it should be which is affecting his batting. Unfortunately, I doubt if Shastri or Kohli can really salvage the situation mid-tour with Rahane.
__________________
A quote is quotable depending on who you are and not what you say
ConfusedMale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th August 2018, 11:33   #377
square leg umpire
Legendary
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: yorkshire
Team(s): yorkshire
Posts: 8,721
Here commentators seem to think Pujara should play. They think his average of 50 is more relavent than his poor form for Yorkshire, any views?
square leg umpire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th August 2018, 11:52   #378
ConfusedMale
Established International
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Bangalore
Team(s): India
Posts: 3,240
Quote:
Originally Posted by square leg umpire View Post
Here commentators seem to think Pujara should play. They think his average of 50 is more relavent than his poor form for Yorkshire, any views?
Pujara averages 35.25 away from India. He averages 22.20 against England. He averages 25.66 against Engl, NZ and SA combined. In short, he's never scored much runs outside India and I'll be pleasantly surprised if he drastically improves that now.
__________________
A quote is quotable depending on who you are and not what you say
ConfusedMale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th August 2018, 20:53   #379
Bestie
International Material
 
Join Date: May 2016
Location: Exeter
Posts: 1,475
I'd be delighted to see him in the side from an English perspective.
Bestie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th August 2018, 22:08   #380
cg3
County Pro
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 613
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bestie View Post
I'd be delighted to see him in the side from an English perspective.
Isn't that the case for pretty much all the Indian batsmen bar one, though? Your delight should be at playing India, period!
cg3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 17:37.



Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Cricket247.org