Cricket 24/7  

Welcome to the Cricket 24/7.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. There are also more forums available to members, such as the Lounge - where members chat about just about anything under the sun except cricket!

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.


Go Back   Cricket 24/7 > Cricket Discussion Forums > International Cricket
Register FAQDonate Members List Calendar Casino Articles Terms of Use Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 30th July 2020, 20:13   #61
AJ101
Established International
 
Join Date: Oct 2016
Posts: 3,036
Quote:
Originally Posted by PavlovsDog View Post
Billings starting to make my earlier comment a bit premature.
I've always thought he would be a useful LOI player for England but he's always flattered to deceive despite quite a few opportunities.
AJ101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th July 2020, 20:55   #62
Ali TT
Posting God
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 24,063
Quote:
Originally Posted by AJ101 View Post
I've always thought he would be a useful LOI player for England but he's always flattered to deceive despite quite a few opportunities.
Looks like Banton might follow a similar path.
__________________
WARNING
Reading the above post may cause bouts of nausea.
Ali TT is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 30th July 2020, 21:24   #63
Redmachine
International Material
 
Join Date: Jan 2016
Posts: 1,460
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ali TT View Post
Looks like Banton might follow a similar path.
Bit harsh. Very early days.
Redmachine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st July 2020, 09:18   #64
Sir Coolerking
World Class
 
Sir Coolerking's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Berks
Team(s): England, Sussex, Portsmouth
Posts: 5,146
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ali TT View Post
Looks like Banton might follow a similar path.
I've got to be honest, I've yet to be impressed by Banton and haven't quite seen what all the fuss is about. I hope he proves me wrong.

Mind you, we could say the same about Billings and he seems to be maturing now into a decent and reliable player. He could turn out to be the middle order replacement for Morgan.
Sir Coolerking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st July 2020, 10:49   #65
Ali TT
Posting God
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 24,063
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redmachine View Post
Bit harsh. Very early days.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir Coolerking View Post
I've got to be honest, I've yet to be impressed by Banton and haven't quite seen what all the fuss is about. I hope he proves me wrong.

Mind you, we could say the same about Billings and he seems to be maturing now into a decent and reliable player. He could turn out to be the middle order replacement for Morgan.
He's played some impressive innings in the Blast and he has that "look" (ie confidence) about him. Comparisons to KP, other than the similarity of some shots, are way off the mark. I suspect the ceiling for Banton is to be a future Alex Hales/Jason Roy, a high quality limited overs player, rather than an all-format superstar. I fear the reality might be more like Billings, as someone who looks good but is little more than a fringe player at international level.
__________________
WARNING
Reading the above post may cause bouts of nausea.
Ali TT is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 31st July 2020, 12:15   #66
Sir Coolerking
World Class
 
Sir Coolerking's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Berks
Team(s): England, Sussex, Portsmouth
Posts: 5,146
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ali TT View Post
He's played some impressive innings in the Blast and he has that "look" (ie confidence) about him. Comparisons to KP, other than the similarity of some shots, are way off the mark. I suspect the ceiling for Banton is to be a future Alex Hales/Jason Roy, a high quality limited overs player, rather than an all-format superstar. I fear the reality might be more like Billings, as someone who looks good but is little more than a fringe player at international level.
It's interesting that his highest average is in domestic T20, then Limited Overs, then First Class. I suspect he enjoys those opening 6 overs of the field being up against slightly below top class bowling. He's an opener who is not being helped by England batting him in the middle order.

When Buttler burst onto the scene you could tell he was a special talent, I'm just not quite getting that feeling with Banton yet.
Sir Coolerking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st July 2020, 18:37   #67
geoff_boycotts_grandmother
Administrator
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 29,965
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir Coolerking View Post
I saw someone complaining about why these games are day nighters when there's no spectators, so why waste money/energy on lights? Not sure they're going to be needed at this rate anyway.
It's scheduled for TV and people are working during the day.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PavlovsDog View Post
If Billings isnít keeping, surely there are better specialist bats they could pick?
Billings is a serious talent as he showed. When we've the likes of Denly and Vince in the squad, I'm not sure he'd be the first name I'd be picking on as not worth his place.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chin Music View Post
They were going backward before they got test status. In my view they were on a clear downward curve ever since the 2015 World Cup. Lost a few players, a few more ageing and haven't really replaced many who have left.
Whilst I wouldn't disagree with this, the hope would be that test status will allow them in time to bounce back. I'm sure it'll be a rough entry to test cricket but most teams had a rough entry to international cricket.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir Coolerking View Post
It's interesting that his highest average is in domestic T20, then Limited Overs, then First Class. I suspect he enjoys those opening 6 overs of the field being up against slightly below top class bowling. He's an opener who is not being helped by England batting him in the middle order.

When Buttler burst onto the scene you could tell he was a special talent, I'm just not quite getting that feeling with Banton yet.
Banton suffers from being overhyped.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michelle Fivefer
It was a poor innings by Bell with the bat.
geoff_boycotts_grandmother is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st July 2020, 19:22   #68
PavlovsDog
Club Cricketer
 
PavlovsDog's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 178
Denly is out of the series. I have to wonder if he will ever make it back again.
PavlovsDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st August 2020, 12:48   #69
Rebelstar
International Cricketer
 
Rebelstar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Posts: 2,699
Am I alone in being amazed this 2nd ODI is scheduled to start at 2pm with this being the Saturday of the FA Cup at 5pm.................?!?!?

Surely makes more sense to start at traditional morning time so the game is nearing completion or complete come the kick-off.........?!?

Or schedule for Sunday, not a lot of difference THU-SUN-TUE to THU-SAT-TUE, 2 and 1 days inbetween compared to 1 and 2. All three at the same ground so not like travelling an issue
Rebelstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st August 2020, 13:13   #70
square leg umpire
Posting God
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: yorkshire
Team(s): yorkshire
Posts: 10,199
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rebelstar View Post
Am I alone in being amazed this 2nd ODI is scheduled to start at 2pm with this being the Saturday of the FA Cup at 5pm.................?!?!?

Surely makes more sense to start at traditional morning time so the game is nearing completion or complete come the kick-off.........?!?

Or schedule for Sunday, not a lot of difference THU-SUN-TUE to THU-SAT-TUE, 2 and 1 days inbetween compared to 1 and 2. All three at the same ground so not like travelling an issue
Very strange as weekend matches normally start in the morning.
square leg umpire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st August 2020, 14:38   #71
Michelle Fivefer
Posting Goddess
 
Michelle Fivefer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: North West England
Team(s): England, Lancashire
Posts: 43,734
Do they transport that same Big Brother chair between the two venues or are there two of them?
__________________
As balanced and focused as the next man
Michelle Fivefer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st August 2020, 15:02   #72
1000yardstare
Posting Goddess
 
1000yardstare's Avatar
JA 880 Bumrah 231 Cummins 284 TCurran 51 SCurran 49
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: London
Posts: 22,671
I read on Cricinfo players taking the knee. Is this now a permanent thing?
1000yardstare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st August 2020, 15:35   #73
Rebelstar
International Cricketer
 
Rebelstar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Posts: 2,699
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1000yardstare View Post
I read on Cricinfo players taking the knee. Is this now a permanent thing?
Was reading one NBA player stood rather than kneeled, I think it's all a bit too political and everyone just needs to agree that we all stand (ironic) united against racism and acts of violence.



But anyway, moving on, could be a long short summer for Ireland, 15/2 today, 79/7 on Thursday having been 7/2 (to compare like for like FOW), and this is way below England's best XI. Ireland still yet to master the ODI format yet given Test status, not hard to see why I was and still am strongly of the view that shouldn't have happened, but politics gets a second mention in one post
Rebelstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st August 2020, 15:38   #74
Rebelstar
International Cricketer
 
Rebelstar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Posts: 2,699
Just curious as I don't follow county cricket nearly as closely as I used to, and even then it wasn't that close, but has the amount of Irish players in county cricket dwindled?

Thing with Test cricket is not just ability and potential, but sustainablity which even some teams been in Tests 10, 20, 30 and years have not always managed
Rebelstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st August 2020, 15:54   #75
Aidan11
Harmisonesque
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Somewhere cold and wet
Posts: 42,942
Vince bowling. A strange decision by Morgan.
Aidan11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st August 2020, 16:02   #76
geoff_boycotts_grandmother
Administrator
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 29,965
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aidan11 View Post
Vince bowling. A strange decision by Morgan.
Not really. England heís Englandís 6th bowler in this match and the change of pace can produce a wicket like that.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michelle Fivefer
It was a poor innings by Bell with the bat.
geoff_boycotts_grandmother is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st August 2020, 16:02   #77
AJ101
Established International
 
Join Date: Oct 2016
Posts: 3,036
Balbirnie isn't going to want to see that dismissal again!
AJ101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st August 2020, 16:04   #78
Aidan11
Harmisonesque
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Somewhere cold and wet
Posts: 42,942
Quote:
Originally Posted by AJ101 View Post
Balbirnie isn't going to want to see that dismissal again!
Awful shot. If you can call it a shot.
Aidan11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st August 2020, 16:29   #79
Night Watchman
Club Cricketer
 
Join Date: Aug 2018
Posts: 120
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aidan11 View Post
Vince bowling. A strange decision by Morgan.
To give more runs to chase and make it interesting?
Night Watchman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st August 2020, 16:35   #80
Aidan11
Harmisonesque
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Somewhere cold and wet
Posts: 42,942
Quote:
Originally Posted by Night Watchman View Post
To give more runs to chase and make it interesting?
It didn't work for Balbirnie. The way he got out was as if he stood there thinking "Is this really James Vince running in to bowl?"
Aidan11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 16:04.



Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
© Cricket247.org