Cricket 24/7  

Welcome to the Cricket 24/7.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. There are also more forums available to members, such as the Lounge - where members chat about just about anything under the sun except cricket!

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.


Go Back   Cricket 24/7 > Cricket Discussion Forums > The Kim Jones Domestic Cricket Forum
Register FAQDonate Members List Calendar Casino Articles Terms of Use Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 8th July 2016, 02:36   #21
Fatslogger
Self Confessed Mentalist
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Hitchin
Team(s): England and Liverpool
Age: 42
Posts: 43,721
We bow down before the database. All hail the database. Top stuff everyone.
__________________
Work is the curse of the drinking classes - Wilde
Fatslogger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th July 2016, 09:50   #22
Fred
County Pro
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Posts: 969
So Has after two centuries in three games (and an 89 in between) has the rest of the season to score another and break the record as an opener. He is 20 next January.
Fred is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 8th July 2016, 09:57   #23
Summer of '77
Legendary
 
Summer of '77's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: London-Essex
Team(s): Kent, Essex, Surrey Stars
Posts: 9,312
It's interesting that many of the entries are from the modern era, when there have been fewer opportunities to bat in the Championship. Presumably, this indicates that it's now more commonplace for youngsters to be given a go, particularly at the very top of the order?
Summer of '77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th July 2016, 13:20   #24
geoff_boycotts_grandmother
Administrator
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 28,417
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gabe View Post
Not much point in being coy about the full list, now. It goes:

Code:
Name             100s  (opening)  Season  Age
===================================================
H Hameed            2  (2)        2016    19yr 167d
JM Clarke           2  (0)        2016    19yr 347d
SR Hain             4  (0)        2014    19yr 55d
BA Stokes           3  (0)        2011    19yr 359d
BA Stokes           2  (0)        2010    18yr 347d
CF Hughes           2  (0)        2010    19yr 201d
JWA Taylor          3  (0)        2009    19yr 232d
MH Wessels          3  (0)        2005    19yr 306d
JC Hildreth         2  (0)        2004    19yr 359d
TR Ambrose          2  (0)        2002    19yr 221d
OA Shah             2  (0)        1998    19yr 330d
RWT Key             2  (2)        1998    19yr 36d
A Symonds           2  (0)        1995    19yr 329d
ME Trescothick      2  (2)        1994    18yr 215d
MP Vaughan          2  (2)        1994    19yr 230d
GA Hick             2  (0)        1985    19yr 114d
P Johnson           2  (0)        1984    19yr 120d
RA Smith            3  (0)        1983    19yr 285d
Javed Miandad       2  (0)        1976    19yr 88d
PJ Watts            2  (0)        1959    19yr 63d
DCS Compton         2  (0)        1938    19yr 360d
DCS Compton         2  (0)        1937    19yr 94d
F Chester           3  (0)        1913    18yr 216d
JW Hearne           2  (0)        1910    19yr 180d
JN Crawford         2  (0)        1905    18yr 276d
RA Young            2  (1)        1905    19yr 334d
Great stuff. Hope you enjoyed finding out this answer as much as I did pondering it.

The name that stands out there is PJ Watts. No-one else did it between Denis Compton in the 1930s and Javed Miandad in the 1970s. He's sandwiched in between two greats of the game twenty years apart from each, so he must have been considered some prodigy at the time but I think only he and Paul Johnson weren't capped out of all those no longer playing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Summer of '77 View Post
It's interesting that many of the entries are from the modern era, when there have been fewer opportunities to bat in the Championship. Presumably, this indicates that it's now more commonplace for youngsters to be given a go, particularly at the very top of the order?
There's now a financial incentive for playing the kids but it may also be a cultural thing. It was achieved four times in the decade leading up to the First World War, then only Compton and Watts until Javed Miandad prompted a whole run of them.

I don't know whether pitches have improved as well making hundreds more likely but they now have more time (4 day matches) and more tail-end support (potentially a big factor if you are more likely to bat the kid at 6 rather than up top.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michelle Fivefer
It was a poor innings by Bell with the bat.
geoff_boycotts_grandmother is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th July 2016, 13:53   #25
Summer of '77
Legendary
 
Summer of '77's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: London-Essex
Team(s): Kent, Essex, Surrey Stars
Posts: 9,312
Quote:
Originally Posted by geoff_boycotts_grandmother View Post
I don't know whether pitches have improved as well making hundreds more likely but they now have more time (4 day matches) and more tail-end support (potentially a big factor if you are more likely to bat the kid at 6 rather than up top.
Well, slightly more time. 384 overs per game max compared to the 360 that were often bowled in a three day game back in the day.

It's remarkable, for example, that in an era of global 4-day cricket, smaller boundaries and pinging bats, nobody has equalled Arthur Fagg's unique achievement in 1938 of two double hundreds in a match.
Summer of '77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th July 2016, 15:36   #26
Gabe
County 2nd Team
 
Gabe's Avatar
oopsupziderhead
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: M16
Team(s): Somerset CCC
Posts: 218
Age distribution in county championship over time


Might just be that the teenagers are getting better.
Gabe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th July 2016, 15:41   #27
Summer of '77
Legendary
 
Summer of '77's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: London-Essex
Team(s): Kent, Essex, Surrey Stars
Posts: 9,312
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gabe View Post
Age distribution in county championship over time


Might just be that the teenagers are getting better.
The polar opposite of mens tennis!
Summer of '77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th July 2016, 17:53   #28
geoff_boycotts_grandmother
Administrator
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 28,417
Quote:
Originally Posted by Summer of '77 View Post
Well, slightly more time. 384 overs per game max compared to the 360 that were often bowled in a three day game back in the day.

It's remarkable, for example, that in an era of global 4-day cricket, smaller boundaries and pinging bats, nobody has equalled Arthur Fagg's unique achievement in 1938 of two double hundreds in a match.
It's another day to make up for rain though.

I think it's going to be rare that someone gets the chance to score double hundreds in both innings. Would probably have to be an opener or a number three, batting first and scoring at a decent rate.

Just goes to show what an incredible achievement that was (have you the scorecard?)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gabe View Post
Age distribution in county championship over time


Might just be that the teenagers are getting better.
Awesome stuff.

Have centuries/runs become more common?
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michelle Fivefer
It was a poor innings by Bell with the bat.
geoff_boycotts_grandmother is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th July 2016, 17:59   #29
Summer of '77
Legendary
 
Summer of '77's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: London-Essex
Team(s): Kent, Essex, Surrey Stars
Posts: 9,312
Quote:
Originally Posted by geoff_boycotts_grandmother View Post
It's another day to make up for rain though.

I think it's going to be rare that someone gets the chance to score double hundreds in both innings. Would probably have to be an opener or a number three, batting first and scoring at a decent rate.

Just goes to show what an incredible achievement that was (have you the scorecard?)
Here you go:

http://www.espncricinfo.com/ci/engin...ch/519810.html

Fagg was a contemporary of Hutton and, during their formative years, was rated by many as the better of the two. He copped an illness in his early twenties, missed six years to the war and never really fulfilled his early promise. I only remember him as a Test umpire in the 1970s.
Summer of '77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th July 2016, 18:05   #30
geoff_boycotts_grandmother
Administrator
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 28,417
Quote:
Originally Posted by Summer of '77 View Post
Here you go:

http://www.espncricinfo.com/ci/engin...ch/519810.html

Fagg was a contemporary of Hutton and, during their formative years, was rated by many as the better of the two. He copped an illness in his early twenties, missed six years to the war and never really fulfilled his early promise. I only remember him as a Test umpire in the 1970s.
68 overs for 200. That's basically scoring 150* in a ODI which is a pace unthinkable for England's opener at the last world cup
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michelle Fivefer
It was a poor innings by Bell with the bat.
geoff_boycotts_grandmother is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th July 2016, 21:38   #31
Gabe
County 2nd Team
 
Gabe's Avatar
oopsupziderhead
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: M16
Team(s): Somerset CCC
Posts: 218
Quote:
Originally Posted by geoff_boycotts_grandmother View Post
Have centuries/runs become more common?
There's been a gradual secular trend for batting to get a bit easier over the history of cricket, and the county championship is no exception.

Proportion of 3-figure county championship innings over time


The interesting thing these data show is that we are currently on pace for the centuriest championship season in history. (An analogy with that sore-thumb season in 1990 has already been made.)
Gabe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th July 2016, 20:39   #32
geoff_boycotts_grandmother
Administrator
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 28,417
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gabe View Post
There's been a gradual secular trend for batting to get a bit easier over the history of cricket, and the county championship is no exception.

Proportion of 3-figure county championship innings over time


The interesting thing these data show is that we are currently on pace for the centuriest championship season in history. (An analogy with that sore-thumb season in 1990 has already been made.)
Interesting stuff.

Is that late spike when it went to two divisions?
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michelle Fivefer
It was a poor innings by Bell with the bat.
geoff_boycotts_grandmother is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th July 2016, 18:37   #33
geoff_boycotts_grandmother
Administrator
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 28,417
Gabe's stats are out of date already.

Dan Lawrence, who turned 19 on Tuesday, becomes the third teenager to score two championship hundreds this season.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michelle Fivefer
It was a poor innings by Bell with the bat.
geoff_boycotts_grandmother is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th July 2016, 20:10   #34
Summer of '77
Legendary
 
Summer of '77's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: London-Essex
Team(s): Kent, Essex, Surrey Stars
Posts: 9,312
Quote:
Originally Posted by geoff_boycotts_grandmother View Post
Gabe's stats are out of date already.

Dan Lawrence, who turned 19 on Tuesday, becomes the third teenager to score two championship hundreds this season.
And not just any old hundred - one compiled with his team heavily under the cosh.
Summer of '77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th July 2016, 20:50   #35
geoff_boycotts_grandmother
Administrator
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 28,417
Quote:
Originally Posted by Summer of '77 View Post
And not just any old hundred - one compiled with his team heavily under the cosh.
Hopefully it'll be a match winning one (preferably without him having to bat tomorrow).
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michelle Fivefer
It was a poor innings by Bell with the bat.
geoff_boycotts_grandmother is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th July 2016, 12:32   #36
geoff_boycotts_grandmother
Administrator
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 28,417
And of course now a teenage double centurion.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michelle Fivefer
It was a poor innings by Bell with the bat.
geoff_boycotts_grandmother is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th August 2016, 14:02   #37
Gabe
County 2nd Team
 
Gabe's Avatar
oopsupziderhead
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: M16
Team(s): Somerset CCC
Posts: 218
Belatedly occurred to me to look at overall numbers, and I can confirm that the 8 x 100s hit by teenagers in the CC this year is already more than in any previous year (previous record 6 in 1998 and 2010).

The proportion of CC 100s scored by teenagers (8/174=4.6%) is also, as it stands, almost a record, though it is technically edged out by the first-ever recognised CC (1890), which had 1/20=5.0%.
Gabe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th August 2016, 14:38   #38
Rigs
International Material
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Nottingham
Team(s): Notts and Forest
Posts: 1,601
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gabe View Post
Belatedly occurred to me to look at overall numbers, and I can confirm that the 8 x 100s hit by teenagers in the CC this year is already more than in any previous year (previous record 6 in 1998 and 2010).

The proportion of CC 100s scored by teenagers (8/174=4.6%) is also, as it stands, almost a record, though it is technically edged out by the first-ever recognised CC (1890), which had 1/20=5.0%.


Andrew Samsom eat your heart out.
__________________
This is an ex-Parrot
Rigs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th August 2016, 17:36   #39
Minor Maggie
Buttleresque
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Leeds
Team(s): Lancashire, England
Posts: 26,758
Another teenage century for Hameed.
Minor Maggie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th August 2016, 18:05   #40
Gabe
County 2nd Team
 
Gabe's Avatar
oopsupziderhead
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: M16
Team(s): Somerset CCC
Posts: 218
Quote:
Originally Posted by Minor Maggie View Post
Another teenage century for Hameed.
Yup. First teenage opener ever to score 3 CC 100s in a season.
Gabe is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 09:59.



Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Cricket247.org