Cricket 24/7  

Welcome to the Cricket 24/7.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. There are also more forums available to members, such as the Lounge - where members chat about just about anything under the sun except cricket!

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.


Go Back   Cricket 24/7 > Cricket Discussion Forums > The Kim Jones Domestic Cricket Forum
Register FAQDonate Members List Calendar Casino Articles Terms of Use Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 7th May 2018, 11:03   #161
Summer of '77
Legendary
 
Summer of '77's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: London-Essex
Team(s): Kent, Essex, Surrey Stars
Posts: 9,325
Essex's first defeat in the Championship since Sept 2016 so only right that it should be a memorable one. As I alluded in my Friday report, there was a feeling amongst some of us as we left the ground that Yorkshire were finishing that day in a handy position. Clearly, major credit must go to their bowling attack but I feel the tactic of promoting Bairstow in the second innings - and him delivering - was instrumental in turning the match. I wish counties were more regularly inventive in this way; in the modern reduced competition, where there are fewer second chances, perhaps more sides will feel they need to be.

With nobody able to make hay on the batting points front, there's a nice little cluster of sides towards the top of the table as we approach the first of the white-ball breaks. It's all warming up in several ways.
Summer of '77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th May 2018, 13:00   #162
square leg umpire
Legendary
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: yorkshire
Team(s): yorkshire
Posts: 8,807
About the batting it seems the pitches at The Oval and Old Trafford are bowlers graveyards.
square leg umpire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th May 2018, 13:09   #163
Sir Virgs and Zamora
Posting God
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 21,912
Quote:
Originally Posted by Summer of '77 View Post
Essex's first defeat in the Championship since Sept 2016 so only right that it should be a memorable one. As I alluded in my Friday report, there was a feeling amongst some of us as we left the ground that Yorkshire were finishing that day in a handy position. Clearly, major credit must go to their bowling attack but I feel the tactic of promoting Bairstow in the second innings - and him delivering - was instrumental in turning the match. I wish counties were more regularly inventive in this way; in the modern reduced competition, where there are fewer second chances, perhaps more sides will feel they need to be.

With nobody able to make hay on the batting points front, there's a nice little cluster of sides towards the top of the table as we approach the first of the white-ball breaks. It's all warming up in several ways.
Could he do this for England and pick a different keeper?
Sir Virgs and Zamora is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th May 2018, 13:31   #164
Sir Virgs and Zamora
Posting God
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 21,912
Quote:
Originally Posted by square leg umpire View Post
About the batting it seems the pitches at The Oval and Old Trafford are bowlers graveyards.
Been a bit in the OT pitch all match. Missed chances and some good batting. We are showing how to fold under pressure after slogging an early full toss to be out. Oh dear.
Sir Virgs and Zamora is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th May 2018, 15:49   #165
Bestie
International Material
 
Join Date: May 2016
Location: Exeter
Posts: 1,478
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir Virgs and Zamora View Post
Could he do this for England and pick a different keeper?
Will be interesting to see if Yorks persist with this as they did in the 50 over stuff last summer which has ended with Bairstow opening internationally in that form, too. Given Foakes is probably leading the batting charge it's definitely not the most outlandish suggestion I've heard over the last few days.
Bestie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th May 2018, 17:46   #166
Sir Virgs and Zamora
Posting God
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 21,912
Jack leach. The beautiful nut. Decent effort.
Sir Virgs and Zamora is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th May 2018, 18:34   #167
sanskritsimon
Posting God
 
sanskritsimon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Team(s): Arkholme Bees, Hackney Grasshoppers, Holy Cross Academicals
Posts: 10,849
Quote:
Originally Posted by square leg umpire View Post
About the batting it seems the pitches at The Oval and Old Trafford are bowlers graveyards.
Terrible. If this kind of nonsense goes on, we might accidentally develop a national team with a decent bowling attack in normal conditions.
sanskritsimon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th May 2018, 18:47   #168
Fred
County Pro
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Posts: 979
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir Virgs and Zamora View Post
Jack leach. The beautiful nut. Decent effort.
so have England discovered a player who can bat to save a match (and bowl some spin)?
Fred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th May 2018, 18:48   #169
square leg umpire
Legendary
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: yorkshire
Team(s): yorkshire
Posts: 8,807
Quote:
Originally Posted by sanskritsimon View Post
Terrible. If this kind of nonsense goes on, we might accidentally develop a national team with a decent bowling attack in normal conditions.
I doubt it. Much bowling on those surfaces and bowlers might decide there must be an easier way to earn a living.
square leg umpire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th May 2018, 22:08   #170
Supersax
County 1st Team
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Derbyshire
Team(s): Nottinghamshire
Posts: 337
Have to say that on the performance in this match, if I were Rod Bransgrove, I'd be asking for a refund on the wages that I'm paying Kyle Abbott...

Another interesting comparison:

Samit 109 & 38-16-48-4
Dawson 18 & 31.3-2-140-2
Supersax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th May 2018, 12:18   #171
square leg umpire
Legendary
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: yorkshire
Team(s): yorkshire
Posts: 8,807
Yorkshire decided to bowl at the Oval. After what happened in the last match there wonder if that was smart.
square leg umpire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th May 2018, 15:14   #172
Prince of Denmark
International Cricketer
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Sydenham Hill
Team(s): Surrey CCC, Dulwich Hamlet FC, England
Age: 52
Posts: 2,114
Quote:
Originally Posted by square leg umpire View Post
Yorkshire decided to bowl at the Oval. After what happened in the last match there wonder if that was smart.
It's the greenest pitch I've seen at the Oval for a few years. Looks like a deliberate decision to prepare a result pitch after last week's bore draw with Worcestershire, when only 23 wickets fell in four full days and neither side scored quickly enough to claim a fourth batting point in innings that lasted well beyond 110 overs.
Prince of Denmark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th May 2018, 15:30   #173
Notts Exile
International Cricketer
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Location: Berkshire
Team(s): Notts and Forest
Posts: 2,497
Advantage Lancs at Trent Bridge. Notts' top order really is shocking.

And Samit thinks he's Inzamam.
Notts Exile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th May 2018, 16:01   #174
Chin Music
Administrator
 
Chin Music's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: la sala de opinion equivocada
Team(s): ****
Posts: 24,476
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prince of Denmark View Post
It's the greenest pitch I've seen at the Oval for a few years. Looks like a deliberate decision to prepare a result pitch after last week's bore draw with Worcestershire, when only 23 wickets fell in four full days and neither side scored quickly enough to claim a fourth batting point in innings that lasted well beyond 110 overs.
Looking around the counties, only Middlesex are in a good position with regards to batting sides and that in the 2nd division.
__________________
Quote:
"One of the greatest problems of our time is that many are schooled but few are educated" - Thomas More
Chin Music is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th May 2018, 17:10   #175
Ricky_Rabbit
Established International
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Hertfordshire (West Bridgford born)
Team(s): Notts CCC, Forest and England at anything
Posts: 3,012
Quote:
Originally Posted by Notts Exile View Post
Advantage Lancs at Trent Bridge. Notts' top order really is shocking.

And Samit thinks he's Inzamam.
I would love to blame the pitch but some of the dismissals were awful.

Lancs seem to be making it look like a road.
__________________
The future of Notts cricket - Carter, Root, Wood, Libby, Ball.
Ricky_Rabbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th May 2018, 17:15   #176
Fred
County Pro
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Posts: 979
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricky_Rabbit View Post
I would love to blame the pitch but some of the dismissals were awful.

Lancs seem to be making it look like a road.
Some session for Lancs, although battingwise due to Davies with a plus100 strike rate:

Notts 50 odd for 6 and
Lancs reply at 73/0
Fred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th May 2018, 17:22   #177
Notts Exile
International Cricketer
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Location: Berkshire
Team(s): Notts and Forest
Posts: 2,497
They say you cannot win a game before lunch or tea but you sure as hell can lose it.

For those who doubt Notts fans, this is why we doubt our team. That was truly pathetic.

Edit: Davies comes out slogging after tea and perishes. Will momentum shift now?

Last edited by Notts Exile : 11th May 2018 at 17:33.
Notts Exile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th May 2018, 18:58   #178
square leg umpire
Legendary
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: yorkshire
Team(s): yorkshire
Posts: 8,807
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prince of Denmark View Post
It's the greenest pitch I've seen at the Oval for a few years. Looks like a deliberate decision to prepare a result pitch after last week's bore draw with Worcestershire, when only 23 wickets fell in four full days and neither side scored quickly enough to claim a fourth batting point in innings that lasted well beyond 110 overs.
Noticed Coad isn't playing, hope he isn't being rested or something. Without him it seems Yorkshire lacked the bowlers to take advantage of the green pitch.
square leg umpire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th May 2018, 13:02   #179
Prince of Denmark
International Cricketer
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Sydenham Hill
Team(s): Surrey CCC, Dulwich Hamlet FC, England
Age: 52
Posts: 2,114
Quote:
Originally Posted by square leg umpire View Post
Noticed Coad isn't playing, hope he isn't being rested or something. Without him it seems Yorkshire lacked the bowlers to take advantage of the green pitch.
Surrey website announced on Thursday that Root & Bairstow would play while Coad "sits this one out".So looks like he's rested.

Ollie Pope scored his second Championship century of the season and second career best. Surrey 414 all out this morning with Pope 158*
Prince of Denmark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th May 2018, 13:27   #180
square leg umpire
Legendary
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: yorkshire
Team(s): yorkshire
Posts: 8,807
See Yorkshire had Surrey 168-6, one for that thread about bowling to the tail. Is it that this pitch is helpful when the ball's hard but when the it gets softer batting gets easy?
square leg umpire is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 03:19.



Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Cricket247.org