Cricket 24/7  

Welcome to the Cricket 24/7.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. There are also more forums available to members, such as the Lounge - where members chat about just about anything under the sun except cricket!

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.


Go Back   Cricket 24/7 > Cricket Discussion Forums > The Kim Jones Domestic Cricket Forum
Register FAQDonate Members List Calendar Casino Articles Terms of Use Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 27th June 2018, 09:12   #101
Sir Coolerking
International Material
 
Sir Coolerking's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Berks
Team(s): England, Sussex, Portsmouth
Posts: 1,324
Quote:
Originally Posted by gmdf View Post
Worth adding that he scored it in 74 balls with 5 sixes! At one point Middlesex had, by my count, 9 fielders on the boundary...it didn't seem to matter.
Also worth pointing out that this is only the second time in FC History that a century partnership has been achieved with one player scoring just one run.

The other happened in a Test between SL and Pak and featured Fernando and Jayasuriya (you can probably guess who scored 99 of them).
Sir Coolerking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th June 2018, 10:10   #102
Fred
County Pro
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Posts: 940
Quote:
Originally Posted by gmdf View Post
Worth adding that he scored it in 74 balls with 5 sixes! At one point Middlesex had, by my count, 9 fielders on the boundary...it didn't seem to matter.
is this the same Middlesex who were only relegated from Division One because of the cross bow incident? What's happened? Or will they come good in the second half of the season?
Fred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th June 2018, 10:54   #103
gmdf
County Pro
 
Join Date: Dec 2016
Posts: 681
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred View Post
is this the same Middlesex who were only relegated from Division One because of the cross bow incident? What's happened? Or will they come good in the second half of the season?
To be fair they are missing a lot of good players - from memory Finn (injured), Morgan (England duty), Stirling (Ireland duty) and Gubbins & Helm (England Lions)
gmdf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th June 2018, 10:58   #104
geoff_boycotts_grandmother
Administrator
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 28,319
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir Coolerking View Post
Also worth pointing out that this is only the second time in FC History that a century partnership has been achieved with one player scoring just one run.

The other happened in a Test between SL and Pak and featured Fernando and Jayasuriya (you can probably guess who scored 99 of them).
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michelle Fivefer
It was a poor innings by Bell with the bat.
geoff_boycotts_grandmother is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th June 2018, 12:03   #105
Fred
County Pro
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Posts: 940
Quote:
Originally Posted by gmdf View Post
To be fair they are missing a lot of good players - from memory Finn (injured), Morgan (England duty), Stirling (Ireland duty) and Gubbins & Helm (England Lions)
Plus Roland-Jones (they were confident enough to allow Rayner to go out on loan and Podmore to join Kent).

But Robson, Eskinazi, Malan, Cartwright, Simpson, Harris, Patel, Murtagh.... should not be a bad backbone for others to join.
Fred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th June 2018, 16:06   #106
stevieh
Administrator
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Toronto, Ontario
Team(s): England, Kent, Canada
Posts: 7,145
Crushing victory completed by Kent in the sunshine, as Middlesex collapse again and this time it’s Harry Podmore taking six wickets against his former team.
stevieh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th June 2018, 16:37   #107
Summer of '77
Legendary
 
Summer of '77's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: London-Essex
Team(s): Kent, Essex, Surrey Stars
Posts: 9,156
Quote:
Originally Posted by stevieh View Post
Crushing victory completed by Kent in the sunshine, as Middlesex collapse again and this time itís Harry Podmore taking six wickets against his former team.
Rigged pitch, innit?
Summer of '77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th June 2018, 17:51   #108
stevieh
Administrator
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Toronto, Ontario
Team(s): England, Kent, Canada
Posts: 7,145
Quote:
Originally Posted by Summer of '77 View Post
Rigged pitch, innit?
Quick! Take a picture of the Championship table with Kent at the top after round 7. 12 points clear of Warks, pending the outcome of Warks vs Durham.
stevieh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th June 2018, 23:57   #109
ScottyMuser
Backyard Cricketer
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Sittingbourne, KENT
Team(s): KENT
Posts: 57
whilst the match at Canterbury was a bit odd, and unfair, The Middlesex Head Coach Richard Scott's interview I have just listened to was the most bitter sporting interview I have heard in years, and putting 100% of the blame on the ECB and the pink ball - claiming that this morning was the 1st time they had a fair bat in similar conditions (managing to completely ignore the fact that we batted yesterday about the same time as they did on day 1, and our number 10 got a 74 ball 100 batting 10) and then not even acknowledging the fact that we out bowled them today in similar conditions, getting them all out for 124.
ScottyMuser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th June 2018, 07:47   #110
gmdf
County Pro
 
Join Date: Dec 2016
Posts: 681
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottyMuser View Post
whilst the match at Canterbury was a bit odd, and unfair, The Middlesex Head Coach Richard Scott's interview I have just listened to was the most bitter sporting interview I have heard in years, and putting 100% of the blame on the ECB and the pink ball - claiming that this morning was the 1st time they had a fair bat in similar conditions (managing to completely ignore the fact that we batted yesterday about the same time as they did on day 1, and our number 10 got a 74 ball 100 batting 10) and then not even acknowledging the fact that we out bowled them today in similar conditions, getting them all out for 124.
To be fair he had to come up with some excuse.

To be honest Middlesex batted in both innings as if they were a Sunday afternoon village team. If Murtagh hadn't slogged a quick 40 they would have managed fewer runs in 22 innings than Stewart, our no. 10, did in 2. Given that the coach had to find some excuses.
gmdf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th June 2018, 19:43   #111
square leg umpire
Legendary
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: yorkshire
Team(s): yorkshire
Posts: 8,726
Suppose Middlesex expected to walk the division but are stuck in mid table and promotion seems unlikely. No wonder the coach is under pressure.
square leg umpire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st July 2018, 11:39   #112
Prince of Denmark
International Cricketer
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Sydenham Hill
Team(s): Surrey CCC, Dulwich Hamlet FC, England
Age: 52
Posts: 2,061
Quote:
Originally Posted by square leg umpire View Post
Suppose Middlesex expected to walk the division but are stuck in mid table and promotion seems unlikely. No wonder the coach is under pressure.
The batting looks less resilient without a Voges or Bailey, while Malan has often been absent on England duty while the bowling unit has been less potent: Franklin and Murtagh are that bit older as they near the end of their careers Roland-Jones has been missing on England duty then through injury while Rayner has been unable to sustain the best form of his career. Above all else it just goes to show how quickly a winning side can lose its mojo and how difficult it can be to rediscover it.

Yorkshire have gone backwards too since they came off second best to Middlesex in that epic finale to the 2016 season. They could easily have gone down instead of Middlesex at the end of last season and are currently occupying a relegation spot.
Prince of Denmark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd July 2018, 15:24   #113
Essexfan
County 2nd Team
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 207
Quote:
Originally Posted by square leg umpire View Post
Suppose Middlesex expected to walk the division but are stuck in mid table and promotion seems unlikely. No wonder the coach is under pressure.
He's not under pressure any more!

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/cricket/44682771
Essexfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd July 2018, 12:52   #114
Fred
County Pro
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Posts: 940
Middlesex won the toss and decided to bat ..... (the coach leaving doesn't seem to have changed much)
Fred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd July 2018, 13:12   #115
geoff_boycotts_grandmother
Administrator
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 28,319
7 different wicket-takers for K*nt against Leics.

Does anyone (Gabe?) have an idea how rare an occurrence that is?
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michelle Fivefer
It was a poor innings by Bell with the bat.
geoff_boycotts_grandmother is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th July 2018, 08:00   #116
Sir Coolerking
International Material
 
Sir Coolerking's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Berks
Team(s): England, Sussex, Portsmouth
Posts: 1,324
I'm wondering how many times a team has been bowled out twice in two sessions? An astonishing feat by Glamorgan to achieve this yesterday.
Sir Coolerking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th July 2018, 08:38   #117
Sir Coolerking
International Material
 
Sir Coolerking's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Berks
Team(s): England, Sussex, Portsmouth
Posts: 1,324
Superb finish to the Warks/Middlesex game with Middlesex eventually picking off the last wicket with 18 runs to spare.

Div 2 has now become a much tighter affair at the top. Can anyone confirm how many teams get promoted now?

If Sussex keep their bowling attack fit they may just steamroller through their remaining matches.
Sir Coolerking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th July 2018, 12:03   #118
gmdf
County Pro
 
Join Date: Dec 2016
Posts: 681
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir Coolerking View Post
Superb finish to the Warks/Middlesex game with Middlesex eventually picking off the last wicket with 18 runs to spare.

Div 2 has now become a much tighter affair at the top. Can anyone confirm how many teams get promoted now?

If Sussex keep their bowling attack fit they may just steamroller through their remaining matches.
It's two being promoted.

Unless Kent are second, of course...
gmdf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th July 2018, 19:57   #119
offa59
Bat In Hand
 
Join Date: Feb 2017
Posts: 39
If Kent are promoted you can be sure the ECB will introduce a conference system next year!
offa59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th July 2018, 20:08   #120
AJ101
International Material
 
Join Date: Oct 2016
Posts: 1,843
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir Coolerking View Post
I'm wondering how many times a team has been bowled out twice in two sessions? An astonishing feat by Glamorgan to achieve this yesterday.
We'll probably see England try and improve on that at some point this year.

Do Glamorgan actually have any senior batsman or are they all youngsters?
AJ101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 03:14.



Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
© Cricket247.org