Cricket 24/7  

Welcome to the Cricket 24/7.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. There are also more forums available to members, such as the Lounge - where members chat about just about anything under the sun except cricket!

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.


Go Back   Cricket 24/7 > Cricket Discussion Forums > The Kim Jones Domestic Cricket Forum
Register FAQDonate Members List Calendar Casino Articles Terms of Use Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 25th July 2018, 21:45   #121
Supersax
County 1st Team
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Derbyshire
Team(s): Nottinghamshire
Posts: 336
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir Coolerking View Post
I'm wondering how many times a team has been bowled out twice in two sessions? An astonishing feat by Glamorgan to achieve this yesterday.
I remember seeing it happen in 2005. It takes quite some achievement to lose by an innings and plenty before tea on day 2 after you've won the toss and inserted the opposition at an overcast Trent Bridge, but Gloucs managed it:


http://cricketarchive.com/Nottingham.../83/83457.html
Supersax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th August 2018, 10:56   #122
offa59
Bat In Hand
 
Join Date: Feb 2017
Posts: 39
Yesterday at Grace Road Zak Chappell was concussed and substituted by Dieter Klein for the rest of the game. I haven't seen this before and it took a few people by surprise. Has anyone seen this happen elsewhere this season?
offa59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th August 2018, 11:24   #123
Fred
County Pro
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Posts: 940
Quote:
Originally Posted by offa59 View Post
Yesterday at Grace Road Zak Chappell was concussed and substituted by Dieter Klein for the rest of the game. I haven't seen this before and it took a few people by surprise. Has anyone seen this happen elsewhere this season?
didn't see it, wasn't there. But the first ever concussion replacement was Danny Lamb for Joe Mennie in Lancashire's game against Worcestershire in June. It was Lamb's first class debut.
Fred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th August 2018, 14:54   #124
geoff_boycotts_grandmother
Administrator
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 28,319
Spectacular from Warwickshire: from 161-0 to 277 ao.

I wonder how often a team fails to double their score from the fall of the first wicket?
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michelle Fivefer
It was a poor innings by Bell with the bat.
geoff_boycotts_grandmother is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th August 2018, 20:48   #125
Michelle Fivefer
Posting Goddess
 
Michelle Fivefer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: North West England
Team(s): England, Lancashire
Posts: 42,508
Quote:
Originally Posted by geoff_boycotts_grandmother View Post
Spectacular from Warwickshire: from 161-0 to 277 ao.

I wonder how often a team fails to double their score from the fall of the first wicket?
And in a low scoring game they went on to beat Glos by an innings and 47 runs....
__________________
As balanced and focused as the next man
Michelle Fivefer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th August 2018, 21:28   #126
Fred
County Pro
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Posts: 940
Quote:
Originally Posted by geoff_boycotts_grandmother View Post
Spectacular from Warwickshire: from 161-0 to 277 ao.

I wonder how often a team fails to double their score from the fall of the first wicket?
Lancashire against Notts first game of the season. Lancs second innings 49-0 all out for 73 springs to mind:

http://cricketarchive.com/Lancashire...9/1049440.html


Lancs against Worcs http://cricketarchive.com/Lancashire...9/1049493.html 77-0 to 130 all out (after sending in a night watchman far too early).

Probably more examples just from this season.

Almost made it a hat-trick (from 9 matches)

Lancs vs Yorkshire (still this season) http://cricketarchive.com/Lancashire...9/1049506.html 46-0 to 109 all out
Fred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st August 2018, 11:04   #127
geoff_boycotts_grandmother
Administrator
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 28,319
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred View Post
Lancashire against Notts first game of the season. Lancs second innings 49-0 all out for 73 springs to mind:

http://cricketarchive.com/Lancashire...9/1049440.html


Lancs against Worcs http://cricketarchive.com/Lancashire...9/1049493.html 77-0 to 130 all out (after sending in a night watchman far too early).

Probably more examples just from this season.

Almost made it a hat-trick (from 9 matches)

Lancs vs Yorkshire (still this season) http://cricketarchive.com/Lancashire...9/1049506.html 46-0 to 109 all out
Wow, I knew it had been disappointing but I'd missed quite how bad your batting has been this season. Your middle order is such a strength on paper with Chanderpaul, Livingstone and Vilas as well.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michelle Fivefer
It was a poor innings by Bell with the bat.
geoff_boycotts_grandmother is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st August 2018, 11:26   #128
Fred
County Pro
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Posts: 940
Quote:
Originally Posted by geoff_boycotts_grandmother View Post
Wow, I knew it had been disappointing but I'd missed quite how bad your batting has been this season. Your middle order is such a strength on paper with Chanderpaul, Livingstone and Vilas as well.
Statistics can prove anything there are only two sides Surrey and Somerset with more batting bonus points! Lancs had 18 from their first nine matches.

But it's certainly been a brittle season.

Livingstone: top score 48 from 7 matches 9 real innings average 18.56
Chanderpaul: 255 from 12 innings 8 matches ave 21.25 two half centuries
I saw this posted elsewhere about Vilas (haven't fact checked it, but seems accurate):
"His scores have been 0, 1, 3, 4, 6, 10, 13, 20, 22, 25, 33, 49, 61, 134, 235. So his season average is a credible 40 odd. But more often than not (arguably 11/15 innings) he’s getting a nothing score. Average is very decent but I wouldn’t bet on him doing better than a 20."
Croft: 5 games, 6 innings ave 15.67 94 runs 1 half century.

So Chapple debuts a top 4 bat (Bohannon) from the seconds and makes him bat below Vilas, Chanderpaul and Croft! Hierarchies are alive and well.

and arguably those three batting performances / collapses were against relegation rivals, (Notts, Worcs and Yorks) something wrong somewhere.
Fred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st August 2018, 11:32   #129
geoff_boycotts_grandmother
Administrator
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 28,319
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred View Post
Statistics can prove anything there are only two sides Surrey and Somerset with more batting bonus points! Lancs had 18 from their first nine matches.

But it's certainly been a brittle season.

Livingstone: top score 48 from 7 matches 9 real innings average 18.56
Chanderpaul: 255 from 12 innings 8 matches ave 21.25 two half centuries
I saw this posted elsewhere about Vilas (haven't fact checked it, but seems accurate):
"His scores have been 0, 1, 3, 4, 6, 10, 13, 20, 22, 25, 33, 49, 61, 134, 235. So his season average is a credible 40 odd. But more often than not (arguably 11/15 innings) he’s getting a nothing score. Average is very decent but I wouldn’t bet on him doing better than a 20."
Croft: 5 games, 6 innings ave 15.67 94 runs 1 half century.

So Chapple debuts a top 4 bat (Bohannon) from the seconds and makes him bat below Vilas, Chanderpaul and Croft! Hierarchies are alive and well.
I've always thought 4 is an ideal place to blood a youngster. Protects them from the new ball, means they have specialist batsmen to guide them and they don't have to manage the tail. Yet it's rare to see a batsman debut there.

Anyway, this is possibly the wrong thread (at least for a few more matches) to discuss Lancs' woes so I should probably be setting a better example. Apologies to all Div 2 fans for diverting this.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michelle Fivefer
It was a poor innings by Bell with the bat.
geoff_boycotts_grandmother is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st August 2018, 16:21   #130
Warleybear
International Cricketer
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 2,256
After last year's deserved relegation, it's been an interesting season so far in Division two for a very poor Bears side... we didn't get relegated for nothing.

However, we seem to find ourselves at the top of the league. From what I have seen (and I have regularly watched championship cricket since the mid 1970s), there are sides in this division who never look as though they will get out of it.

I watched both days of the Gloucester game and thought Glouc were terrible. I thought Derbyshire competed for 60% of the time and just ran out of steam. Northants looked like a team of sloggers who couldn't wait for T20 to start and I saw all 4 days of the Glamorgan game and despite the fact that we needed close to 300 to win, I never got the feeling we would ever lose.

All this despite the fact that the Bears batting still looks very shakey and vulnerable. Kent and Sussex are the only other sides who look good and I am baffled that Leicestershire are so high up the table. Perhaps some sides do just look to T20 as a means to success as they know the CC is not going to bring people through the gates so a T20 campaign can get people watching and bring in revenue. Some of the recruitments by certain counties look as though they are made for the shorter game.

So my season watching second division cricket leads me to believe (and many will not want to hear it) that the red ball game needs a shake up. There are a handful of counties that should just focus on white ball cricket.
Warleybear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st August 2018, 16:32   #131
geoff_boycotts_grandmother
Administrator
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 28,319
Quote:
Originally Posted by Warleybear View Post
After last year's deserved relegation, it's been an interesting season so far in Division two for a very poor Bears side... we didn't get relegated for nothing.

However, we seem to find ourselves at the top of the league. From what I have seen (and I have regularly watched championship cricket since the mid 1970s), there are sides in this division who never look as though they will get out of it.

I watched both days of the Gloucester game and thought Glouc were terrible. I thought Derbyshire competed for 60% of the time and just ran out of steam. Northants looked like a team of sloggers who couldn't wait for T20 to start and I saw all 4 days of the Glamorgan game and despite the fact that we needed close to 300 to win, I never got the feeling we would ever lose.

All this despite the fact that the Bears batting still looks very shakey and vulnerable. Kent and Sussex are the only other sides who look good and I am baffled that Leicestershire are so high up the table. Perhaps some sides do just look to T20 as a means to success as they know the CC is not going to bring people through the gates so a T20 campaign can get people watching and bring in revenue. Some of the recruitments by certain counties look as though they are made for the shorter game.

So my season watching second division cricket leads me to believe (and many will not want to hear it) that the red ball game needs a shake up. There are a handful of counties that should just focus on white ball cricket.


What sort of shake up would you propose?
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michelle Fivefer
It was a poor innings by Bell with the bat.
geoff_boycotts_grandmother is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st August 2018, 16:36   #132
Prince of Denmark
International Cricketer
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Sydenham Hill
Team(s): Surrey CCC, Dulwich Hamlet FC, England
Age: 52
Posts: 2,061
Quote:
Originally Posted by Warleybear View Post
After last year's deserved relegation, it's been an interesting season so far in Division two for a very poor Bears side... we didn't get relegated for nothing.

However, we seem to find ourselves at the top of the league. From what I have seen (and I have regularly watched championship cricket since the mid 1970s), there are sides in this division who never look as though they will get out of it.

I watched both days of the Gloucester game and thought Glouc were terrible. I thought Derbyshire competed for 60% of the time and just ran out of steam. Northants looked like a team of sloggers who couldn't wait for T20 to start and I saw all 4 days of the Glamorgan game and despite the fact that we needed close to 300 to win, I never got the feeling we would ever lose.

All this despite the fact that the Bears batting still looks very shakey and vulnerable. Kent and Sussex are the only other sides who look good and I am baffled that Leicestershire are so high up the table. Perhaps some sides do just look to T20 as a means to success as they know the CC is not going to bring people through the gates so a T20 campaign can get people watching and bring in revenue. Some of the recruitments by certain counties look as though they are made for the shorter game.

So my season watching second division cricket leads me to believe (and many will not want to hear it) that the red ball game needs a shake up. There are a handful of counties that should just focus on white ball cricket.
Kent last played in the top division in 2010, Glamorgan and Gloucestershire in 2005, Leicestershire in 2003. Derbyshire and Northamptonshire have each had a solitary season in Division 1 during the last 15 years or more. At least Kent look like they may buck that trend this year.
Prince of Denmark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st August 2018, 17:45   #133
Summer of '77
Legendary
 
Summer of '77's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: London-Essex
Team(s): Kent, Essex, Surrey Stars
Posts: 9,156
An astonishing 8 wicket victory by Kent at Grace Road in a match otherwise completely dominated by the ball. The pitch did show signs of quietening a tad yesterday but batting nevertheless remained difficult. Well played, Dickson & Kuhn for their unbeaten double century stand.

An excellent slice of domestic sport which I count myself privileged to have seen a large part of. Quite why more people didn't is part of an ongoing baffling mystery.
Summer of '77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd August 2018, 16:39   #134
geoff_boycotts_grandmother
Administrator
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 28,319
Middlesex who were 166-6, having followed on, manage to turn it around to beat Northants.

Young Max Holden and James Harris the heroes with the bat, Tim Murtagh with the ball.

I presume Duckett was injured as he came in at 8 and got a duck in Northants' unsuccessful chase of 216.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michelle Fivefer
It was a poor innings by Bell with the bat.
geoff_boycotts_grandmother is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd August 2018, 17:32   #135
sharky
Posting God
 
sharky's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Sunny Sussex
Team(s): Sussex, England
Posts: 10,922
Another convincing win for Sussex. How have Kent only got 6 batting points from 9 games but won 6 of them? Craziness.
__________________
She was like a candle in the wind...Unreliable
sharky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd August 2018, 18:51   #136
gmdf
County Pro
 
Join Date: Dec 2016
Posts: 681
Quote:
Originally Posted by sharky View Post
Another convincing win for Sussex. How have Kent only got 6 batting points from 9 games but won 6 of them? Craziness.
Good batting in the second innings (in most games) plus a pretty damn good set of seam bowlers...
gmdf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th August 2018, 16:18   #137
Runningfox
Club Cricketer
 
Join Date: Jul 2015
Team(s): Leicestershire , England
Posts: 112
"baffled that Leicestershire are so high up"

Abbas and Raine outstanding with the ball this season ably assisted by Chappell and Ackerman amongst the best batters in the second division.
Aside from that they have outplayed, but sadly not always beaten, most opponents in this competition this season. Not sure why that is baffling ?
Runningfox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th August 2018, 17:15   #138
Summer of '77
Legendary
 
Summer of '77's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: London-Essex
Team(s): Kent, Essex, Surrey Stars
Posts: 9,156
Quote:
Originally Posted by Runningfox View Post
"baffled that Leicestershire are so high up"

Abbas and Raine outstanding with the ball this season ably assisted by Chappell and Ackerman amongst the best batters in the second division.
Aside from that they have outplayed, but sadly not always beaten, most opponents in this competition this season. Not sure why that is baffling ?
Having watched the first two days of the Kent game at Grace Road, I was astonished that the visitors managed to chase down 250+ so easily against Abbas and Raine, who had both bowled terrifically in the first innings.

Also, to explain Leics' strong season to date...from the times I've seen them, Horton has provided good 'dig in' efforts at the top, whilst Griffiths hasn't done too shabby a job as fourth seamer.
Summer of '77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th August 2018, 20:24   #139
Fred
County Pro
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Posts: 940
Quote:
Originally Posted by Summer of '77 View Post
Having watched the first two days of the Kent game at Grace Road, I was astonished that the visitors managed to chase down 250+ so easily against Abbas and Raine, who had both bowled terrifically in the first innings.

Also, to explain Leics' strong season to date...from the times I've seen them, Horton has provided good 'dig in' efforts at the top, whilst Griffiths hasn't done too shabby a job as fourth seamer.
I read somewhere, that Paul Nixon was very complimentary about the contributions of the county's ex-Lancashire players.

Does make me smile, from memory Horton was essentially sacked by the Lancs Committee, as soon as they were able, after he visibly questioned an umpire's (terrible) decision in the 2014 T20 final. No doubt in my mind Billings would be on his way, if he had been captain of Lancs, for his critical remarks a few days ago.
Fred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th August 2018, 21:05   #140
Summer of '77
Legendary
 
Summer of '77's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: London-Essex
Team(s): Kent, Essex, Surrey Stars
Posts: 9,156
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred View Post
I read somewhere, that Paul Nixon was very complimentary about the contributions of the county's ex-Lancashire players.

Does make me smile, from memory Horton was essentially sacked by the Lancs Committee, as soon as they were able, after he visibly questioned an umpire's (terrible) decision in the 2014 T20 final. No doubt in my mind Billings would be on his way, if he had been captain of Lancs, for his critical remarks a few days ago.
It's not the first time a Kent skipper has publicly criticised a Canterbury wicket. Rob Key did so about ten years ago, when Surrey came to town with their new signing Harbhajan Singh and a right turner was prepared for the match.
Summer of '77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 03:13.



Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
© Cricket247.org