Cricket 24/7  

Welcome to the Cricket 24/7.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. There are also more forums available to members, such as the Lounge - where members chat about just about anything under the sun except cricket!

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.


Go Back   Cricket 24/7 > Cricket Discussion Forums > The Kim Jones Domestic Cricket Forum
Register FAQDonate Members List Calendar Casino Articles Terms of Use Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 26th August 2018, 22:14   #141
Ali TT
Posting God
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 19,827
Quote:
Originally Posted by Summer of '77 View Post
It's not the first time a Kent skipper has publicly criticised a Canterbury wicket. Rob Key did so about ten years ago, when Surrey came to town with their new signing Harbhajan Singh and a right turner was prepared for the match.
And Key was at it again on comms during yesterday's match when they were reflecting back on the Kent Lancs QF and how the pitch suited the visitor's spinners.
__________________
WARNING
Reading the above post may cause bouts of nausea.
Ali TT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th August 2018, 04:47   #142
Prince of Denmark
International Cricketer
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Sydenham Hill
Team(s): Surrey CCC, Dulwich Hamlet FC, England
Age: 52
Posts: 2,114
Quote:
Originally Posted by Summer of '77 View Post
It's not the first time a Kent skipper has publicly criticised a Canterbury wicket. Rob Key did so about ten years ago, when Surrey came to town with their new signing Harbhajan Singh and a right turner was prepared for the match.
That was in August 2007. Surrey won by 4 wickets inside two days, I was intending to go on day three! Harbhajan took 11 wickets in the match and it was Chris Jordan's Championship debut.
Prince of Denmark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th August 2018, 10:44   #143
Summer of '77
Legendary
 
Summer of '77's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: London-Essex
Team(s): Kent, Essex, Surrey Stars
Posts: 9,325
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prince of Denmark View Post
That was in August 2007. Surrey won by 4 wickets inside two days, I was intending to go on day three! Harbhajan took 11 wickets in the match and it was Chris Jordan's Championship debut.
I'd completely forgotten abut Jordan making his bow. I remember Key being the only Kent batsman able to deal with Harby, working him through backward square and fine leg for numerous singles. I think he made near enough half the Kent score himself. At least three batsmen - still hard-wired into T20 mode - perished by trying to hit the off-spinner over the leg side rope.

It was one of those days when you feel annoyed at your club messing up but, all the same, privileged to watch a top quality twirler in his pomp.
Summer of '77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th August 2018, 12:49   #144
Prince of Denmark
International Cricketer
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Sydenham Hill
Team(s): Surrey CCC, Dulwich Hamlet FC, England
Age: 52
Posts: 2,114
Quote:
Originally Posted by Summer of '77 View Post
I'd completely forgotten abut Jordan making his bow. I remember Key being the only Kent batsman able to deal with Harby, working him through backward square and fine leg for numerous singles. I think he made near enough half the Kent score himself. At least three batsmen - still hard-wired into T20 mode - perished by trying to hit the off-spinner over the leg side rope.

It was one of those days when you feel annoyed at your club messing up but, all the same, privileged to watch a top quality twirler in his pomp.
Just had another look at the scorecard. Key carried his bat for 75* in a first innings total of 150, having won the toss, and made 18 in the second innings which totalled 171.
Prince of Denmark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th August 2018, 12:53   #145
Summer of '77
Legendary
 
Summer of '77's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: London-Essex
Team(s): Kent, Essex, Surrey Stars
Posts: 9,325
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prince of Denmark View Post
Just had another look at the scorecard. Key carried his bat for 75* in a first innings total of 150, having won the toss, and made 18 in the second innings which totalled 171.
He did seem to enjoy batting against The Rey, didn't he?
Summer of '77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th August 2018, 19:29   #146
Prince of Denmark
International Cricketer
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Sydenham Hill
Team(s): Surrey CCC, Dulwich Hamlet FC, England
Age: 52
Posts: 2,114
Quote:
Originally Posted by Summer of '77 View Post
He did seem to enjoy batting against The Rey, didn't he?
Yes, it seemed like about a quarter of all his first class centuries were against us, including some daddies. No wonder we kept trying to sign him. Superb county player who probably never quite had the modern fitness ethic to fully establish himself at Test level. He might have done better had he played in the 1960s and 1970s rather than the first decade and a half of the current century.
Prince of Denmark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th August 2018, 10:22   #147
Summer of '77
Legendary
 
Summer of '77's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: London-Essex
Team(s): Kent, Essex, Surrey Stars
Posts: 9,325
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prince of Denmark View Post
Yes, it seemed like about a quarter of all his first class centuries were against us, including some daddies. No wonder we kept trying to sign him. Superb county player who probably never quite had the modern fitness ethic to fully establish himself at Test level. He might have done better had he played in the 1960s and 1970s rather than the first decade and a half of the current century.
For sure. Key did shed a bit of weight later in his career but it coincided with a falling off of form...impossible to say if there was a link. He didn't help his international progress by sometimes getting out in silly ways, often to the less vaunted bowlers - a particular annoyance as he was a very fine player of pace bowling. Nowhere was this better illustrated than when he played for Kent v Australia in 2015 - he looked in little difficulty against Johnson and Harris at near full throttle but, then, thirteen short of a ton, he holed out at cover to the squad's reserve spinner. Still, as you say, a top county batter and he still has the sixth highest Test score ever made at Lord's.
Summer of '77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th August 2018, 14:09   #148
paulsre
World Class
 
paulsre's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: In a class 101 Met Cam time machine to the past
Team(s): Stockholm Taverners CC, Farsta BCCE, County cricket, MCCU cricket, England, Scarborough CC
Posts: 6,191
It's that time of year when a few new faces emerge, and Middlesex's Lom Lace makes his debut for Derbyshire - and first-class debut - after joining on loan until the end of the season.
paulsre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th August 2018, 14:23   #149
geoff_boycotts_grandmother
Administrator
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 28,432
Quote:
Originally Posted by paulsre View Post
It's that time of year when a few new faces emerge, and Middlesex's Lom Lace makes his debut for Derbyshire - and first-class debut - after joining on loan until the end of the season.
That's certainly a new name , alas he's actually the rather less exotic Tom.

His middle name is however Cresswell.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michelle Fivefer
It was a poor innings by Bell with the bat.
geoff_boycotts_grandmother is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th August 2018, 14:57   #150
paulsre
World Class
 
paulsre's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: In a class 101 Met Cam time machine to the past
Team(s): Stockholm Taverners CC, Farsta BCCE, County cricket, MCCU cricket, England, Scarborough CC
Posts: 6,191
Quote:
Originally Posted by geoff_boycotts_grandmother View Post
That's certainly a new name , alas he's actually the rather less exotic Tom.

His middle name is however Cresswell.
Good job that wasn't spelt wrong:

paulsre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th August 2018, 16:39   #151
Prince of Denmark
International Cricketer
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Sydenham Hill
Team(s): Surrey CCC, Dulwich Hamlet FC, England
Age: 52
Posts: 2,114
Quote:
Originally Posted by geoff_boycotts_grandmother View Post
That's certainly a new name , alas he's actually the rather less exotic Tom.

His middle name is however Cresswell.
Still doesn't quite compare with Quinton Hubert Boatswain, who turned out for Leicestershire 2nds last week.
Prince of Denmark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th August 2018, 18:21   #152
paulsre
World Class
 
paulsre's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: In a class 101 Met Cam time machine to the past
Team(s): Stockholm Taverners CC, Farsta BCCE, County cricket, MCCU cricket, England, Scarborough CC
Posts: 6,191
James Bracey in the runs again. When he gets in, he stays there.
paulsre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th September 2018, 16:30   #153
Sir Coolerking
International Material
 
Sir Coolerking's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Berks
Team(s): England, Sussex, Portsmouth
Posts: 1,639
Those pitch inspectors are going to be busy, one lot off to Taunton and another to Canterbury.
Sir Coolerking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th September 2018, 17:33   #154
geoff_boycotts_grandmother
Administrator
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 28,432
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir Coolerking View Post
Those pitch inspectors are going to be busy, one lot off to Taunton and another to Canterbury.
Yikes, only just seen the Northants response.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michelle Fivefer
It was a poor innings by Bell with the bat.
geoff_boycotts_grandmother is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th September 2018, 20:13   #155
gmdf
County Pro
 
Join Date: Dec 2016
Posts: 718
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir Coolerking View Post
Those pitch inspectors are going to be busy, one lot off to Taunton and another to Canterbury.
Send the batting coaches instead, maybe...
gmdf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th September 2018, 13:24   #156
1000yardstare
Posting Goddess
 
1000yardstare's Avatar
JA 852 Cummins 156 Wagner 152 TCurran 27 SCurran 16
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: London
Posts: 21,227
What a scorecard for Leics

5
0
3
0
0*
1
2*
1000yardstare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th September 2018, 13:35   #157
Fred
County Pro
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Posts: 979
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1000yardstare View Post
What a scorecard for Leics

5
0
3
0
0*
1
2*
and only two of them used to play for Lancashire
Fred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th September 2018, 14:23   #158
Sir Coolerking
International Material
 
Sir Coolerking's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Berks
Team(s): England, Sussex, Portsmouth
Posts: 1,639
A good job Sussex scored 373 or else the inspectors would be pondering another trip. Dexter has just snuck past Extras as the top scorer.

There is some rank bad batting going on in this round of fixtures, no wonder England can't find any specialists.
Sir Coolerking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th September 2018, 16:42   #159
Sir Coolerking
International Material
 
Sir Coolerking's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Berks
Team(s): England, Sussex, Portsmouth
Posts: 1,639
Leics last wicket partnership scored 63% of their total runs - I'm wondering what the record is in FC Cricket.
Sir Coolerking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th September 2018, 19:43   #160
gmdf
County Pro
 
Join Date: Dec 2016
Posts: 718
Turns out there was nothing wrong with the pitch at Canterbury - as so often this season it was the overhead conditions that helped bowlers swing the ball...
gmdf is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 03:20.



Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Cricket247.org