Cricket 24/7  

Welcome to the Cricket 24/7.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. There are also more forums available to members, such as the Lounge - where members chat about just about anything under the sun except cricket!

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.


Go Back   Cricket 24/7 > Cricket Discussion Forums > The Kim Jones Domestic Cricket Forum
Register FAQDonate Members List Calendar Casino Articles Terms of Use Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 17th September 2018, 19:13   #1
Petarea
Posting God
 
Petarea's Avatar
Pub bore, with a generously tenuous grip on reality
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 13,579
The One Hundred

https://www.nottinghampost.com/sport...00-2014549?fff
__________________
"Peace, is not just, the absence, of war" Ed S*M*A*S*H
Petarea is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 17th September 2018, 19:31   #2
Summer of '77
Legendary
 
Summer of '77's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: London-Essex
Team(s): Kent, Essex, Surrey Stars
Posts: 9,313
Quote:
Originally Posted by Petarea View Post
Looking at the photo, I hope the crowds improve.
Summer of '77 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 17th September 2018, 19:41   #3
Aidan11
Harmisonesque
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Somewhere cold and wet
Posts: 40,270
Quote:
Originally Posted by Summer of '77 View Post
Looking at the photo, I hope the crowds improve.
I don't.
Aidan11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th September 2018, 20:09   #4
Petarea
Posting God
 
Petarea's Avatar
Pub bore, with a generously tenuous grip on reality
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 13,579
Quote:
Originally Posted by Summer of '77 View Post
Looking at the photo, I hope the crowds improve.
__________________
"Peace, is not just, the absence, of war" Ed S*M*A*S*H
Petarea is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 17th September 2018, 20:46   #5
Sir Virgs and Zamora
Posting God
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 21,898
If they want something different then they should have tried something like kids play with losing 5 runs with a wicket. This is just tinkering.
Sir Virgs and Zamora is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th September 2018, 21:00   #6
Summer of '77
Legendary
 
Summer of '77's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: London-Essex
Team(s): Kent, Essex, Surrey Stars
Posts: 9,313
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir Virgs and Zamora View Post
If they want something different then they should have tried something like kids play with losing 5 runs with a wicket. This is just tinkering.
Tip and run, no lbws and sticksies.
Summer of '77 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 18th September 2018, 13:48   #7
Petarea
Posting God
 
Petarea's Avatar
Pub bore, with a generously tenuous grip on reality
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 13,579
https://www.nottinghampost.com/sport...aining-2014710

So, not much different to T20 then, according to Sam. So I think I'll stick with supporting Notts in the T20 and leave this cobblers to whoever fancies franchise ****.
__________________
"Peace, is not just, the absence, of war" Ed S*M*A*S*H
Petarea is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 18th September 2018, 13:59   #8
Chin Music
Administrator
 
Chin Music's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: la sala de opinion equivocada
Team(s): ****
Posts: 24,468
Not very different from Last Man Stands (has anyone played that?) albeit with 11 players rather than and apart from no double play and no 3 run pens/lack of extra ball for wides/no balls.
__________________
Quote:
"One of the greatest problems of our time is that many are schooled but few are educated" - Thomas More
Chin Music is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th September 2018, 14:48   #9
Night Watchman
Bat In Hand
 
Join Date: Aug 2018
Posts: 10
Did any mums with kids turn up?
Night Watchman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th September 2018, 15:29   #10
Chin Music
Administrator
 
Chin Music's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: la sala de opinion equivocada
Team(s): ****
Posts: 24,468
Quote:
Originally Posted by Night Watchman View Post
Did any mums with kids turn up?
If they were dressed as empty seats then yes, lots.
__________________
Quote:
"One of the greatest problems of our time is that many are schooled but few are educated" - Thomas More
Chin Music is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th September 2018, 18:20   #11
geoff_boycotts_grandmother
Administrator
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 28,417
Was it actually open to attend?

How much were they charging for tickets?
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michelle Fivefer
It was a poor innings by Bell with the bat.
geoff_boycotts_grandmother is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th September 2018, 18:25   #12
Petarea
Posting God
 
Petarea's Avatar
Pub bore, with a generously tenuous grip on reality
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 13,579
Quote:
Originally Posted by geoff_boycotts_grandmother View Post
Was it actually open to attend?

How much were they charging for tickets?
No it was behind closed doors. Apparently the press (or more press than just the Nottingham Post bloke) are allowed there today.
__________________
"Peace, is not just, the absence, of war" Ed S*M*A*S*H
Petarea is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 18th September 2018, 18:27   #13
geoff_boycotts_grandmother
Administrator
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 28,417
Quote:
Originally Posted by Petarea View Post
No it was behind closed doors. Apparently the press (or more press than just the Nottingham Post bloke) are allowed there today.
Ah, would have been interested how they priced it.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michelle Fivefer
It was a poor innings by Bell with the bat.
geoff_boycotts_grandmother is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th September 2018, 18:31   #14
Petarea
Posting God
 
Petarea's Avatar
Pub bore, with a generously tenuous grip on reality
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 13,579
Quote:
Originally Posted by geoff_boycotts_grandmother View Post
Ah, would have been interested how they priced it.
I'd have been more interested in going to one of the test days than when the actual competition starts (if it does, which I still hope not but very much doubt it won't).
__________________
"Peace, is not just, the absence, of war" Ed S*M*A*S*H
Petarea is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 18th September 2018, 19:05   #15
Aidan11
Harmisonesque
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Somewhere cold and wet
Posts: 40,270
Quote:
Originally Posted by Petarea View Post
No it was behind closed doors. Apparently the press (or more press than just the Nottingham Post bloke) are allowed there today.
I find that surprising. I would have thought the ECB would have allowed free entry to the public so they can get an early look at this and hopefully (as far as the ECB are concerned) get hooked on it.
Aidan11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th September 2018, 19:50   #16
Prince of Denmark
International Cricketer
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Sydenham Hill
Team(s): Surrey CCC, Dulwich Hamlet FC, England
Age: 52
Posts: 2,113
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aidan11 View Post
I find that surprising. I would have thought the ECB would have allowed free entry to the public so they can get an early look at this and hopefully (as far as the ECB are concerned) get hooked on it.
They probably didn't want to foot the costs of staffing a Test ground for the public to attend.
Prince of Denmark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th September 2018, 10:34   #17
Petarea
Posting God
 
Petarea's Avatar
Pub bore, with a generously tenuous grip on reality
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 13,579
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aidan11 View Post
I find that surprising. I would have thought the ECB would have allowed free entry to the public so they can get an early look at this and hopefully (as far as the ECB are concerned) get hooked on it.
I could only conclude they expected it to be such a shambles that it was best to keep potential future fans well away.
__________________
"Peace, is not just, the absence, of war" Ed S*M*A*S*H
Petarea is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 19th September 2018, 11:00   #18
paulsre
World Class
 
paulsre's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: In a class 101 Met Cam time machine to the past
Team(s): Stockholm Taverners CC, Farsta BCCE, County cricket, MCCU cricket, England, Scarborough CC
Posts: 6,191
Quote:
Originally Posted by Petarea View Post
So I think I'll stick with supporting Notts in the T20 and leave this cobblers to whoever fancies franchise ****.
For me it's the very fact that the Blast is contested by the counties that is central to its appeal.

Anyone can win it, as shown by the roll of honour since it began, and while the format may be a million miles away from the County Championship, the clubs' different characteristics are very much present.

So you have Surrey literally trying to blast their way to success with a team sprinkled with stars in front of 20,000 high-spirited office workers and co. at The Oval. At the other end of the spectrum, Derbyshire with a careworn coach squeezing the most out of a band of obscure, hungry players before 3,000 family-friendly spectators at a small county ground. And everything in between.

With The Hundred you're removing all those vital ingedients. It will be like alcohol-free wine - characterless.
paulsre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th September 2018, 11:04   #19
Petarea
Posting God
 
Petarea's Avatar
Pub bore, with a generously tenuous grip on reality
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 13,579
Quote:
Originally Posted by paulsre View Post
For me it's the very fact that the Blast is contested by the counties that is central to its appeal.

Anyone can win it, as shown by the roll of honour since it began, and while the format may be a million miles away from the County Championship, the clubs' different characteristics are very much present.

So you have Surrey literally trying to blast their way to success with a team sprinkled with stars in front of 20,000 high-spirited office workers and co. at The Oval. At the other end of the spectrum, Derbyshire with a careworn coach squeezing the most out of a band of obscure, hungry players before 3,000 family-friendly spectators at a small county ground. And everything in between.

With The Hundred you're removing all those vital ingedients. It will be like alcohol-free wine - characterless.
Very excellently put sir.
__________________
"Peace, is not just, the absence, of war" Ed S*M*A*S*H
Petarea is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 19th September 2018, 11:24   #20
Sir Coolerking
International Material
 
Sir Coolerking's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Berks
Team(s): England, Sussex, Portsmouth
Posts: 1,627
Given the usually diverse opinions on this board, it really does take something quite astonishing to unite so many of us here. If nothing else, The Hundred has achieved that!!
Sir Coolerking is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 23:48.



Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Cricket247.org