Cricket 24/7  

Welcome to the Cricket 24/7.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. There are also more forums available to members, such as the Lounge - where members chat about just about anything under the sun except cricket!

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.


Go Back   Cricket 24/7 > Cricket Discussion Forums > International Cricket
Register FAQDonate Members List Calendar Casino Articles Terms of Use Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 29th August 2007, 01:17   #241
Joe Diddly
Posting God
 
Joe Diddly's Avatar
Mark Nicholas' Lawyer's Pall Bearer
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: SW17
Team(s): Northants
Posts: 13,522
Hmmm were the 2 the games against WI in the World Cup and the one against Australia at Bristol?
Joe Diddly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th August 2007, 01:18   #242
Michelle Fivefer
Posting Goddess
 
Michelle Fivefer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: North West England
Team(s): England, Lancashire
Posts: 41,814
Quote:
Originally Posted by [Joe Diddly] View Post
Hmmm were the 2 the games against WI in the World Cup and the one against Australia at Bristol?
Correct.
Michelle Fivefer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th August 2007, 02:15   #243
1000yardstare
Posting Goddess
 
1000yardstare's Avatar
JA 793 Wagner 118 TCurran 7 SCurran 0 Cummins 101
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: London
Posts: 20,196
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michelle Fivefer View Post
Sorry to return to this theme again, but only 2 of KP's MOM awards were in matches that England won. He also has a MotS award for the South Africa series which England lost. Bell has 4 MOM awards and all the matches were England victories.

I don't want to tempt providence by agreeing with what you said. I imagine that KP will bounce back into form in the next couple of matches and extend his number of MOMs. Let's hope that England win as well.

Since Pietersen has played ODIs we have won 26 ODIs and he has been responsible three times. He seems to do well when we don't win.
(Most of these 26 wins were down to the following players in different matches and some in more than one match. Bell, Solanki, Vaughan, Gough, Giles, Trescothick,Strauss, Harmison, Collingwood, Flintoff, Anderson, Joyce, Shah, Cook).
1000yardstare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th August 2007, 09:37   #244
Minor Maggie
Buttleresque
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Leeds
Team(s): Lancashire, England
Posts: 26,670
It must be about time that JA won another MoM award. He hasn't won one since the final ODI of the Pakistan tour. It seems to me though that the bowlers don't tend to get the awards as often as the batsman. Even when he took his hat-trick he didn't get the award because Trescothick scored the runs which helped us win.
Minor Maggie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th August 2007, 13:02   #245
1000yardstare
Posting Goddess
 
1000yardstare's Avatar
JA 793 Wagner 118 TCurran 7 SCurran 0 Cummins 101
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: London
Posts: 20,196
Quote:
Originally Posted by Minor Maggie View Post
It must be about time that JA won another MoM award. He hasn't won one since the final ODI of the Pakistan tour. It seems to me though that the bowlers don't tend to get the awards as often as the batsman. Even when he took his hat-trick he didn't get the award because Trescothick scored the runs which helped us win.

Well he has 7 four wicket hauls and won 3 MOMs for them. The four other times -

1 Trescothick 86 but the bowlers restricted the opposition to 185 and we got the runs in 22 overs only losing 3 wickets so I would have given Anderson that one. The most economical bowler.
2 Flintoff 54 runs and 1 wicket but Vaughan got 83. Again bowlers restricted opposition to 198 and we got in the runs in 39 overs. Flintoff the most expensive bowler. I think Vaughan or Anderson should have got that one.
3 Flintoff 72 and 2 wickets. Rightly went to Flintoff
4 Bell 126 not out. Rightly went to Bell.
1000yardstare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th August 2007, 14:04   #246
Michelle Fivefer
Posting Goddess
 
Michelle Fivefer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: North West England
Team(s): England, Lancashire
Posts: 41,814
Quote:
Originally Posted by Minor Maggie View Post
It must be about time that JA won another MoM award. He hasn't won one since the final ODI of the Pakistan tour. It seems to me though that the bowlers don't tend to get the awards as often as the batsman. Even when he took his hat-trick he didn't get the award because Trescothick scored the runs which helped us win.
Without checking the evidence, I would guess that bowlers get the award only when there has been no one batting performance that stands out. Or when the bowler has put in an all-round performance with bat and ball.
Michelle Fivefer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th August 2007, 14:07   #247
Joe Diddly
Posting God
 
Joe Diddly's Avatar
Mark Nicholas' Lawyer's Pall Bearer
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: SW17
Team(s): Northants
Posts: 13,522
Well, in the case of a batsmen getting a hundred in a score of say, 260, and a bowler getting 5-25 bowling the other team out for 160, then the bowler would get it, adding to your statement above.
Joe Diddly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th August 2007, 14:32   #248
Michelle Fivefer
Posting Goddess
 
Michelle Fivefer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: North West England
Team(s): England, Lancashire
Posts: 41,814
Quote:
Originally Posted by [Joe Diddly] View Post
Well, in the case of a batsmen getting a hundred in a score of say, 260, and a bowler getting 5-25 bowling the other team out for 160, then the bowler would get it, adding to your statement above.
I'm straying further off topic here, but Ian Bell has scored 6 centuries in test cricket and not won a single MOM award. His ton v. Pakistan in Pakistan was in a losing cause. On other occasions he wasn't the only centurion and the award went to someone who made more runs or scored them earlier in the innings, setting the tone. (Adding weight to the argument by Psyduck et al that Bell only performs on the back of work done by others). However, he should have been man of the match for his first century, in his third test match, v Banglaedesh. He was the highest scorer with 162*. Instead, the award inexplicably went to a bemused Matthew Hoggard for his 8 wickets in the match including 5/73 in the 2nd innings at an economy rate of 4.61 and including 8 no-balls.
Michelle Fivefer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th August 2007, 14:34   #249
Joe Diddly
Posting God
 
Joe Diddly's Avatar
Mark Nicholas' Lawyer's Pall Bearer
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: SW17
Team(s): Northants
Posts: 13,522
That was a bit ridiculous, but MOTS awards are usually much more clear cut as generally the figures tend to balance out over a series. Getting a century should be its own reward though
Joe Diddly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th August 2007, 15:11   #250
Aidan11
Harmisonesque
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Somewhere cold and wet
Posts: 39,412
Shame wicketkeepers never get MOM awards
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Northantsfanone View Post
Speaking to Geoff Cook today they may released Mark Wood from Durham. He rates him but the kid has had an operation and maybe one too many bowlers on the books type deal.
Aidan11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th August 2007, 15:15   #251
Fatslogger
Self Confessed Mentalist
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Hitchin
Team(s): England and Liverpool
Age: 41
Posts: 43,276
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michelle Fivefer View Post
I'm straying further off topic here, but Ian Bell has scored 6 centuries in test cricket and not won a single MOM award. His ton v. Pakistan in Pakistan was in a losing cause. On other occasions he wasn't the only centurion and the award went to someone who made more runs or scored them earlier in the innings, setting the tone. (Adding weight to the argument by Psyduck et al that Bell only performs on the back of work done by others). However, he should have been man of the match for his first century, in his third test match, v Banglaedesh. He was the highest scorer with 162*. Instead, the award inexplicably went to a bemused Matthew Hoggard for his 8 wickets in the match including 5/73 in the 2nd innings at an economy rate of 4.61 and including 8 no-balls.
I think Hoggy was hugely embarrassed to get that one and said he'd bowled like a Troglodyte. It was voted for by the Sky viewers and they clearly knew sod all.
__________________
Work is the curse of the drinking classes - Wilde
Fatslogger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th August 2007, 15:16   #252
Michelle Fivefer
Posting Goddess
 
Michelle Fivefer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: North West England
Team(s): England, Lancashire
Posts: 41,814
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aidan11 View Post
Shame wicketkeepers never get MOM awards
I know you threw that out as a challenge and I wouldn't want to disappoint you.

Chris Read
1st ODI v WI at Georgetown, 2003/04
Man of the Match

27 runs from 15 balls to take England to the target of 157.

Last edited by Michelle Fivefer : 29th August 2007 at 15:19.
Michelle Fivefer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th August 2007, 15:24   #253
Michelle Fivefer
Posting Goddess
 
Michelle Fivefer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: North West England
Team(s): England, Lancashire
Posts: 41,814
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aidan11 View Post
Shame wicketkeepers never get MOM awards
Also, Geraint Jones was MOM in the test match in which he scored his first and only century, and has two MOM awards in one-day cricket (one for his 71 in the tied final v. Aus in 2005).
Michelle Fivefer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th August 2007, 15:29   #254
Joe Diddly
Posting God
 
Joe Diddly's Avatar
Mark Nicholas' Lawyer's Pall Bearer
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: SW17
Team(s): Northants
Posts: 13,522
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michelle Fivefer View Post
I know you threw that out as a challenge and I wouldn't want to disappoint you.

Chris Read
1st ODI v WI at Georgetown, 2003/04
Man of the Match

27 runs from 15 balls to take England to the target of 157.
Surely his greatest moment in test cricket?
Joe Diddly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th August 2007, 15:36   #255
Fatslogger
Self Confessed Mentalist
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Hitchin
Team(s): England and Liverpool
Age: 41
Posts: 43,276
Quote:
Originally Posted by [Joe Diddly] View Post
Surely his greatest moment in test cricket?
Perhaps so, even though it was in an ODI.
__________________
Work is the curse of the drinking classes - Wilde
Fatslogger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th August 2007, 15:40   #256
Joe Diddly
Posting God
 
Joe Diddly's Avatar
Mark Nicholas' Lawyer's Pall Bearer
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: SW17
Team(s): Northants
Posts: 13,522
Haha. International cricket then.
Joe Diddly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th August 2007, 20:23   #257
Minor Maggie
Buttleresque
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Leeds
Team(s): Lancashire, England
Posts: 26,670
I've just been looking at some ODI stats:
Flintoff has now taken more wickets in this year than in any other year and needs 4 more wickets to overtake Beefy in the all time list of English wicket-takers. Flintoff is currently the joint 2nd highest wicket taker this year with 32 with Shane Bond. McGrath leads with 39.

Anderson needs another 6 wickets to overtake Daffy on the all-time lists. If he manages to take another 7 wickets he will equal the most wickets taken in a series which is 18 by Goughie but he did it in 12 matches. The most in 7 matches is 13 by Graham Dilley. The most wickets he has taken in a calender year is 41 and he needs another 10 to better that with up to 8 games still to play.

Last edited by Minor Maggie : 30th August 2007 at 20:44. Reason: Typo thanks JD!
Minor Maggie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th August 2007, 20:35   #258
Michelle Fivefer
Posting Goddess
 
Michelle Fivefer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: North West England
Team(s): England, Lancashire
Posts: 41,814
Quote:
Originally Posted by Minor Maggie View Post
I've just been looking at some ODI stats:
Flintoff has now taken more wickets in this year than in any other year and needs 4 more wickets to overtake Beefy in the all time list of English wicket-takers. Flintoff is currently the joint 2nd highest wicket taker this year with 32 with Shane Bond. McGrath leads with 39.

Anderson needs another 6 wickets to overtake Daffy on the all-time lists. If he manages to take another 7 wickets he will equal the most wickets taken in a series which is 18 by Goughie but he did it in 12 matches. The most in 17 matches is 13 by Graham Dilley. The most wickets he has taken in a calender year is 41 and he needs another 10 to better that with up to 8 games still to play.
At least Anderson has removed the millstone of the 100th wicket. Since he got it, he seems to have been taking wickets a lot more regularly - he seemed to get stuck when he was in the late 90s.
Michelle Fivefer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th August 2007, 20:38   #259
Joe Diddly
Posting God
 
Joe Diddly's Avatar
Mark Nicholas' Lawyer's Pall Bearer
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: SW17
Team(s): Northants
Posts: 13,522
Quote:
Originally Posted by Minor Maggie View Post
The most in 17 matches is 13 by Graham Dilley.
Eh?
Joe Diddly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th August 2007, 20:45   #260
Minor Maggie
Buttleresque
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Leeds
Team(s): Lancashire, England
Posts: 26,670
Sorry it should have read in 7 matches. (We teachers like to check that our audience are on their toes )
Minor Maggie is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 01:10.



Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Cricket247.org