Cricket 24/7  

Welcome to the Cricket 24/7.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. There are also more forums available to members, such as the Lounge - where members chat about just about anything under the sun except cricket!

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.


Go Back   Cricket 24/7 > Cricket Discussion Forums > Ex-International Player Forum
Register FAQDonate Members List Calendar Casino Articles Terms of Use Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 19th April 2015, 14:15   #21
geoff_boycotts_grandmother
Administrator
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 29,550
Quote:
Originally Posted by sharky View Post
I don't think it's that fanciful. Moeen has batted top 3 in all cricket for most of his career. Not ideal, but England need to be a bit creative to fit everyone in at the moment.
A bit creative, or just pick Root in the position he's played for most of his career?
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michelle Fivefer
It was a poor innings by Bell with the bat.
geoff_boycotts_grandmother is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th April 2015, 14:24   #22
sharky
Posting God
 
sharky's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Sunny Sussex
Team(s): Sussex, England
Posts: 11,693
Quote:
Originally Posted by geoff_boycotts_grandmother View Post
A bit creative, or just pick Root in the position he's played for most of his career?
For some reason Root just seems so settled where he is, a bit like Mike Hussey opened for all his domestic career but got his slot in the middle order for the Aussies. In my opinion Root would get out early quite often if he is facing the new ball which has shown in the few occasions he has opened, his big Ashes hundred aside (he did knick off a couple of times early on even in that innings). He is seriously prolific down the order and I wouldn't want to lose that.

Ali opening may have similar frailties but I don't think the difference in runs scored by him in the two positions would vary as much as with Root.
__________________
She was like a candle in the wind...Unreliable
sharky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th April 2015, 18:09   #23
CDogg16
Established International
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Posts: 4,000
Quote:
Originally Posted by Psyduck View Post
Opening!? Have you ever seen Moeen bat?
Yes I have in international limited overs cricket where he did a decent job, I think he scored an impressive century against Sri Lanka in he position. He would also act as a good foil for Cook and the run rate would not become bogged down.

Didn't Shane Watson start off as a number six and then moved up to opening. He bats further down the order now but he did a job at a time when Australia had few options for openers, a position England are in now.
CDogg16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th April 2015, 18:18   #24
Psyduck
Posting God
 
Psyduck's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Manchester
Team(s): England, Lancashire, Man Utd
Posts: 17,221
Quote:
Originally Posted by CDogg16 View Post
Yes I have in international limited overs cricket where he did a decent job, I think he scored an impressive century against Sri Lanka in he position. He would also act as a good foil for Cook and the run rate would not become bogged down.
I agree he has done a "decent" job in ODI cricket to date but both of his centuries have come against very modest bowling attacks. Whenever he has come up against a good pair of opening bowlers he has struggled. He is too loose outside off stump and, even more worryingly for a would be opening batsmen, he really struggles against the short ball.
Psyduck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th April 2015, 18:26   #25
CDogg16
Established International
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Posts: 4,000
Quote:
Originally Posted by Psyduck View Post
I agree he has done a "decent" job in ODI cricket to date but both of his centuries have come against very modest bowling attacks. Whenever he has come up against a good pair of opening bowlers he has struggled. He is too loose outside off stump and, even more worryingly for a would be opening batsmen, he really struggles against the short ball.
I'm beginning to think you will describe every bowling attack as modest unless Warne, Ambrose, MaGrath, Akram and Donald come out of retirement and form a legends XI.

Didn't the Sri Lankan attack contain Malinga, one of the finest ODI bowlers of his generation?
CDogg16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th April 2015, 18:32   #26
Ali TT
Posting God
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 21,970
Hmm, this is the Tredders thread and there is a thread for Moeen. But anyhow. I think a big downer for not having Ali as an opener is that he's supposedly our main spinner. It would be unrealistic to expect him to bowl 20 or 30 overs per innings, then come straight off and be expected to bat.
__________________
WARNING
Reading the above post may cause bouts of nausea.
Ali TT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th April 2015, 18:35   #27
Fatslogger
Self Confessed Mentalist
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Hitchin
Team(s): England and Liverpool
Age: 43
Posts: 43,909
Quote:
Originally Posted by sharky View Post
I don't think it's that fanciful. Moeen has batted top 3 in all cricket for most of his career. Not ideal, but England need to be a bit creative to fit everyone in at the moment.
I really don't think his batting suits opening at the higher level. It might even work against WI (although their opening quicks have been good with the new ball) but it's not viable medium term, I don't think. Apart from anything else, we really don't want to be displacing rather better batsmen than Moeen down the order. Root at 6, Stokes 7, Buttler 8? I don't mind Stokes at 7 but both of the others look at least a place too low (4 too low in Root's case).
__________________
Work is the curse of the drinking classes - Wilde
Fatslogger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th April 2015, 20:06   #28
Psyduck
Posting God
 
Psyduck's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Manchester
Team(s): England, Lancashire, Man Utd
Posts: 17,221
Quote:
Originally Posted by CDogg16 View Post
Didn't the Sri Lankan attack contain Malinga, one of the finest ODI bowlers of his generation?
No.
Psyduck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th April 2015, 21:05   #29
Fatslogger
Self Confessed Mentalist
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Hitchin
Team(s): England and Liverpool
Age: 43
Posts: 43,909
Quote:
Originally Posted by sharky View Post
For some reason Root just seems so settled where he is, a bit like Mike Hussey opened for all his domestic career but got his slot in the middle order for the Aussies. In my opinion Root would get out early quite often if he is facing the new ball which has shown in the few occasions he has opened, his big Ashes hundred aside (he did knick off a couple of times early on even in that innings). He is seriously prolific down the order and I wouldn't want to lose that.

Ali opening may have similar frailties but I don't think the difference in runs scored by him in the two positions would vary as much as with Root.
Hussey batted in the middle order because there was no way Langer or Hayden was making way for him whereas there were problems in the middle order. It's not really comparable.

Just in case this is still the Tredwell thread, does anyone think he and Ali could both play?
__________________
Work is the curse of the drinking classes - Wilde
Fatslogger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th April 2015, 21:15   #30
Ali TT
Posting God
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 21,970
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fatslogger View Post
Hussey batted in the middle order because there was no way Langer or Hayden was making way for him whereas there were problems in the middle order. It's not really comparable.

Just in case this is still the Tredwell thread, does anyone think he and Ali could both play?
If so he would surely have to come in for Stokes
__________________
WARNING
Reading the above post may cause bouts of nausea.
Ali TT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th April 2015, 21:51   #31
sharky
Posting God
 
sharky's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Sunny Sussex
Team(s): Sussex, England
Posts: 11,693
I'm finding it hard to come up with a suitable team. There are a lot of players who I'd like to fit in, but getting a balance is tricky. That's why I really wouldn't rule out Ali opening in order to get the second spinner in.

Cook, Ali, Ballance, Bell, Root, Stokes, Buttler, Plunkett, Broad, Tredwell, Anderson
__________________
She was like a candle in the wind...Unreliable
sharky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th April 2015, 22:01   #32
Fatslogger
Self Confessed Mentalist
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Hitchin
Team(s): England and Liverpool
Age: 43
Posts: 43,909
Quote:
Originally Posted by sharky View Post
I'm finding it hard to come up with a suitable team. There are a lot of players who I'd like to fit in, but getting a balance is tricky. That's why I really wouldn't rule out Ali opening in order to get the second spinner in.

Cook, Ali, Ballance, Bell, Root, Stokes, Buttler, Plunkett, Broad, Tredwell, Anderson
That looks like six bowlers plus a useful part timer in Root. I think you leave Tredwell out if you're playing Ali, to answer my own question. I'd pick Lyth but then I'd certainly drop Cook so my team isn't going to resemble the one England picks terribly closely. From the squad:

Lyth
Root
Trott
Ballance
Bell
Stokes
Buttler
Ali
Plunkett
Broad
Anderson

I think you badly want that slight extra pace that Plunkett offers on slow tracks. It's a bit harsh on Jordan and Tredwell, neither of whom had bad games but this version has a bit more penetration.
__________________
Work is the curse of the drinking classes - Wilde
Fatslogger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th April 2015, 22:02   #33
Psyduck
Posting God
 
Psyduck's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Manchester
Team(s): England, Lancashire, Man Utd
Posts: 17,221
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fatslogger View Post
Just in case this is still the Tredwell thread, does anyone think he and Ali could both play?
Tredwell is injured.
Psyduck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th April 2015, 22:06   #34
Fatslogger
Self Confessed Mentalist
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Hitchin
Team(s): England and Liverpool
Age: 43
Posts: 43,909
Quote:
Originally Posted by Psyduck View Post
Tredwell is injured.
Didn't realise he was definitely out but even if marginal would be unlikely to take the risk with Ali to come in instead of him.
__________________
Work is the curse of the drinking classes - Wilde
Fatslogger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th April 2015, 22:13   #35
Psyduck
Posting God
 
Psyduck's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Manchester
Team(s): England, Lancashire, Man Utd
Posts: 17,221
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fatslogger View Post
Didn't realise he was definitely out but even if marginal would be unlikely to take the risk with Ali to come in instead of him.
If he is fit I'd be inclined to pick them both. Jordan would be the man to drop out.
Psyduck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th April 2015, 22:20   #36
Wandering Zebra
Not Lara or Chanderpaul but the best you've got
 
Wandering Zebra's Avatar
When Hope is gone, I will appear.
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Glasgow
Team(s): AFC Hornchurch, Essex, England
Age: 35
Posts: 18,512
I wouldn't pick Tredwell over any of the other bowlers. He's probably on a par with Jordan as far as wicket-taking is concerned but Jordan offers more.

FWIW I'd go Rashid and Plunkett over Tredwell and Jordan.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by High Druid Nathan Barley View Post
I'm fully aware of his thinking, which merely underlines the point that he's an idiot.
Wandering Zebra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th April 2015, 22:25   #37
Fatslogger
Self Confessed Mentalist
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Hitchin
Team(s): England and Liverpool
Age: 43
Posts: 43,909
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zebranine Chanderpaul View Post
I wouldn't pick Tredwell over any of the other bowlers. He's probably on a par with Jordan as far as wicket-taking is concerned but Jordan offers more.

FWIW I'd go Rashid and Plunkett over Tredwell and Jordan.
I like Plunkett but am far less sold on Rashid. It's a bit of a shame if he never gets a go but I just don't see him as being effective in tests often enough. The fact that he bats pretty well offers England rather less than at most times in the past as we've got so much lower order batting already.
__________________
Work is the curse of the drinking classes - Wilde
Fatslogger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th April 2015, 23:54   #38
1000yardstare
Posting Goddess
 
1000yardstare's Avatar
JA 862 Bumrah 215 Cummins 213 TCurran 41 SCurran 17
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: London
Posts: 21,851
Quote:
Originally Posted by Psyduck View Post
If he is fit I'd be inclined to pick them both. Jordan would be the man to drop out.
He's the specialist slip fielder for the spinners.
1000yardstare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st April 2015, 00:00   #39
geoff_boycotts_grandmother
Administrator
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 29,550
Specialist fielder alert!
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michelle Fivefer
It was a poor innings by Bell with the bat.
geoff_boycotts_grandmother is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st April 2015, 10:06   #40
sanskritsimon
Posting God
 
sanskritsimon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Team(s): Arkholme Bees, Hackney Grasshoppers, Holy Cross Academicals
Posts: 11,566
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zebranine Chanderpaul View Post
I wouldn't pick Tredwell over any of the other bowlers. He's probably on a par with Jordan as far as wicket-taking is concerned but Jordan offers more ....
Jordan offers more with the bat and in the field, no doubt, but judging from the scorecard of the last test Tredwell certainly offers more in terms of wicket-taking (5 wickets to 2). Going into the next test where by all accounts the pitch is going to be even slower, I'd expect Jordan to be even less effective than he was in Antigua. As for Tredwell, I'd expect him to do about the same as he did in Antigua. He's likely to take wickets in the first innings when the batsmen need runs, but if they're batting for a draw later in the game then he hasn't got many tricks other than patience. Having said that though, I think overall he'd be likely to do better than any of our seamers again, as he did in the first test. The only seamer one could really have hopes for is Plunkett, who allegedly has extra pace and has the merit of not already having been ineffective in the last match.
sanskritsimon is online now   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 08:38.



Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Cricket247.org