Cricket 24/7  

Welcome to the Cricket 24/7.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. There are also more forums available to members, such as the Lounge - where members chat about just about anything under the sun except cricket!

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.


Go Back   Cricket 24/7 > Cricket Discussion Forums > Other International Teams
Register FAQDonate Members List Calendar Casino Articles Terms of Use Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12th February 2010, 23:28   #21
half-tracker
County Pro
 
half-tracker's Avatar
King Jimmy
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Fareham/Brizzol
Team(s): Hampshire
Age: 27
Posts: 554
Zimbabwe's squad selections look stronger and stronger with each series. The restructuring of the domestic format has brought a number of players back into the country, including the likes of Sean Ervine. I also saw that one of the domestic squads includes Steve Tikolo and Thomas Odoyo. If they can continue to attract relative quality such as these two, as well as players that left the country 4 or 5 years ago in protest, then it seems that Zimbabwe are at last heading in the right direction.
half-tracker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th February 2010, 13:54   #22
Fatslogger
Self Confessed Mentalist
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Hitchin
Team(s): England and Liverpool
Age: 42
Posts: 43,610
Yes, they still won't be great and any younger players will be very short of higher level experience but for Zimbabwe to return to a standard which potentially allows it to be competitive for bits of games would be a big improvement.
__________________
Work is the curse of the drinking classes - Wilde
Fatslogger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th September 2010, 14:08   #23
Chin Music
Administrator
 
Chin Music's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: la sala de opinion equivocada
Team(s): ****
Posts: 24,319
http://www.cricinfo.com/icccont2010/...ry/479221.html

This is about Zimbabwe pulling out of a match against Scotland in the intercontinental cup, the associate members first class competition. I would think their playing base, which excludes a few of their number who wish to earn their corn overseas is far from strong enough to actually compete meaningfully in tests at the moment. In fact the Irish have been giving them a run for their money in ODIs.
__________________
Quote:
"One of the greatest problems of our time is that many are schooled but few are educated" - Thomas More
Chin Music is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th September 2010, 14:23   #24
Jock McTuffnel v3
World Class
 
Jock McTuffnel v3's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Cambridge
Team(s): England
Posts: 6,782
Zimbabwe's chairman of selectors, Alistair Campbell, has criticised the UK government's advice against visiting the country and Cricket Scotland's subsequent decision to not tour Zimbabwe for an ICC Intercontinental Cup fixture in October.

"We have ten Englishmen playing cricket and coaching in Zimbabwe, including our national coach Alan Butcher, and apart from anything else the decision is an insult to them," Campbell told AFP.

The match was initially scheduled for a neutral African venue before the Scotland board agreed to a proposal to play in Zimbabwe, but a change in the UK government's policy led to the reversing of the decision. It was a setback to Zimbabwe's return to the fold following their withdrawal from Test cricket in 2006. India and Sri Lanka toured the country for a triangular series in May, and Ireland confirmed their September trip for an Intercontinental Cup game and three ODIs. Kenya and Afghanistan also played their Intercontinental Cup matches in the country recently.

When asked about Zimbabwe's proposed visit to Pakistan later in 2010, Campbell was confident that most of the players would be willing to tour the country. The players are yet to be sounded out on the sensitive issue of touring Pakistan, where no international cricket has been played since March 2009 following the terror attacks on the touring Sri Lanka side. Campbell said that if a player refused, he will not be pressured to go.

Zimbabwe Cricket had earlier said that it was prepared to send a team to Pakistan to help raise funds for people affected by the floods that have ravaged the country. However, the schedule of Pakistan's tour of New Zealand may have to be altered in order to accommodate Zimbabwe's trip.
Jock McTuffnel v3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th September 2010, 14:38   #25
Huda
International Material
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Team(s): Bangladesh
Posts: 1,897
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chin Music View Post
http://www.cricinfo.com/icccont2010/...ry/479221.html

This is about Zimbabwe pulling out of a match against Scotland in the intercontinental cup, the associate members first class competition. I would think their playing base, which excludes a few of their number who wish to earn their corn overseas is far from strong enough to actually compete meaningfully in tests at the moment. In fact the Irish have been giving them a run for their money in ODIs.
That's true but they have completely revamped their FC system and things are back to normal for their cricketing team. All these boycotts that took place in the past decade has been a waste of time and just hindered Zimbabwean cricket, politically Mugabe is still there and the cricketing situation has done a full circle. Most the players are back either coaching or back playing, international coaches and players are involved and Nz will be touring soon. Don't see the point in Scotland or any other team still avoiding Zimbabwe because of the politics there.
Huda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th September 2010, 22:45   #26
Maty
Posting God
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Team(s): Derybshire
Age: 30
Posts: 13,332
Send a message via MSN to Maty
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chin Music View Post
http://www.cricinfo.com/icccont2010/...ry/479221.html

This is about Zimbabwe pulling out of a match against Scotland in the intercontinental cup, the associate members first class competition. I would think their playing base, which excludes a few of their number who wish to earn their corn overseas is far from strong enough to actually compete meaningfully in tests at the moment. In fact the Irish have been giving them a run for their money in ODIs.
Lets not forget that Zimbabwe very recently got to the final of tri series involving Sri Lanka and India, granted these were not full strength sides but they picked up some pretty convincing wins in that series.

Zimbabwe at the moment are in as good of a shape as thy have been for a good while and they have quite a few competent players.
Maty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th September 2010, 22:49   #27
Maty
Posting God
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Team(s): Derybshire
Age: 30
Posts: 13,332
Send a message via MSN to Maty
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chin Music View Post
http://www.cricinfo.com/icccont2010/...ry/479221.html

This is about Zimbabwe pulling out of a match against Scotland in the intercontinental cup, the associate members first class competition. I would think their playing base, which excludes a few of their number who wish to earn their corn overseas is far from strong enough to actually compete meaningfully in tests at the moment. In fact the Irish have been giving them a run for their money in ODIs.
Lets not forget Zimbabwe made the final of a tri series with Inida and Sri Lanka not so long ago, yes they were both not at full strength but there were some pretty convincing wins for the Zimbabweans along the way.

As has been pointed out here the domestic game in the region now looks pretty well structured. Zimbabwe do have the making of a handy little side and they havn't really lost that battling nature that they had in thier better days, i can't see them ever being a good test side but certainly in one day games they are a threat on thier day.

Last edited by Maty : 29th September 2010 at 23:20.
Maty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th September 2010, 10:02   #28
slop
Posting God
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Cambridge
Team(s): South Africa
Age: 42
Posts: 18,805
Quote:
Originally Posted by Huda View Post
That's true but they have completely revamped their FC system and things are back to normal for their cricketing team. All these boycotts that took place in the past decade has been a waste of time and just hindered Zimbabwean cricket, politically Mugabe is still there and the cricketing situation has done a full circle. Most the players are back either coaching or back playing, international coaches and players are involved and Nz will be touring soon. Don't see the point in Scotland or any other team still avoiding Zimbabwe because of the politics there.
I don't think that's quite the case. The people that were in power are, unfortunately, still in power but the structure has changed. There seems to be a lot more positive stuff happening in the Zim team. The return of players and international coaches suggests things are different. Even if the variable boycott had failed, it doesn't mean it wasn't worth trying.

As for Scotland, it's not necessarily cricket politics that is preventing their trip, they were advised and put under pressure by their government.

This all seems very magnanimous from Zim. They could have insisted the match be played in Zim and Scotland forfeit. I know it's a competition at a lower level than they feel they should be playing but I was still surprised.
slop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th September 2010, 14:10   #29
Huda
International Material
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Team(s): Bangladesh
Posts: 1,897
Quote:
Originally Posted by slop View Post
I don't think that's quite the case. The people that were in power are, unfortunately, still in power but the structure has changed. There seems to be a lot more positive stuff happening in the Zim team. The return of players and international coaches suggests things are different. Even if the variable boycott had failed, it doesn't mean it wasn't worth trying.

As for Scotland, it's not necessarily cricket politics that is preventing their trip, they were advised and put under pressure by their government.

This all seems very magnanimous from Zim. They could have insisted the match be played in Zim and Scotland forfeit. I know it's a competition at a lower level than they feel they should be playing but I was still surprised.
I don't think it is all that different. The boycott was never going to work and still hasn't worked. Sport and politics shouldn't mix. The likes of Alistair Campbell, G.Flower, Taibu, Blignaut, Streak have all returned due to $$$ because they probably weren't making a living elsewhere. There's been no indication that things have changed hugely from the past apart from Chingoka stepping down from a higher post. The authority (ZC) that was boycotted in the first place was involved in this reconstruction of their FC system that has brought the likes of Klusener, Donald, Gillespie.
Huda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th September 2010, 15:10   #30
slop
Posting God
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Cambridge
Team(s): South Africa
Age: 42
Posts: 18,805
Quote:
Originally Posted by Huda View Post
I don't think it is all that different. The boycott was never going to work and still hasn't worked. Sport and politics shouldn't mix.
I can't be so sure. Seemed to have an influence in other situations like SA.

And the whole problem in Zim was that they definitely did mix. So you can't say they shouldn't and then stand by while it ruins the sport in another country because you don't want them to mix.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huda View Post
The likes of Alistair Campbell, G.Flower, Taibu, Blignaut, Streak have all returned due to $$$ because they probably weren't making a living elsewhere. There's been no indication that things have changed hugely from the past apart from Chingoka stepping down from a higher post. The authority (ZC) that was boycotted in the first place was involved in this reconstruction of their FC system that has brought the likes of Klusener, Donald, Gillespie.
As I said, it is unfortunate that those in authority haven't been replaced, but my point was that they do seem to have changed their ways, including the restructuring. I don't know what you base it on, but if you really feel that the return of the ex-players is because of money, then the influx of foreign talent, that doesn't necessarily need the money, is still an indication that things have improved. The likes of Donald and co have had positive things to say which in itself is a huge change. Not saying it's enough, but it's not the same as before.
slop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd October 2010, 12:46   #31
Maty
Posting God
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Team(s): Derybshire
Age: 30
Posts: 13,332
Send a message via MSN to Maty
Not sure as to the wisdom of giving a recall to Grant Flower...
Maty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd October 2010, 13:19   #32
Rey
Administrator
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Castleford
Team(s): Yorkshire
Posts: 14,312
He's taken Greg Lamb's place, travesty!
__________________
"He has sat on the fence so long that the iron has entered his soul."
Rey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd October 2010, 18:19   #33
greyblazer
County Pro
 
greyblazer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 993
My views on Zimbabwe

http://greyblazerr.blogspot.com/2010...-zimbabwe.html
greyblazer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd October 2010, 22:00   #34
sanskritsimon
Posting God
 
sanskritsimon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Team(s): Arkholme Bees, Hackney Grasshoppers, Holy Cross Academicals
Posts: 10,684
Quote:
Originally Posted by greyblazer View Post
Thanks Greybl ... good stuff!
sanskritsimon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st March 2013, 18:01   #35
paulsre
World Class
 
paulsre's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: In a class 101 Met Cam time machine to the past
Team(s): Stockholm Taverners CC, County cricket, MCCU cricket, England, Scarborough CC, Swedish cricket
Posts: 6,089
What is the situation regarding England and Zimbabwe now? Zimbabwe seem to be back to playing every Test nation now in some form of series (looking at the future tours programme) - except England.
paulsre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd March 2013, 20:07   #36
Chin Music
Administrator
 
Chin Music's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: la sala de opinion equivocada
Team(s): ****
Posts: 24,319
Quote:
Originally Posted by paulsre View Post
What is the situation regarding England and Zimbabwe now? Zimbabwe seem to be back to playing every Test nation now in some form of series (looking at the future tours programme) - except England.
they may be back on the field, but are they playing?
Chin Music is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd March 2013, 20:22   #37
sweatysock
Established International
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Team(s): Sussex & Scotland
Posts: 3,849
They rarely play this form of cricket - and it showed! Reckon if they are serious on getting better, a few Tours v A teams will help them gain the necessary experience - there is a hint of talent there
sweatysock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd March 2013, 20:46   #38
Chin Music
Administrator
 
Chin Music's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: la sala de opinion equivocada
Team(s): ****
Posts: 24,319
Quote:
Originally Posted by sweatysock View Post
They rarely play this form of cricket - and it showed! Reckon if they are serious on getting better, a few Tours v A teams will help them gain the necessary experience - there is a hint of talent there
Surely playing fc games in South Africa, even in their 'B' division, would make sense. They did use to do that yonks back I believe.
Chin Music is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd March 2013, 20:56   #39
sweatysock
Established International
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Team(s): Sussex & Scotland
Posts: 3,849
yep that might work as well/instead
sweatysock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd March 2013, 22:26   #40
geoff_boycotts_grandmother
Administrator
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 28,227
Quote:
Originally Posted by sweatysock View Post
They rarely play this form of cricket - and it showed! Reckon if they are serious on getting better, a few Tours v A teams will help them gain the necessary experience - there is a hint of talent there
I think the issue here is probably finance. You'll be able to sell tests rights for enough to subsidise a tour, but not A-team matches.
geoff_boycotts_grandmother is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 04:40.



Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Cricket247.org