Cricket 24/7  

Welcome to the Cricket 24/7.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. There are also more forums available to members, such as the Lounge - where members chat about just about anything under the sun except cricket!

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.


Go Back   Cricket 24/7 > Cricket Discussion Forums > England
Register FAQDonate Members List Calendar Casino Articles Terms of Use Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11th January 2018, 14:26   #4461
oldandfat
County Pro
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Posts: 751
Go through the team and;

Definite's - Root, Anderson
Probable's - Bairstow, Cook

There is question marks against those Root (should he be captain), Anderson (age), Bairstow (should he keep), Cook (one big score and nothing)
And obviously Stokes, but...
The rest you can throw in the air and see where it falls. This is the first time for a long time when different people would select very different teams.
oldandfat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th January 2018, 14:32   #4462
sharky
Posting God
 
sharky's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Sunny Sussex
Team(s): Sussex, England
Posts: 10,617
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1000yardstare View Post
Can't see that happening, who would they choose instead?

They have Strauss sitting in and Flower must put his strong recommendations, if not there as well. Bayliss who knows nothing and Root wanting his previous room mates, Ballance and Vince. Between them they haven't a clue.

Picking 6 bowlers is the worst of all. What team does that?

7 batsmen and 4 bowlers or
6 batsmen, 1 all-rounder, 4 bowlers.
Three seamers, Stokes, a spinner and Moeen looks like the best team we could pick from what's available imo. I don't get the problem with having 6 bowling options if two of them are better batsmen than the batsmen you pick, especially when Bairstow is so good too.
__________________
She was like a candle in the wind...Unreliable
sharky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th January 2018, 14:54   #4463
1000yardstare
Posting Goddess
 
1000yardstare's Avatar
JA 815 Cummins 149 Wagner 147 Curran 21
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: London
Posts: 20,592
Quote:
Originally Posted by sharky View Post
Three seamers, Stokes, a spinner and Moeen looks like the best team we could pick from what's available imo. I don't get the problem with having 6 bowling options if two of them are better batsmen than the batsmen you pick, especially when Bairstow is so good too.
Anderson, Broad, Wood, Stokes, Ali and Dawson. It's just SO wrong.
1000yardstare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th January 2018, 15:21   #4464
geoff_boycotts_grandmother
Administrator
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 27,538
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldandfat View Post
The selectors need sacking.
How is Ballance dropped but Vince, Stoneman, Ali retained?
Still no recognised No.3 in squad, yes I know Livingston played there occasionally but Lancs where actually requested to bat him lower.
"England view the 24-year-old as a Test prospect but do not see him as a No3 Ė his position for this innings Ė and have even requested to Lancashire that he bat at four or five." from https://www.theguardian.com/sport/20...y-warwickshire

GGggrrrhhhh
They all outscored Ballance this series.

And Colin Graves has learnt from the last Ashes fiasco and says "there will be no witch hunt" this time.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michelle Fivefer
It was a poor innings by Bell with the bat.
geoff_boycotts_grandmother is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th January 2018, 16:31   #4465
sanskritsimon
Posting God
 
sanskritsimon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Team(s): Arkholme Bees, Hackney Grasshoppers, Holy Cross Academicals
Posts: 10,316
Quote:
Originally Posted by sharky View Post
Three seamers, Stokes, a spinner and Moeen looks like the best team we could pick from what's available imo. I don't get the problem with having 6 bowling options if two of them are better batsmen than the batsmen you pick, especially when Bairstow is so good too.
I suppose the problem is that throughout the time we've been picking that configuration of team, we've regularly failed to score enough runs, which means there is always pressure to drop a bowler and pick another batsman. Inevitably it's the worst-batting spinner who's dropped, because the media won't stand for "two spinners" playing unless the game is taking place in the subcontinent (incl. UAE), and it's against British principles to pick just the best spinner. Also, it's probably not true that "two of them are better batsmen than the batsmen you pick": Stokes may be, but Moeen has been woeful with the bat recently, and history suggests that he can only be picked as a batsman if the game is taking place in the subcontinent (incl. UAE).
sanskritsimon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th January 2018, 17:27   #4466
sharky
Posting God
 
sharky's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Sunny Sussex
Team(s): Sussex, England
Posts: 10,617
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1000yardstare View Post
Anderson, Broad, Wood, Stokes, Ali and Dawson. It's just SO wrong.
Only Dawson really, who is less likely to get wickets and score runs than Moeen. Bairstow, Stokes and Ali are more than good enough a 5, 6 and 7 to make it work. Plus the less bowling Moeen actually has to do, the better.
__________________
She was like a candle in the wind...Unreliable
sharky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th January 2018, 17:30   #4467
sharky
Posting God
 
sharky's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Sunny Sussex
Team(s): Sussex, England
Posts: 10,617
Quote:
Originally Posted by sanskritsimon View Post
I suppose the problem is that throughout the time we've been picking that configuration of team, we've regularly failed to score enough runs, which means there is always pressure to drop a bowler and pick another batsman. Inevitably it's the worst-batting spinner who's dropped, because the media won't stand for "two spinners" playing unless the game is taking place in the subcontinent (incl. UAE), and it's against British principles to pick just the best spinner. Also, it's probably not true that "two of them are better batsmen than the batsmen you pick": Stokes may be, but Moeen has been woeful with the bat recently, and history suggests that he can only be picked as a batsman if the game is taking place in the subcontinent (incl. UAE).
I can't remember how many times we actually picked that formation of team though, especially at home (twice?). While Moeen had a terrible Ashes I think he got a few hundreds last year and to my eye looks good enough to get in the team as a top 6/7 batsman and second spinner.
__________________
She was like a candle in the wind...Unreliable
sharky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th January 2018, 10:08   #4468
D/L
World Class
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Leeds
Team(s): Yorkshire CCC & England, Wakefield Trinity RLFC, Leeds Carnegie RUFC
Posts: 7,406
Quote:
Originally Posted by sanskritsimon View Post
Glad to see Livingstone in there.
As was Stanley on a much earlier tour.
D/L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th January 2018, 11:10   #4469
Redmachine
International Material
 
Join Date: Jan 2016
Posts: 1,188
Think this team could work this summer

1. Cook
2. Stoneman/Roy
3. Malan
4. Root
5. Stokes
6. Hales/Roy
7. Bairstow
8. Rashid
9. Broad
10. Wood
11. Anderson
Redmachine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th January 2018, 15:05   #4470
Bestie
International Material
 
Join Date: May 2016
Location: Exeter
Posts: 1,349
Don’t think Broad and Anderson are up to ODI cricket these days.
Bestie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th January 2018, 19:02   #4471
Fred
County Pro
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Posts: 632
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bestie View Post
Donít think Broad and Anderson are up to ODI cricket these days.
think that team must have been for tests. Cook & Stoneman in addition to Broad and Anderson fairly unlikely to be in any ODI team.
Fred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th January 2018, 19:28   #4472
sanskritsimon
Posting God
 
sanskritsimon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Team(s): Arkholme Bees, Hackney Grasshoppers, Holy Cross Academicals
Posts: 10,316
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bestie View Post
Donít think Broad and Anderson are up to ODI cricket these days.
I think they'd probably be better than our current ODI opening bowlers, but in their relative dotage they're being saved for more important things.
sanskritsimon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th January 2018, 20:13   #4473
Chin Music
Administrator
 
Chin Music's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: la sala de opinion equivocada
Team(s): ****
Posts: 23,989
With the best will in the world Roy did very poorly when he opened in first class cricket so is not an opening option but would be a middle order option should he play and show appropriate form. Problem is that he might be in the IPL and that would take him out of the equation.
__________________
Quote:
"One of the greatest problems of our time is that many are schooled but few are educated" - Thomas More
Chin Music is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th January 2018, 17:11   #4474
Bestie
International Material
 
Join Date: May 2016
Location: Exeter
Posts: 1,349
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred View Post
think that team must have been for tests. Cook & Stoneman in addition to Broad and Anderson fairly unlikely to be in any ODI team.
Yes I was being somewhat facetious!
Bestie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd January 2018, 16:11   #4475
1000yardstare
Posting Goddess
 
1000yardstare's Avatar
JA 815 Cummins 149 Wagner 147 Curran 21
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: London
Posts: 20,592
A puzzle

Woakes not selected for England T20 for the last two years. I suppose 7 wickets at 36.14 would have lost him his place.

Jordan is the main bowler in England T20s

Woakes snapped up by the KKR 17 wickets at 22.70 and 9th in the IPL wicketaking list of 2017. Jordan played 1 game. Yet after that Jordan makes the T20 squad and not Woakes.

So when the IPL auction takes place Woakes expected to go for more than Jordan, if Jordan is selected at all.
1000yardstare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd January 2018, 16:24   #4476
AJ101
International Material
 
Join Date: Oct 2016
Posts: 1,370
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1000yardstare View Post
A puzzle

Woakes not selected for England T20 for the last two years. I suppose 7 wickets at 36.14 would have lost him his place.

Jordan is the main bowler in England T20s

Woakes snapped up by the KKR 17 wickets at 22.70 and 9th in the IPL wicketaking list of 2017. Jordan played 1 game. Yet after that Jordan makes the T20 squad and not Woakes.

So when the IPL auction takes place Woakes expected to go for more than Jordan, if Jordan is selected at all.
Yeah I said similar before or maybe after the summer T20 against Pakistan, it's hard to tell if they're just resting Woakes or they just don't see him as good enough for the team (which would be rather weird).
AJ101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd January 2018, 19:30   #4477
square leg umpire
Legendary
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: yorkshire
Team(s): yorkshire
Posts: 8,186
Quote:
Originally Posted by AJ101 View Post
Yeah I said similar before or maybe after the summer T20 against Pakistan, it's hard to tell if they're just resting Woakes or they just don't see him as good enough for the team (which would be rather weird).
Probably being rested as he plays in both he other formats. The same reason Ali and Bairstow are being rested. The management wanted to rest Root also but he is after an IPL contract.
square leg umpire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd January 2018, 00:41   #4478
1000yardstare
Posting Goddess
 
1000yardstare's Avatar
JA 815 Cummins 149 Wagner 147 Curran 21
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: London
Posts: 20,592
Quote:
Originally Posted by square leg umpire View Post
Probably being rested as he plays in both he other formats. The same reason Ali and Bairstow are being rested. The management wanted to rest Root also but he is after an IPL contract.
Two years is a long rest. Even when there have been injuries someone else has been called up. Since Woakes debut we have had

Woakes 36.14 econ 9.37 (8)
Dernbach 26.15 econ 8.71 (34)
Finn 21.59 econ 7.28 (21)
Meaker 35.00 econ 8.93 (2)
Stokes 48.50 econ 9.03 (21)
Rankin 24.00 econ 6.00 (2)
Jordan 26.19 econ 8.73 (26)
Gurney 18.33 econ 6.87 (2)
Willey 22.40 econ 8.40 (16)
Wood 12.40 econ 8.85 (2)
Topley 34.60 econ 10.07 (6)
Mills 38.66 econ 7.25 (4)
Curran 16.83 econ 8.41 (3)

Ball in the squad waiting for his T20 debut.
1000yardstare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd January 2018, 07:08   #4479
sharky
Posting God
 
sharky's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Sunny Sussex
Team(s): Sussex, England
Posts: 10,617
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1000yardstare View Post
Two years is a long rest. Even when there have been injuries someone else has been called up. Since Woakes debut we have had

Woakes 36.14 econ 9.37 (8)
Dernbach 26.15 econ 8.71 (34)
Finn 21.59 econ 7.28 (21)
Meaker 35.00 econ 8.93 (2)
Stokes 48.50 econ 9.03 (21)
Rankin 24.00 econ 6.00 (2)
Jordan 26.19 econ 8.73 (26)
Gurney 18.33 econ 6.87 (2)
Willey 22.40 econ 8.40 (16)
Wood 12.40 econ 8.85 (2)
Topley 34.60 econ 10.07 (6)
Mills 38.66 econ 7.25 (4)
Curran 16.83 econ 8.41 (3)

Ball in the squad waiting for his T20 debut.
That probably answers your question. If Dernbach averages 10 less than you at a cheaper run rate you can't be that good.
__________________
She was like a candle in the wind...Unreliable
sharky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd January 2018, 11:00   #4480
geoff_boycotts_grandmother
Administrator
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 27,538
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1000yardstare View Post
Two years is a long rest. Even when there have been injuries someone else has been called up. Since Woakes debut we have had

Woakes 36.14 econ 9.37 (8)
Dernbach 26.15 econ 8.71 (34)
Finn 21.59 econ 7.28 (21)
Meaker 35.00 econ 8.93 (2)
Stokes 48.50 econ 9.03 (21)
Rankin 24.00 econ 6.00 (2)
Jordan 26.19 econ 8.73 (26)
Gurney 18.33 econ 6.87 (2)
Willey 22.40 econ 8.40 (16)
Wood 12.40 econ 8.85 (2)
Topley 34.60 econ 10.07 (6)
Mills 38.66 econ 7.25 (4)
Curran 16.83 econ 8.41 (3)

Ball in the squad waiting for his T20 debut.
Uncanny.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michelle Fivefer
It was a poor innings by Bell with the bat.
geoff_boycotts_grandmother is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 06:02.



Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
© Cricket247.org