Cricket 24/7  

Welcome to the Cricket 24/7.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. There are also more forums available to members, such as the Lounge - where members chat about just about anything under the sun except cricket!

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.


Go Back   Cricket 24/7 > Cricket Discussion Forums > England
Register FAQDonate Members List Calendar Casino Articles Terms of Use Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 4th September 2018, 23:41   #2141
Jock McTuffnel v3
World Class
 
Jock McTuffnel v3's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Cambridge
Team(s): England
Posts: 6,782
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fatslogger View Post
I am not confident but Iíd certainly take him on tour and expect him to be in the side. A team including two or three seam bowling all rounders, topped up with one of Broad or Anderson if only playing two of them, Moeen, Rashid and Leach would have nice balance to the attack and still a strong lower middle order, especially if itís all three seam bowling all rounders playing. The top order batting will probably still be awful though and I think Bangladesh showed us how much success weíd expect in those sorts of conditions with our somewhat inferior spinners. Could be an interesting series though.
Iíd be amazed if we donít get thrashed - especially as all focus will be on the World Cup.
__________________
Jock McTuffnel v3 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 5th September 2018, 00:22   #2142
Fatslogger
Self Confessed Mentalist
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Hitchin
Team(s): England and Liverpool
Age: 42
Posts: 43,601
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jock McTuffnel v3 View Post
Iíd be amazed if we donít get thrashed - especially as all focus will be on the World Cup.
The Sri Lankans have quite a few of their own problems. Iíll be happy enough to lay England if the prices look tight but itís far from impossible that weíll win.
__________________
Work is the curse of the drinking classes - Wilde
Fatslogger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th September 2018, 07:55   #2143
AJ101
International Material
 
Join Date: Oct 2016
Posts: 1,798
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fatslogger View Post
The Sri Lankans have quite a few of their own problems. Iíll be happy enough to lay England if the prices look tight but itís far from impossible that weíll win.
I see it as very similar to the Bangladesh series of 2 years ago, Sri Lanka have problems throughout their team and will probably aim (like they did against SA last month) to make it a shoot out by preparing pitches that spin from ball one.

Personally I like those matches as something a bit different even if they do tend to be over quite quickly (it's not as though matches in England go the full 5 days often!)
AJ101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th September 2018, 08:03   #2144
Fatslogger
Self Confessed Mentalist
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Hitchin
Team(s): England and Liverpool
Age: 42
Posts: 43,601
Quote:
Originally Posted by AJ101 View Post
I see it as very similar to the Bangladesh series of 2 years ago, Sri Lanka have problems throughout their team and will probably aim (like they did against SA last month) to make it a shoot out by preparing pitches that spin from ball one.

Personally I like those matches as something a bit different even if they do tend to be over quite quickly (it's not as though matches in England go the full 5 days often!)
Agree, yes. Is worth remembering that apart from India totally dismantling them last time they toured, SLís recent home record is pretty good. They wiped out Aus a couple of years ago (might have been three, too lazy to check) and SA just recently.
__________________
Work is the curse of the drinking classes - Wilde
Fatslogger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th September 2018, 09:21   #2145
AJ101
International Material
 
Join Date: Oct 2016
Posts: 1,798
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fatslogger View Post
Agree, yes. Is worth remembering that apart from India totally dismantling them last time they toured, SL’s recent home record is pretty good. They wiped out Aus a couple of years ago (might have been three, too lazy to check) and SA just recently.
I would expect India to dismantle this current SL side they're much stronger, conditions will suit their batsman and they have no problem playing with multiple spinners what with Jadeja waiting in the wings and others.

Aus in SL was strange Starc seemed to be the only Aussie bowler that really prospered as I remember. I just had a look and it was 2 years ago I didn't think it was that long ago but then the Ashes were 9 months back, Herath took 28 wickets @ 12.75! At least if Root is captain we may win the toss and be able to bat first.
AJ101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th September 2018, 09:24   #2146
Sir Coolerking
International Material
 
Sir Coolerking's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Berks
Team(s): England, Sussex, Portsmouth
Posts: 1,158
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fatslogger View Post
Agree, yes. Is worth remembering that apart from India totally dismantling them last time they toured, SLís recent home record is pretty good. They wiped out Aus a couple of years ago (might have been three, too lazy to check) and SA just recently.
I had a little look - it was 2016 and Aus had 5 out of 6 innings at 203 or less.
Sir Coolerking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th September 2018, 14:39   #2147
JRC67
International Material
 
Join Date: Oct 2015
Posts: 1,702
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir Virgs and Zamora View Post
It has been a while since gbg produced some leading English spinners analysis.

We will be playing on raging turners in Sri Lanka and there is not a bowler I would rather have bowl for my side over leach. Surely he will tour and play. And probably be leading wicket taker for us.
The ball will swing prodigeously for the first 20 overs. Thereafter the seamers will struggle to do more than contain.
JRC67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th September 2018, 01:50   #2148
1000yardstare
Posting Goddess
 
1000yardstare's Avatar
JA 851 Cummins 149 Wagner 147 TCurran 21 SCurran 15
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: London
Posts: 21,014
Quote:
Originally Posted by JRC67 View Post
The ball will swing prodigeously for the first 20 overs. Thereafter the seamers will struggle to do more than contain.
http://stats.espncricinfo.com/ci/eng...s;type=bowling

NZ's Boult and Southee took 15 wickets in this match.
1000yardstare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th September 2018, 05:07   #2149
JRC67
International Material
 
Join Date: Oct 2015
Posts: 1,702
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1000yardstare View Post
http://stats.espncricinfo.com/ci/eng...s;type=bowling

NZ's Boult and Southee took 15 wickets in this match.
13 of the 15 were within the first 15 overs with the first or second new ball. There are quite a few examples of seamers picking up lots of wickets quickly with the new ball in Sri Lanka, Hoggard and Anderson have done it. Overs 20 to 80 tend to be far tougher. There may be an odd exception but I think every test we've won in Sri Lanka a seamer (swing bowler) has taken a lot of wickets with a new ball. Colombo and Galle it can swing far more than a new ball in England. You need the right type of seamer bowling and they need to hit their line from the start because as soon as the shine goes it doesn't deviate much if at all.
JRC67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th September 2018, 13:53   #2150
geoff_boycotts_grandmother
Administrator
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 28,227
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir Virgs and Zamora View Post
It has been a while since gbg produced some leading English spinners analysis.

We will be playing on raging turners in Sri Lanka and there is not a bowler I would rather have bowl for my side over leach. Surely he will tour and play. And probably be leading wicket taker for us.
Top spinners in county cricket this season - averages (div 2 in italics)
Bell_Drummond 4.0
J. Root 7.40
Alsop 12.0
Westley 14.0
Poysden 14.60
Ali 16.18
K. Bull 17.25
W. Root 18.33
R. Jones 19.00
Steel 19.66
Denly 21.23
Sisodyia 21.57

Seems to be that a batsman who can bowl spin is the way to go.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michelle Fivefer
It was a poor innings by Bell with the bat.
geoff_boycotts_grandmother is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th September 2018, 23:15   #2151
Fatslogger
Self Confessed Mentalist
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Hitchin
Team(s): England and Liverpool
Age: 42
Posts: 43,601
Quote:
Originally Posted by geoff_boycotts_grandmother View Post
Top spinners in county cricket this season - averages (div 2 in italics)
Bell_Drummond 4.0
J. Root 7.40
Alsop 12.0
Westley 14.0
Poysden 14.60
Ali 16.18
K. Bull 17.25
W. Root 18.33
R. Jones 19.00
Steel 19.66
Denly 21.23
Sisodyia 21.57

Seems to be that a batsman who can bowl spin is the way to go.
Or that sample sizes for occasional bowlers are small enough for anomalies to be thrown up much more often. Clearly Ali did well though.
__________________
Work is the curse of the drinking classes - Wilde
Fatslogger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th September 2018, 07:22   #2152
Ali TT
Posting God
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 19,131
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fatslogger View Post
Or that sample sizes for occasional bowlers are small enough for anomalies to be thrown up much more often. Clearly Ali did well though.
When you account for that, you're really only left with Ali, Leach and Virdi as having passable seasons in Div 1 and Denly, Cartwright and Briggs in Div 2.
__________________
WARNING
Reading the above post may cause bouts of nausea.
Ali TT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th September 2018, 14:57   #2153
geoff_boycotts_grandmother
Administrator
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 28,227
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ali TT View Post
When you account for that, you're really only left with Ali, Leach and Virdi as having passable seasons in Div 1 and Denly, Cartwright and Briggs in Div 2.
I'd like to see some ground adjusted stats as well. I wonder if England's expected averages (or whatever they call it) does that?
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michelle Fivefer
It was a poor innings by Bell with the bat.
geoff_boycotts_grandmother is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 16:44   #2154
1000yardstare
Posting Goddess
 
1000yardstare's Avatar
JA 851 Cummins 149 Wagner 147 TCurran 21 SCurran 15
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: London
Posts: 21,014
@CricProf
In FC cricket in England over the last two seasons, @WorcsCCC opener Daryl Mitchell has faced 684 deliveries from spinners, averaging 95.20.

No opener to face that many balls against spin has a higher average against them than Mitchell.
1000yardstare is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 12:55.



Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
© Cricket247.org