Cricket 24/7  

Welcome to the Cricket 24/7.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. There are also more forums available to members, such as the Lounge - where members chat about just about anything under the sun except cricket!

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.


Go Back   Cricket 24/7 > Cricket Discussion Forums > The Kim Jones Domestic Cricket Forum
Register FAQDonate Members List Calendar Casino Articles Terms of Use Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12th May 2011, 18:32   #10121
Parr Stand
County Pro
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Nottingham
Team(s): Nottinghamshire County Cricket Club
Posts: 701
Quote:
Originally Posted by zydol View Post
Swann as come off - didn't look very interested im sorry to say

just goes to show you how poor we battered this morning every wicket a ***** shot

We have been hammered
The commentators remarked that Swann was stretching him hamstring this morning after an appeal for a stumping this morning. When I heard that I thought it would give him an excuse not to play next Wednesday.

A disappointingly poor all-round performance by Notts in this game and that mad half hour yesterday afternoon didn't help the cause. Can't see us beating a full strength Warwickshire side next week, in fact I can't see us beating the Unicorns on Sunday.
Parr Stand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th May 2011, 19:35   #10122
YAMS
Banned
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 7,352
Quote:
Originally Posted by YAMS View Post
No Franks? WTF?

He's our best player.
Quote:
Originally Posted by YAMS View Post
Broad for Franks though? Both should be playing.
You don't not play your best player.

I'm not saying he would have saved us but he's our VC and imo has been our best player this season. Could easily have dropped the innefective Fletcher for Broad.

Other than Broad's destruction of Warks last season I don't think the two England players have brough us anything at all. All they have done is upset the balance of the team and make us look disjointed and unprofessional.
YAMS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th May 2011, 20:04   #10123
Gilo's Doosra
Established International
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Boston, Lincs
Team(s): Notts, England
Age: 26
Posts: 3,441
Funny thing is I don't think many of us would disagree with you about Franko. I would've given Adams a rest for Broad this week and Fletch the next one - AA has had a few problems already this year and the guy's 35, but Newell seems determined to bowl him into the ground.

I think it's Swann's availability that messes us up more than anything by disrupting the 4 seamers + Sammy model. Broad has been class for us, but I'd rather just have Swann for OD stuff.

Our team next week is going to be horrific.
Gilo's Doosra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th May 2011, 20:45   #10124
zydol
International Cricketer
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Linby
Team(s): Nottingham Forest Notts county Mansfield Hucknall Town Nottingham Panthers
Posts: 2,002
Quote:
Originally Posted by YAMS View Post
You don't not play your best player.

I'm not saying he would have saved us but he's our VC and imo has been our best player this season. Could easily have dropped the innefective Fletcher for Broad.

Other than Broad's destruction of Warks last season I don't think the two England players have brough us anything at all. All they have done is upset the balance of the team and make us look disjointed and unprofessional.
i am agreeing with you on this yams.

also swann and broad haven't played at all this year, so i dont expect them to come in and take 5 wkts each and score shed loads.

All we doing is giving them match hardest for england which is ****ing up Notts balance in the team. For me i would not play them unless they have played for England and have been dropped and need to prove themselves

For me England can **** off - Notts first for me every-time
zydol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th May 2011, 21:34   #10125
KP Nuts
County Pro
 
KP Nuts's Avatar
When 50,000 Aussies are shouting, you've got 'em worried
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Nottingham
Team(s): Notts, and super Notts
Posts: 573
Quote:
Originally Posted by YAMS View Post
You don't not play your best player.

I'm not saying he would have saved us but he's our VC and imo has been our best player this season. Could easily have dropped the innefective Fletcher for Broad.

Other than Broad's destruction of Warks last season I don't think the two England players have brough us anything at all. All they have done is upset the balance of the team and make us look disjointed and unprofessional.
I'm going to also concur.

I have been historically critical of Franks (past two seasons aside) because of what could have been. But over the past two seasons he has been the glue in the side. Dependable with bat and ball (except when opening either!). A real Notts man.

Would probably not have made the difference to a loss, but would certainly have decreased the deficit.
__________________
Thank you Chris Read - Notts Legend
KP Nuts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th May 2011, 08:51   #10126
Petarea
Posting God
 
Petarea's Avatar
Pub bore, with a generously tenuous grip on reality
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 13,256
Quote:
Originally Posted by zydol View Post
Swann as come off - didn't look very interested im sorry to sayjust goes to show you how poor we battered this morning every wicket a ***** shot

We have been hammered
Standard.
__________________
“When it becomes serious, you have to lie.”

“We all know what to do, we just don’t know how to get re-elected after we’ve done it.”
Petarea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th May 2011, 09:15   #10127
Petarea
Posting God
 
Petarea's Avatar
Pub bore, with a generously tenuous grip on reality
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 13,256
Quote:
Originally Posted by KP Nuts View Post
I'm going to also concur.

I have been historically critical of Franks (past two seasons aside) because of what could have been. But over the past two seasons he has been the glue in the side. Dependable with bat and ball (except when opening either!). A real Notts man.

Would probably not have made the difference to a loss, but would certainly have decreased the deficit.
I too am fully in agreement with this, but that's not surprising I guess, as to me this is no different from the way we ****ed around with the T20 side for last seasons semi's in order to accommodate Swann's ego.

Just because they are 'England stars' does not mean they will simply walk into the team and produce cricket of such brilliance we could only dream of our mere mortal regulars achieving such levels.

Sometimes, as I banged on about in the run up to the T20's, a team is better than the sum of its parts. And what drives this to happen is team spirit and character.

I too have been very very critcal of Franks, probably the worst offender on here, but credit where it is due, he finally stepped up last season and this and has been one of our best performers over the last 18 months, in all manner of ways. I think someone called him the glue that has kept the side together and I think that is a pretty spot on analysis of the guy over the last couple of seasons. Making him of all players the fall guy so we can try and play a couple of England players into form was a shocker of a decision and I hope he bounces back ok. Patto's form after his disgraceful removal from our T20 side last season took him well over a month to get back into the groove again.

And as for Swann. The bloke is an utter utter ****! We are going to be depleted to **** next week. At such times, you would expect to be able to look to your 'stars' to raise their game, lift the team and drive them on. Anyone on here believe Swann has the character to do this? Anyone??? To lead from the front a side he doesn't really want to even be playing for? Anyone???

I don't care how depleted we are next week, I'd far rather we played some 18 year old kid from the 2nd's as our spinning option who wants to wear the shirt, than that egotistical clown who couldn't even outbowl a player who has copped plenty of flak over the last couple of years for being a lazy, uninterested, fat, mentally weak waste of space who shouldn't even be playing at County level. And it's only recently he has even worked on his bowling to any great degree.

Swann more than anyone, as pointed out by Zyds, messes up our team completely. Broad can quite easily slot in for a Fletcher or a Shreck and at least he wants to play and win when he does so.

Newell, please make our last match the last one Swann ever turns out for please and tell the ECB to go **** themselves!!
__________________
“When it becomes serious, you have to lie.”

“We all know what to do, we just don’t know how to get re-elected after we’ve done it.”
Petarea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th May 2011, 09:19   #10128
Baron Shakattak Greenback
International Cricketer
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: London
Team(s): Notts, England, Shakib-al-Hasan
Posts: 2,297
We really need to find some batsmen who know what it means to guts an innings out. Voges did it well yesterday until he got out in pretty limp fashion, but a lot of the dismissals were a bit too Hollywood. I don't buy the "it's the way they play" defence, I never bought it with Pietersen and I don't buy it with our boys, in the match situation, with that much time left, we should have been batting time, picking up the runs where possible, certainly until Broad came in.

Sussex showed that it wasn't a bad pitch by cantering to victory. Really to be bowled out for 150-odd was the biggest problem, but the situation wasn't irretrievable even at that stage.
Baron Shakattak Greenback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th May 2011, 12:29   #10129
zydol
International Cricketer
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Linby
Team(s): Nottingham Forest Notts county Mansfield Hucknall Town Nottingham Panthers
Posts: 2,002
Quote:
Originally Posted by Petarea View Post
I too am fully in agreement with this, but that's not surprising I guess, as to me this is no different from the way we ****ed around with the T20 side for last seasons semi's in order to accommodate Swann's ego.

Just because they are 'England stars' does not mean they will simply walk into the team and produce cricket of such brilliance we could only dream of our mere mortal regulars achieving such levels.

Sometimes, as I banged on about in the run up to the T20's, a team is better than the sum of its parts. And what drives this to happen is team spirit and character.

I too have been very very critcal of Franks, probably the worst offender on here, but credit where it is due, he finally stepped up last season and this and has been one of our best performers over the last 18 months, in all manner of ways. I think someone called him the glue that has kept the side together and I think that is a pretty spot on analysis of the guy over the last couple of seasons. Making him of all players the fall guy so we can try and play a couple of England players into form was a shocker of a decision and I hope he bounces back ok. Patto's form after his disgraceful removal from our T20 side last season took him well over a month to get back into the groove again.

And as for Swann. The bloke is an utter utter ****! We are going to be depleted to **** next week. At such times, you would expect to be able to look to your 'stars' to raise their game, lift the team and drive them on. Anyone on here believe Swann has the character to do this? Anyone??? To lead from the front a side he doesn't really want to even be playing for? Anyone???

I don't care how depleted we are next week, I'd far rather we played some 18 year old kid from the 2nd's as our spinning option who wants to wear the shirt, than that egotistical clown who couldn't even outbowl a player who has copped plenty of flak over the last couple of years for being a lazy, uninterested, fat, mentally weak waste of space who shouldn't even be playing at County level. And it's only recently he has even worked on his bowling to any great degree.

Swann more than anyone, as pointed out by Zyds, messes up our team completely. Broad can quite easily slot in for a Fletcher or a Shreck and at least he wants to play and win when he does so.

Newell, please make our last match the last one Swann ever turns out for please and tell the ECB to go **** themselves!!
It might have been your comments on here pet that inspired Franks, you never know, i did hear that some of the players read this site but i am not 100% on that, does anyone out there know?

just wondering if the same players who got us to the 20/20 final last year will try as hard this year, knowing full well that if we do get to the finals again they will be left out
zydol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th May 2011, 12:38   #10130
zydol
International Cricketer
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Linby
Team(s): Nottingham Forest Notts county Mansfield Hucknall Town Nottingham Panthers
Posts: 2,002
Quote:
Originally Posted by Baron Shakattak Greenback View Post
We really need to find some batsmen who know what it means to guts an innings out. Voges did it well yesterday until he got out in pretty limp fashion, but a lot of the dismissals were a bit too Hollywood. I don't buy the "it's the way they play" defence, I never bought it with Pietersen and I don't buy it with our boys, in the match situation, with that much time left, we should have been batting time, picking up the runs where possible, certainly until Broad came in.

Sussex showed that it wasn't a bad pitch by cantering to victory. Really to be bowled out for 150-odd was the biggest problem, but the situation wasn't irretrievable even at that stage.

What you need is a batting coach who knows what hes talking about.

Mark Butcher on sky after watching our openers for a few balls pick up faults with their batting.

Paul johnson as got some good young batsmen to work with if any of them fail to push on then johnson should be sacked. Myself i sack him now hes hopeless, Our batting as been rubbish for ages, so some of the blame must be at his door
zydol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th May 2011, 12:42   #10131
Petarea
Posting God
 
Petarea's Avatar
Pub bore, with a generously tenuous grip on reality
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 13,256
Quote:
Originally Posted by zydol View Post
It might have been your comments on here pet that inspired Franks, you never know, i did hear that some of the players read this site but i am not 100% on that, does anyone out there know?
just wondering if the same players who got us to the 20/20 final last year will try as hard this year, knowing full well that if we do get to the finals again they will be left out
Interesting, although if Newell does, he must have skin thicker than Rino hide

Good point about the motivation of the players this time around as well. Team spirit got us through some seriously sticky moments in that tournament last year. I doubt it will be the same again. Similarly the CC as well now.
__________________
“When it becomes serious, you have to lie.”

“We all know what to do, we just don’t know how to get re-elected after we’ve done it.”
Petarea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th May 2011, 12:47   #10132
Petarea
Posting God
 
Petarea's Avatar
Pub bore, with a generously tenuous grip on reality
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 13,256
Quote:
Originally Posted by zydol View Post
What you need is a batting coach who knows what hes talking about.

Mark Butcher on sky after watching our openers for a few balls pick up faults with their batting.

Paul johnson as got some good young batsmen to work with if any of them fail to push on then johnson should be sacked. Myself i sack him now hes hopeless, Our batting as been rubbish for ages, so some of the blame must be at his door
I agree about Jonno. Our appalling ability to make batsmen worse has gone on for too long to be a coincidence. I like the bloke, loved him when he played for us and was pleased to see him kept on by the club. He was never bigheaded either, accepting he was lucky enough to be part of a Notts side that won him more medals than many players with better ability than himslf achieved in their careers.

But I really cannot take much more of our top order (not just the openers) continued failures.
__________________
“When it becomes serious, you have to lie.”

“We all know what to do, we just don’t know how to get re-elected after we’ve done it.”
Petarea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th May 2011, 13:25   #10133
Sir Virgs and Zamora
Posting God
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 21,281
Sack all of them. Who cares you won the title and doing okay so far this year?
Sir Virgs and Zamora is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th May 2011, 13:32   #10134
Petarea
Posting God
 
Petarea's Avatar
Pub bore, with a generously tenuous grip on reality
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 13,256
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir Virgs and Zamora View Post
Sack all of them. Who cares you won the title and doing okay so far this year?
We are Nottinghamshire! We demand excellence. If we were better still, we wouldn't have to rely on other teams choking in order to win silverware. That is where I would like us to be.
__________________
“When it becomes serious, you have to lie.”

“We all know what to do, we just don’t know how to get re-elected after we’ve done it.”
Petarea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th May 2011, 13:34   #10135
Sir Virgs and Zamora
Posting God
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 21,281
Quote:
Originally Posted by Petarea View Post
We are Nottinghamshire! We demand excellence. If we were better still, we wouldn't have to rely on other teams choking in order to win silverware. That is where I would like us to be.
Kent got relegated so tredders won't be able to skittle them again.
Sir Virgs and Zamora is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th May 2011, 15:29   #10136
A Newbie
Posting God
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 17,613
The Newcastle/Chelsea of the CCC?

Faceitous take on things aside, every time I come across this thread or just Notts discussion in general, seems it's never enough. What I'm trying to say is, are expectations perhaps a bit on the lofty side?

Last edited by A Newbie : 13th May 2011 at 15:42.
A Newbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th May 2011, 16:01   #10137
Parr Stand
County Pro
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Nottingham
Team(s): Nottinghamshire County Cricket Club
Posts: 701
I notice that so far there isn't a report our Notts website about the third day's play in the game between Sussex Second Eleven and Notts Seconds. Notts were on top after two days, so I wonder if Notts triumphed and whoever is in charge of Notts website is too embarrassed to put up the report about it after the first teams diabolical performance at Hovel.
Parr Stand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th May 2011, 17:07   #10138
sweatysock
Established International
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Team(s): Sussex & Scotland
Posts: 3,853
a double defeat for you, im delighted to say

http://www.sussexcricket.co.uk/news/...+Notts+double/
sweatysock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th May 2011, 17:09   #10139
geoff_boycotts_grandmother
Administrator
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 28,319
Devon Endersby - great name.
geoff_boycotts_grandmother is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th May 2011, 17:29   #10140
ChivaIsDead
International Cricketer
 
ChivaIsDead's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 2,929
Quote:
Originally Posted by Petarea View Post
We are Nottinghamshire! We demand excellence. If we were better still, we wouldn't have to rely on other teams choking in order to win silverware. That is where I would like us to be.
I don't think it's a question of demanding excellence, nor even consistency. We are going to win and lose matches because the standard of county cricket is not all that great. Any side can triumph over another. In that respect, we have done excellently to not only compete in recent seasons, but to stay above sides with better players (players who are better than our best player, that is) and greater resources (money-wise, Nottinghamshire may be a 'test county', but the examples of Sidebottom, Kirby and Gemaal, all of whom we supposedly made offers to (I'm not sure we did in the latter two cases, but who knows) if true would suggest that other counties have more money to throw about). What I do want to see is a batting line-up that functions with reasonable regularity. A batting line-up that has made collapsing the norm is not acceptable. Nottinghamshire has made a rearguard, tail-end fightback the standard and that's not good enough. In the past, there was a tendency to blame Newell for our ills. I think it's become clear that Newell does a very good job, unfortunately, he is only as good as the components around him.
__________________

ChivaIsDead is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 13:56.



Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
© Cricket247.org