Cricket 24/7  

Welcome to the Cricket 24/7.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. There are also more forums available to members, such as the Lounge - where members chat about just about anything under the sun except cricket!

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.


Go Back   Cricket 24/7 > Cricket Discussion Forums > The Kim Jones Domestic Cricket Forum
Register FAQDonate Members List Calendar Casino Articles Terms of Use Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 8th March 2018, 10:06   #1861
Arachibutyrophobic
International Material
 
Arachibutyrophobic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 1,556
Quote:
Originally Posted by WeAreKent View Post
From what I hear from within the ECB this is simply an old-fashioned personality clash. To put it bluntly, Nash and Graves detest each other and cannot be in the same room without smoke coming out of their ears...
What exactly is your position at the ECB?
Arachibutyrophobic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th March 2018, 10:48   #1862
WeAreKent
Banned
 
Join Date: Sep 2015
Posts: 838
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arachibutyrophobic View Post
What exactly is your position at the ECB?
Impartial observer with good contacts!
WeAreKent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th March 2018, 13:38   #1863
Comte Nom de Plume
County Pro
 
Comte Nom de Plume's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Gloucestershire
Team(s): Worcs and Yorks CCCs
Posts: 548
Quote:
Originally Posted by WeAreKent View Post
From what I hear from within the ECB this is simply an old-fashioned personality clash. To put it bluntly, Nash and Graves detest each other and cannot be in the same room without smoke coming out of their ears...
Wow - I share something with Nash.
Comte Nom de Plume is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th March 2018, 14:42   #1864
Aidan11
Harmisonesque
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Somewhere cold and wet
Posts: 40,271
I can see a breakaway county championship happening in the future.

It may take 20 years but it will happen. It's all been about money with the ECB and it is destroying cricket.
Aidan11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th March 2018, 15:19   #1865
Sir Virgs and Zamora
Posting God
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 21,899
Quote:
Originally Posted by WeAreKent View Post
From what I hear from within the ECB this is simply an old-fashioned personality clash. To put it bluntly, Nash and Graves detest each other and cannot be in the same room without smoke coming out of their ears...
Disagree with anything he said? Do you think he is wrong with prediction of 8 counties? What happens to cricket in all the other counties and regions? This is not Australia with a few states with big cities. What happens to cricket in the south west without Somerset and Gloucester?
Sir Virgs and Zamora is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th March 2018, 15:42   #1866
sharky
Posting God
 
sharky's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Sunny Sussex
Team(s): Sussex, England
Posts: 10,958
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aidan11 View Post
I can see a breakaway county championship happening in the future.

It may take 20 years but it will happen. It's all been about money with the ECB and it is destroying cricket.
I'm not sure about that, unless it was amateur or semi-pro. It may all be about money with the ECB but without that money counties would be a bit screwed and a Championship on its own would make a huge loss.
__________________
She was like a candle in the wind...Unreliable
sharky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th March 2018, 17:17   #1867
WeAreKent
Banned
 
Join Date: Sep 2015
Posts: 838
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aidan11 View Post
I can see a breakaway county championship happening in the future.
The great majority of county CEO's have agreed to support the CC being divivded into three conferences from 2020. The plan is being considered by the ECB later this month and looks likely to go ahead. The non-TMGs have almost unanimously supported it in order to counter the current mismatch between Div One being dominated by the Test match counties and so many minnows not having much chance of getting out of Div Two.

But if we're talking a 20 year time frame, yes, I can see there will have to be some streamlining and a number of counties will ultimately go semi-pro and join the minor counties championship. There simply isn't the money or the talent to susatin a pool of 400 well-paid professional cricketers.

But there will always be cricket in the south-west and everywhere else in the country. If less of it is first-class that doesn't mean that cricket will "die". Cricket didn't die in Durham when it was a minor county, did it?

By 2035 there may well only be a dozen f/c county clubs.But Bristol should surely be a large enough city to sustain a pro team? Those under threat are most likely Northants, Derby, Worcs and Leics, all of which are within easy reach of Trent Bridge and Edgbaston, and Kent and Sussex, whose cachement area is within relatively easy reach of Lords and the Oval.

Durham may have to revert to being a minor county, too.
WeAreKent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th March 2018, 13:11   #1868
WeAreKent
Banned
 
Join Date: Sep 2015
Posts: 838
So Colin Graves sends a stern message to all the ECB haters spreading fake news about English cricket - he's suing 'Dodgy' Dobell.

The only surprise is that it has taken this long for someone to call out George's more uninhibited tabloid tendencies. I recall offering him a friendly word of advice when he made some extremely serious and unsubstantiated allegations about Monty Panesar following his sacking by Sussex.

I suggested he was sailing close to the wind under the laws of libel and he would be well advised when running a story that was damaging to the reputation of an individual (i) to never rush into print unless he had two independent sources and (ii) that the accusations should be put to the subject for right of reply.

He replied that his personal code of ethics didn't believe in either requirement. I don't like to see a fellow journo being sued and so it gives me no pleasure that he's now probably wishing he had listened!
WeAreKent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd April 2018, 13:56   #1869
geoff_boycotts_grandmother
Administrator
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 28,417
Quote:
Originally Posted by WeAreKent View Post
The only surprise is that it has taken this long for someone to call out George's more uninhibited tabloid tendencies. I recall offering him a friendly word of advice when he made some extremely serious and unsubstantiated allegations about Monty Panesar following his sacking by Sussex.

I suggested he was sailing close to the wind under the laws of libel and he would be well advised when running a story that was damaging to the reputation of an individual (i) to never rush into print unless he had two independent sources and (ii) that the accusations should be put to the subject for right of reply.

He replied that his personal code of ethics didn't believe in either requirement. I don't like to see a fellow journo being sued and so it gives me no pleasure that he's now probably wishing he had listened!
You were two days early with this post.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michelle Fivefer
It was a poor innings by Bell with the bat.
geoff_boycotts_grandmother is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd April 2018, 15:14   #1870
Fred
County Pro
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Posts: 969
Quote:
Originally Posted by geoff_boycotts_grandmother View Post
You were two days early with this post.
He seems to have succeeded at least in ensuring that the article has been taken down by cricinfo. And also succeeded in ensuring the mainstream media didn't pick up and run with it. Still copies available (least assume this is the offending piece as is no longer on cricinfo):

http://webcache.googleusercontent.co...lient=safa ri
Fred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd April 2018, 15:43   #1871
geoff_boycotts_grandmother
Administrator
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 28,417
Thanks Fred. I did read that at the time and I'm not sure what the offendinglibellous paragraph was supposed to be.

One wonders if this will be quietly dropped by Graves.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michelle Fivefer
It was a poor innings by Bell with the bat.
geoff_boycotts_grandmother is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd April 2018, 16:43   #1872
Fred
County Pro
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Posts: 969
Quote:
Originally Posted by geoff_boycotts_grandmother View Post
Thanks Fred. I did read that at the time and I'm not sure what the offendinglibellous paragraph was supposed to be.

One wonders if this will be quietly dropped by Graves.
Perhaps he objects to the Thatcher / Blair comparison?

But equally he has perhaps got what he wanted (page not found) from cricinfo - except the internet caches files.
Fred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd April 2018, 21:32   #1873
sanskritsimon
Posting God
 
sanskritsimon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Team(s): Arkholme Bees, Hackney Grasshoppers, Holy Cross Academicals
Posts: 10,848
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred View Post
Thanks for that. It's a pretty frightening read.
sanskritsimon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd April 2018, 22:23   #1874
Aidan11
Harmisonesque
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Somewhere cold and wet
Posts: 40,271
The first two articles are fair comment. I can see how the third would cause a stir but this is an article that needed to be written.

I suspect a lot of cricket lovers won't be sorry when he departs office but by then it will be too late.
Aidan11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th April 2018, 22:10   #1875
Aidan11
Harmisonesque
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Somewhere cold and wet
Posts: 40,271
The article in Private Eye makes for interesting reading.

Unfortunately I can't copy and past the link from my phone.
Aidan11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th April 2018, 22:19   #1876
WeAreKent
Banned
 
Join Date: Sep 2015
Posts: 838
So being sued by Graves and the ECB has got Dodgy Dobbers into Private Eye - a backhanded honour to his outsize ego that will be some compensation for the fact that he's currently crapping his pants and appears to have been sent on gardening leave by cricinfo.

It seems that cricinfo itself is also implicated for illustrating Dobber's polemic with a pic of Graves wearing a Yorkshire tie in front of the Headingley pavilion, which m'learned friends seem to be interepreting as buttressing Dodgy's highly inflammable contention that Graves has a conflict of interest between his roles as ECB chairman and Yorkshire's erstwhile paymaster.

As a fellow journo, I want to support Dodgy in his hour of duress. But he's such a bumptious, full-of-himself tabloid chancer who loves to dish it out, that part of me feels that his hubris meant that he had this coming...

Meanwhile,don't bother reading cricinfo if you want to know what's happening in English cricket this season. The ECB used to share its exclusives between cricinfo and Nick Hoult at the Telegraph. It seems that Houlty will now be getting all of them...
WeAreKent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th April 2018, 23:11   #1877
square leg umpire
Legendary
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: yorkshire
Team(s): yorkshire
Posts: 8,804
one website claimed that the Yorkshire picture was put there because it is one of the few in existence that makes Graves look human. Doesn't seem to have much of a case, perhaps he's doing a Robert Maxwell and using the threat of legal action to silence stories about him.
square leg umpire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th April 2018, 23:19   #1878
Fred
County Pro
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Posts: 969
Quote:
Originally Posted by square leg umpire View Post
one website claimed that the Yorkshire picture was put there because it is one of the few in existence that makes Graves look human. Doesn't seem to have much of a case, perhaps he's doing a Robert Maxwell and using the threat of legal action to silence stories about him.
on one website it was stated:
The ECB told Private Eye that notice had been served because Mr Dobell had implied that Mr Graves runs the ECB in an autocratic manner.

Private Eye asked the ECB whether they would pick up the legal bill for Mr Graves. They told Private Eye that they would because 'Mr Graves has been traduced in his role at Chairman of the ECB."

Private Eye then asked whether the other Directors of the ECB had been consulted on the decision to pursue legal action and they were advised that "No, they were not."


So presumably the ECB - sorry Mr Graves - will be suing private eye next for implying how the ECB is run.
Fred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th April 2018, 10:06   #1879
gmdf
County Pro
 
Join Date: Dec 2016
Posts: 718
Quote:
Originally Posted by square leg umpire View Post
one website claimed that the Yorkshire picture was put there because it is one of the few in existence that makes Graves look human. Doesn't seem to have much of a case, perhaps he's doing a Robert Maxwell and using the threat of legal action to silence stories about him.
gmdf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th April 2018, 10:09   #1880
gmdf
County Pro
 
Join Date: Dec 2016
Posts: 718
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred View Post
on one website it was stated:
The ECB told Private Eye that notice had been served because Mr Dobell had implied that Mr Graves runs the ECB in an autocratic manner.

Private Eye asked the ECB whether they would pick up the legal bill for Mr Graves. They told Private Eye that they would because 'Mr Graves has been traduced in his role at Chairman of the ECB."

Private Eye then asked whether the other Directors of the ECB had been consulted on the decision to pursue legal action and they were advised that "No, they were not."


So presumably the ECB - sorry Mr Graves - will be suing private eye next for implying how the ECB is run.
Better people than Graves & the ECB have tried, and often failed, to sue private Eye successfully!

If this case became extremely expensive (which I doubt will happen) I wonder whether the the counties will be glad that the ECB was so ready to support quixotic legal actions by its Chairman!
gmdf is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 02:40.



Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Cricket247.org