Cricket 24/7  

Welcome to the Cricket 24/7.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. There are also more forums available to members, such as the Lounge - where members chat about just about anything under the sun except cricket!

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.


Go Back   Cricket 24/7 > Cricket Discussion Forums > The Kim Jones Domestic Cricket Forum
Register FAQDonate Members List Calendar Casino Articles Terms of Use Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 15th July 2008, 17:43   #361
William
International Cricketer
 
William's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Team(s): Worcestershire, Hawthorn
Posts: 2,779
Why do Notts insist on picking Adams AND Ealham AND Franks?
William is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th July 2008, 18:49   #362
cabinboy
Posting God
 
cabinboy's Avatar
Do Gooder
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 13,336
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike-field-buss View Post
Anyone had a private email from a Jeanette saying "im new on here" and trying to preach some buddhism bollox?? that never happened on TMSB.

Anyway presume its spam.....

Back to tonight should be a good game, looking for Shaf, Wood and Ealham to step up to the plate toinght. time they dug a half decent game out the bag to be honest. esp Shafayat. He's had more chances than ECB to get something right.
Havent myself but do know that particular user was banned before for sending spam to new members despite never posting themselves.
cabinboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th July 2008, 19:22   #363
Gilo's Doosra
Established International
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Boston, Lincs
Team(s): Notts, England
Age: 26
Posts: 3,441
Legend - AKA Darren Pattinson - just said on Sky that he's signed a contract for next year and his ambition is just to play well for Notts and help us win the Championship and Pro40. Sounds good. Like Ready - Notts are more important than England!

Nick Knight and Dominic Cork just said he's got no 'wow factor' though, although Cork reckoned he was like Glenn McGrath.
Gilo's Doosra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th July 2008, 21:37   #364
Gilo's Doosra
Established International
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Boston, Lincs
Team(s): Notts, England
Age: 26
Posts: 3,441
Shafayat is a run machine. Did I ever doubt him?
Gilo's Doosra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th July 2008, 22:14   #365
YAMS
Banned
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 7,350
Good performance that. Patel bowled some lovely stuff and Voges again showing to be a class one day player. Well done Shaf as well, need to see more of that from him.

Very strong batting line up with Adams coming in at 10, bodes well.

I'm almost impressed.
YAMS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th July 2008, 22:35   #366
Gilo's Doosra
Established International
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Boston, Lincs
Team(s): Notts, England
Age: 26
Posts: 3,441
Shaf in as opener for the next few CC games then.

Hopefully this is a breakthrough innings!

This may be a bit of unrealistic optimism from me based on the win.

Next year if there's no Huss, Voges is very welcome to come back. Or Huss. It's likely either or will be in either of the Aussie Test/ODI squads so we can just have whichever isn't. Will help Voges to know when exactly he's going to be with us and when he's not. Would still like to see him notch a Championship tonne though.
Gilo's Doosra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th July 2008, 23:29   #367
KP Nuts
County Pro
 
KP Nuts's Avatar
When 50,000 Aussies are shouting, you've got 'em worried
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Nottingham
Team(s): Notts, and super Notts
Posts: 572
Good result and well played by the lads. They really seem to play the game at a canter yet look far better than Worcesterhire in every area.
Maybe the extra 20 overs a side is the deciding factor.
__________________
Thank you Chris Read - Notts Legend
KP Nuts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th July 2008, 08:40   #368
zydol
International Cricketer
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Linby
Team(s): Nottingham Forest Notts county Mansfield Hucknall Town Nottingham Panthers
Posts: 2,002
A good win by Notts - had to win this as last time we was on sky we were pretty awful.

Well played Voges and shaf but lets not get carried away with shafs 67 it was against a very poor bowling attack (apart from Ali)

Wood again failed to impress and for me i would have him out the club asap with clough who must be laughing all the way to the bank. 2 year contract and as bowled about 6 overs in the 20/20 this year
zydol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th July 2008, 09:13   #369
Petarea
Posting God
 
Petarea's Avatar
Pub bore, with a generously tenuous grip on reality
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 12,125
Sadly I dodnt get chance to witness this on Sky but from the reports Ive heard it sounded a pretty comfortable victory. Ive always believed we are better at the longer version of the shorter game, we seem to be able to adapt to situations better etc and I'm pretty confident we can do well in this tournament.

I thought the decision to play Wood over Jeffs was a bit strange. Woods just does not appear to be a limited overs player (or a Div 1 CC opener either!!) and after Jeffs slapped 40 off 38 in the CC, I expected him at the top of the order along with Swann.

Nice to put the yorks game and the T20 behind us though and put up a decent showing on TV for a change.
Petarea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th July 2008, 11:18   #370
Read Warbler
County 1st Team
 
Read Warbler's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Just outside Trent Bridge
Team(s): Notts County Cricket and Notts County Football, well it keeps it simple
Posts: 337
Forget T20

WE ARE TOP OF 2 LEAGUES TODAY
Read Warbler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th July 2008, 11:30   #371
mike-field-buss
County Pro
 
mike-field-buss's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 689
Anyone know why Voges as got to go back home by the way? not sure its been documented and reading between the lines seems he seems a little disappointed with it?

Just wondered?
mike-field-buss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th July 2008, 21:11   #372
KP Nuts
County Pro
 
KP Nuts's Avatar
When 50,000 Aussies are shouting, you've got 'em worried
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Nottingham
Team(s): Notts, and super Notts
Posts: 572
His contract was fixed based on Hussey's expected return date I guess.

It would seem Mick decided to look elsewhere for an alternative.

Who would we have wanted?

Voges is a fair batsmen very similar to say how Blewett was. Hussey on an average day. Nothing spectacular. Laxman is a proven class player in the longer form for which Voges has been very average.

Also reading between the lines mfb I would not expect to see Voges again at TB after this stint.
__________________
Thank you Chris Read - Notts Legend
KP Nuts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th July 2008, 22:02   #373
YAMS
Banned
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 7,350
Quote:
Originally Posted by kp nuts View Post
His contract was fixed based on Hussey's expected return date I guess.

It would seem Mick decided to look elsewhere for an alternative.

Who would we have wanted?

Voges is a fair batsmen very similar to say how Blewett was. Hussey on an average day. Nothing spectacular. Laxman is a proven class player in the longer form for which Voges has been very average.

Also reading between the lines mfb I would not expect to see Voges again at TB after this stint.
Voges looks a far better one day player than 4 day. Guess Newell is hoping Laxman can have more of an influence in the CC. I know which trophy i'd rather win..........

Makes sense to me this move, Hussey dominated the 4 day game for us and Voges has struggled to have the same impact (Although i'd never compare him to the awful Greg Blewett ).

Cork was saying some glowing stuff about Laxman on commentary last nyt. Could be a very shrewd move..........
YAMS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th July 2008, 22:17   #374
Petarea
Posting God
 
Petarea's Avatar
Pub bore, with a generously tenuous grip on reality
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 12,125
Quote:
Originally Posted by YAMS View Post
Voges looks a far better one day player than 4 day. Guess Newell is hoping Laxman can have more of an influence in the CC. I know which trophy i'd rather win..........

Makes sense to me this move, Hussey dominated the 4 day game for us and Voges has struggled to have the same impact (Although i'd never compare him to the awful Greg Blewett ).

Cork was saying some glowing stuff about Laxman on commentary last nyt. Could be a very shrewd move..........
Personally I still feel Voges has ended up with the thin end of a s***y stick. He has come over to play, initially for half a season and then a bit more, always in the shadow of whatever was happening with Hussey. Now we know Hussey isnt coming back, he has got LAxman waiting in the wings, just waiting for his contract to end.
I cant help feel all this must have some kind of impact on his confidence and thus his performances, knowing you are making up the numbers. I dont know the ins and outs, but if the option was there, I would much rather Newell, once knowing Hussey wouldnt be back at all, put some faith in Voges and gave him a contract until the end of the season. Knowing he would be there at the end of the season to see the full fruits of his efforts and feel more part of the team might have really got the best out of him.
Western Australia considered him one of their best players, so he is obviously a better player than his performances have suggested at Notts and I feel his role within the club is a major contributing factor.
Petarea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th July 2008, 22:57   #375
Rey
Administrator
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Castleford
Team(s): Yorkshire
Posts: 14,312
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike-field-buss View Post
Anyone had a private email from a Jeanette saying "im new on here" and trying to preach some buddhism bollox?? that never happened on TMSB.

Anyway presume its spam.....
Quote:
Originally Posted by William View Post
PM one of the mods about it.

Nobody's ever bothered to spam me.
Me neither

Sorry about that folks. She's been dealt with, and her PMs have been deleted. So if you actually wanted to convert to Buddism, you're too late
__________________
"He has sat on the fence so long that the iron has entered his soul."
Rey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th July 2008, 23:34   #376
YAMS
Banned
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 7,350
Quote:
Originally Posted by Petarea View Post
Personally I still feel Voges has ended up with the thin end of a s***y stick. He has come over to play, initially for half a season and then a bit more, always in the shadow of whatever was happening with Hussey. Now we know Hussey isnt coming back, he has got LAxman waiting in the wings, just waiting for his contract to end.
I cant help feel all this must have some kind of impact on his confidence and thus his performances, knowing you are making up the numbers. I dont know the ins and outs, but if the option was there, I would much rather Newell, once knowing Hussey wouldnt be back at all, put some faith in Voges and gave him a contract until the end of the season. Knowing he would be there at the end of the season to see the full fruits of his efforts and feel more part of the team might have really got the best out of him.
Western Australia considered him one of their best players, so he is obviously a better player than his performances have suggested at Notts and I feel his role within the club is a major contributing factor.
Not convinced he's a brilliant four day player Pet.

He paces an innings so well in the one day stuff and has been so impressive for me in all limited formats that I just think he's a far more experienced and effective one day player. He takes responsibility for the side so well.

Sadly though we need a quality 4 day bat way more than a limited over one. Hussey was an absolute legend in the 4 day stuff for us and not as good in the one dayers.

I would like to believe that Newell is looking for a final impetus in the 4 day game and Laxman's test experience will hopefully bring that. Voges has done well for me but he was always going to be measured against the Huss. Thats the way it goes im afraid.
YAMS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th July 2008, 10:12   #377
mike-field-buss
County Pro
 
mike-field-buss's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 689
Agree with both of you, but Pet makes some very valid points regarding
Consistency and confidence. Its a shame for Voges that most of his four day knocks are coming with Notts at "not alot" for 3, So perhaps is not going to be at his best knowing he's got to rescue the openers mess.
I still go back to that Kent home game that we lost when Newell dropped Pattinson to make way for the England lads. I spoke to him after completing one of meny suttle runs with the drinks bucket and i could tell he was a bit gutted, Knowing what he did against them on opening day and how the TB pitch was playing at the time.
His form did seem to waver after that a bit and he went for a few, only to get it back. I do wonder sometines about Mick's thought process's with team moral and confidence but i suppose in signing VVS hes playing his trump card in his quest for his beloved 4 day crown.
mike-field-buss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th July 2008, 10:33   #378
YAMS
Banned
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 7,350
Would you class the CC as the priority MFB?
YAMS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th July 2008, 11:07   #379
mike-field-buss
County Pro
 
mike-field-buss's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 689
Quote:
Originally Posted by YAMS View Post
Would you class the CC as the priority MFB?
Well certainly Micky boy does, and personally it is my favourite form of the game. So maybe yes. Although i remember back when we won it in 2005, the Kudos we got for winning it was next to nothing. things seem to be shifting towards the pyjamas. on that.....

I read last night Glamorg are registering and de-registering players left, right, and centre now they are back in the sham that is the 20/20 In a vain attempt to beat the system in case they get to the jackpot game!! Lets hope their administrators working feverishly away in the back offices of the Swaylec or what ever its called now a days are better then the Yorkshire office junior! What a joke…….
__________________
A summers day, Beer in hand watching cricket. Is there anything finer?
mike-field-buss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th July 2008, 13:43   #380
YAMS
Banned
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 7,350
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike-field-buss View Post
Well certainly Micky boy does, and personally it is my favourite form of the game. So maybe yes. Although i remember back when we won it in 2005, the Kudos we got for winning it was next to nothing. things seem to be shifting towards the pyjamas. on that.....

I read last night Glamorg are registering and de-registering players left, right, and centre now they are back in the sham that is the 20/20 In a vain attempt to beat the system in case they get to the jackpot game!! Lets hope their administrators working feverishly away in the back offices of the Swaylec or what ever its called now a days are better then the Yorkshire office junior! What a joke…….
Glamorgans's attitude to all this leaves a bad taste for me. Clearly they have some influence over the authorities. Nothing to do with this decision as I believe it was eventuially the correct one, just getting test venue status and all that stuff. Their CE punches above his weight as well.

Certainly Notts have come away from all this earning some merit.
YAMS is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 13:12.



Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
© Cricket247.org