Cricket 24/7  

Welcome to the Cricket 24/7.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. There are also more forums available to members, such as the Lounge - where members chat about just about anything under the sun except cricket!

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.


Go Back   Cricket 24/7 > Cricket Discussion Forums > International Cricket
Register FAQDonate Members List Calendar Casino Articles Terms of Use Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 3rd November 2014, 16:09   #1
geoff_boycotts_grandmother
Posting God
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 26,981
Your World XI

For a test, let's say on 2nd January 2015 at Cape Town.

1. David Warner
2. Joe Root
3. Hashim Amla
4. Kumar Sangakkara
5. Younis Khan
6. AB de Villiers+
7. Shiv Chanderpaul
8. Mitchell Johnson
9. Ryan Harris
10. Dale Steyn
11. Kemar Roach
12th man as Cape Town may offer some spin - Rangana Herath
geoff_boycotts_grandmother is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd November 2014, 16:20   #2
sanskritsimon
Legendary
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Team(s): Arkholme Bees, Hackney Grasshoppers, Holy Cross Academicals
Posts: 9,849
I think you put the wrong personal pronoun in the thread title.
sanskritsimon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd November 2014, 16:35   #3
Ali TT
Posting God
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 16,510
Len Hutton
Jack Hobbs
Don Bradman
Sachin Tendulkar
Brian Lara
Gary Sobers*
Keith Miller
Adam Gilchrist+
Shane Warne
Malcolm Marshall
Curtley Ambrose
__________________
WARNING
Reading the above post may cause bouts of nausea.
Ali TT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd November 2014, 16:36   #4
geoff_boycotts_grandmother
Posting God
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 26,981
I didn't think my squad was necessarily definitive and was interested in what yours would be.

I can drop the spinner from the XII if that would make you happier?
geoff_boycotts_grandmother is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd November 2014, 16:44   #5
1000yardstare
Posting Goddess
 
1000yardstare's Avatar
JA 793 Wagner 118 TCurran 5 SCurran 0 Cummins 85
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: London
Posts: 20,114
Quote:
Originally Posted by geoff_boycotts_grandmother View Post
For a test, let's say on 2nd January 2015 at Cape Town.

1. David Warner
2. Joe Root
3. Hashim Amla
4. Kumar Sangakkara
5. Younis Khan
6. AB de Villiers+
7. Shiv Chanderpaul
8. Mitchell Johnson
9. Ryan Harris
10. Dale Steyn
11. Kemar Roach
12th man as Cape Town may offer some spin - Rangana Herath
Wouldn't the World XI being playing against the South Africans? Root wouldn't do very well opening the batting.
1000yardstare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd November 2014, 16:51   #6
geoff_boycotts_grandmother
Posting God
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 26,981
Who would you have partnering Warner ahead of Root?

The world isn't exactly flush with top class openers at the moment.

Root's rated 10th in the ICC rankings. The next highest opener is the woefully out of form Cook at 21.
geoff_boycotts_grandmother is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd November 2014, 16:55   #7
slop
Posting God
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Cambridge
Team(s): South Africa
Age: 41
Posts: 18,805
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1000yardstare View Post
Wouldn't the World XI being playing against the South Africans?


It's the only reason I could see for dropping philanderer in Cape Town.
slop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd November 2014, 17:01   #8
geoff_boycotts_grandmother
Posting God
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 26,981
Quote:
Originally Posted by slop View Post


It's the only reason I could see for dropping philanderer in Cape Town.
Other than Philanderer averaging 59 with the ball this year and, if you're picking him as a Cape Town specialist, match figures of 34.2-2-158-1 last time there.
geoff_boycotts_grandmother is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd November 2014, 17:03   #9
sanskritsimon
Legendary
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Team(s): Arkholme Bees, Hackney Grasshoppers, Holy Cross Academicals
Posts: 9,849
Quote:
Originally Posted by geoff_boycotts_grandmother View Post
... I can drop the spinner from the XII if that would make you happier?
There's no spinner in your XII. Why would there be? Herath's in the specialist fielder position.

He's there presumably because the world isn't exactly flush with top class specialist fielders at the moment.
sanskritsimon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd November 2014, 17:03   #10
1000yardstare
Posting Goddess
 
1000yardstare's Avatar
JA 793 Wagner 118 TCurran 5 SCurran 0 Cummins 85
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: London
Posts: 20,114
Quote:
Originally Posted by geoff_boycotts_grandmother View Post
Who would you have partnering Warner ahead of Root?

The world isn't exactly flush with top class openers at the moment.

Root's rated 10th in the ICC rankings. The next highest opener is the woefully out of form Cook at 21.
Amla or Gayle.
1000yardstare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd November 2014, 17:06   #11
slop
Posting God
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Cambridge
Team(s): South Africa
Age: 41
Posts: 18,805
Quote:
Originally Posted by geoff_boycotts_grandmother View Post
Other than Philanderer averaging 59 with the ball this year and, if you're picking him as a Cape Town specialist, match figures of 34.2-2-158-1 last time there.
Yeah, Cape Town specialist averaging 16 there I think? But go ahead and show us the selective stats that put Roach higher. Are you really going to rate performances against Bangladesh?
slop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd November 2014, 17:07   #12
1000yardstare
Posting Goddess
 
1000yardstare's Avatar
JA 793 Wagner 118 TCurran 5 SCurran 0 Cummins 85
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: London
Posts: 20,114
Quote:
Originally Posted by slop View Post
Yeah, Cape Town specialist averaging 16 there I think? But go ahead and show us the selective stats that put Roach higher.
Roach hasn't even played at Newlands.
1000yardstare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd November 2014, 17:08   #13
slop
Posting God
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Cambridge
Team(s): South Africa
Age: 41
Posts: 18,805
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1000yardstare View Post
Roach hasn't even played at Newlands.
We'll have to assume he won't be injured for this test. Or on strike.
slop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd November 2014, 17:12   #14
1000yardstare
Posting Goddess
 
1000yardstare's Avatar
JA 793 Wagner 118 TCurran 5 SCurran 0 Cummins 85
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: London
Posts: 20,114
Quote:
Originally Posted by slop View Post
We'll have to assume he won't be injured for this test. Or on strike.
1000yardstare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd November 2014, 17:17   #15
geoff_boycotts_grandmother
Posting God
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 26,981
Quote:
Originally Posted by slop View Post
We'll have to assume he won't be injured for this test. Or on strike.
You always want a strike bowler.
geoff_boycotts_grandmother is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd November 2014, 17:18   #16
Sir Virgs and Zamora
Posting God
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 18,386
Joe root is a middle order batsmen. I might be wrong but I am pretty sure I have scored as many runs opening in any form professional cricket as joe root in the last twelve months.
Sir Virgs and Zamora is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd November 2014, 17:19   #17
geoff_boycotts_grandmother
Posting God
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 26,981
Quote:
Originally Posted by slop View Post
Yeah, Cape Town specialist averaging 16 there I think? But go ahead and show us the selective stats that put Roach higher. Are you really going to rate performances against Bangladesh?
It's more that I don't rate Philanderer's performance against Zimbabwe.
geoff_boycotts_grandmother is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd November 2014, 17:20   #18
1000yardstare
Posting Goddess
 
1000yardstare's Avatar
JA 793 Wagner 118 TCurran 5 SCurran 0 Cummins 85
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: London
Posts: 20,114
Quote:
Originally Posted by geoff_boycotts_grandmother View Post
You always want a strike bowler.


Philander averages 57.00 with the bat at Newlands, de Villiers 39.57, Sangakkara 34.50
1000yardstare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd November 2014, 17:24   #19
Summer of '77
World Class
 
Summer of '77's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: London-Essex
Team(s): Kent, Essex, Surrey Stars
Posts: 7,420
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir Virgs and Zamora View Post
Joe root is a middle order batsmen. I might be wrong but I am pretty sure I have scored as many runs opening in any form professional cricket as joe root in the last twelve months.
Well played on your 69 runs, sir!
Summer of '77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd November 2014, 17:48   #20
slop
Posting God
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Cambridge
Team(s): South Africa
Age: 41
Posts: 18,805
Quote:
Originally Posted by geoff_boycotts_grandmother View Post
It's more that I don't rate Philanderer's performance against Zimbabwe.
Riiiight. Funny thread.
slop is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 06:38.



Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Cricket247.org